What to do after your Special Interest falls through?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 11:31 am

:cry:

Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:
It is hard to get replacements for special interests, that’s why they are special. 8O

Do you have more than one special/close friend? Work in progress :nerdy:
Do you want one more? :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 12:31 pm

There is an allergy desensitisation method where you have injections of the allergen, starting with a tiny dose and gradually increasing over a long time. I've no idea how you'd find anybody to set that up though, as dog allergy might be rather off the beaten track. Couldn't hurt to talk about it to a doctor I guess. They'd probably say it was too esoteric, but you never know. The materials aren't inherently all that expensive and the patient can self-administer after a bit of training.

Allergies can also come and go, so maybe one day you'll find yours has subsided by itself. Probably not highly likely, but it's at least a sliver of hope.

Meanwhile, it's probably wise to look at new interests, though I can well imagine it won't feel right for some time. Still, if dogs aren't to be, you'd be wise to eventually move on, and you probably will once you've had enough time to grieve and come to terms with it, assuming nothing turns up to reverse the problem. I'm sure it's an awful thing you're going through, and it's a great shame that it went the way it did :-(

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:57 pm

I have a special interest in structural engineering because I'm particularly good at it. I got the right combination of visual imagination, etc. to match the problems. And, I'm cheap, so I hate to waste material. I don't have a special interest in sports because I am not inclined towards teamwork.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 3:05 pm

What about cats? They're basically the same thing except way less work. If you're allergic to the fur you can get a sphinx. Better than no pet, eh?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 3:37 pm

Lunella wrote:
What about cats? They're basically the same thing

Dog: Woof Woof Woof! Snarl! Fake Attack! Tail Wag! Whine.

Cat: Blink.

I would argue that humans domesticated dogs, but cats domesticated humans. They have a large vocabulary, but only say Meow to us.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 6:29 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Lunella wrote:

I would argue that humans domesticated dogs, but cats domesticated humans. They have a large vocabulary, but only say Meow to us.

Loooolz cats can be sneaky though

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:21 pm

Jakki wrote:
:cry:
Pepe wrote:
Jakki wrote:
It is hard to get replacements for special interests, that’s why they are special. 8O

Do you have more than one special/close friend? Work in progress :nerdy:
Do you want one more? :mrgreen:

Oh, now I get it. It was a quoting error.
I hardly ever use the "Nerdy emoji".
I thought I was going nutzo. More than usual. :mrgreen:

You said:
Jakki wrote:
Work in progress :nerdy:

I wish you luck. ;)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:24 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I have a special interest in structural engineering because I'm particularly good at it. I got the right combination of visual imagination, etc. to match the problems. And, I'm cheap, so I hate to waste material. I don't have a special interest in sports because I am not inclined towards teamwork.

I have no time for sports either.
I think many, if not most, aspies are the same.
We are not team players, often/usually.
I can live with that. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 9:29 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Lunella wrote:

O/T.
Studies have determined cats aren't smarter than dogs. They are simply indifferent.

Don't get me wrong. While I am a dog person, I think cats are great, also. :wink:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2020, 12:34 pm

15 yrs of intense special interest and you want me to change, now what , and I do need to change .
But not fitting in with changes .

L0SERPUP
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2021, 12:37 pm

A bit of an update for anyone going through the thread lol :o it’s been about a year and I’ve mostly gotten over the fact that a dog is not happening in my life anytime soon! I do still plan to train my own SD but I have been looking into hypoallergenic breeds (mainly a standard or moyen poodle) but in the meantime I did get a cat becuase I desperately needed an ESA of sorts :) her name is Winona and she is certainly not a replacement for a doggy but a companion nonetheless. I still have a great enthusiasm for dogs but it’s not my main SpIn anymore. If anyone is going through something similar give yourself time to grieve and think about ways you can engage with your prior SpIn that aren’t direct- I follow lots of dog trainers online and am thinking about getting a job as a dog trainer in the meantime! If it’s truly your life love SpIn you’ll find a way :)! I wish I could offer more advice but everyone in this thread has given plenty! Thank you all!