Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

emmamsk20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2020, 3:44 pm

I'm moving into my first apartment next week and I am very nervous about this and need some advice on how to cope with and adjust to this new environment. Due to COVID I've been living at home and have created a nice, stable environment that I am super comfortable in, so the idea of leaving that for somewhere new is quite frankly terrifying to me. This is especially so since I had really bad dorm/roommate experiences in my freshman & sophomore years of college, experiences which actually led me to get my autism diagnosis. I've made lots of progress since then, but the thought of moving into a new apartment makes me very, VERY anxious. Its a quad with individual doors into bedrooms, so I have a space for privacy, and I will have my ESA dog to help manage anxiety and stress.
I'd really appreciate any advice or tips on how to handle moving into and adjusting to my first apartment, or any advice about living really independently for the first time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:08 pm

Make sure you budget your money well. Pay your bills on time.

Are you a good cook?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2020, 9:42 pm

Even though I am terrible at this, make sure you purchase only what you need when you actually need it.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 8:33 am

When I was in college, sometimes my living arrangements were very noisy and I need quite to study. I did not find this in many of the places I stayed in but rather in the nooks and crannies on campus. There are many areas to be found in libraries and hallways that can provide this.

I guess in today's world you might get a pair of noise cancelling headsets. Some people like to listen to background music when they study.

I guess I would also recommend that you set a good tone with your roommates. Knock on their doors and introduce yourself. Tell them a little bit about yourself and ask them about themselves. Keep it a short friendly introduction. This may be an odd thing for an Aspie to do. But I think it may help. Be brave. There may be times when you need some help and they can help you during these times. You don't have to develop a friendship. Rather you need a friendly introduction in order to establish a link. There may be a time in their lives they need help and if so they may knock on your door.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2020, 10:33 am

When you first move in, make sure you have toilet paper and a shower curtain.