Treatment of High Functioning Vs Lower Functioning on W.P

Page 16 of 26 [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 26  Next

questor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 5:31 am

I learned at an early age that everybody is different, and that we all have our strong points, and we all have our weak points, and that these will differ from one person to the next. This is not a reason to think more or less of someone. There are some who do have a bigger struggle to get thru life, but this is not a reason to add to their struggles by treating them as lower people. There are some who have lives that go a lot better than others, and this is not a reason to treat them as being above others. Whatever our pluses and minuses in life, we are all equally human, and need to be treated that way.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 5:47 am

questor wrote:
I learned at an early age that everybody is different, and that we all have our strong points, and we all have our weak points, and that these will differ from one person to the next. This is not a reason to think more or less of someone. There are some who do have a bigger struggle to get thru life, but this is not a reason to add to their struggles by treating them as lower people. There are some who have lives that go a lot better than others, and this is not a reason to treat them as being above others. Whatever our pluses and minuses in life, we are all equally human, and need to be treated that way.

"We are all equally human"?
You are a purple alien thingy, and I am a skunk. :scratch: 8O

I actually believed everyone thought alike until my early twenties.
That there was only one right way of thinking.
I believed I just always got it wrong. 8O

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 7:44 am

NorthWind wrote:
There have been several people with type 1 autism or Aspergers who don't have 'normal' lives because of autism or comorbitities who have complained about more high functioning people insisting that autism isn't a disability and that any problem they have isn't due to autism but due to not trying and a subforum for mid functioning people could include them.

That shows that those supposedly non-disabled, high functioning, types are still displaying TOM deficits .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 8:42 am

What NorthWind put forward is not "segregation" in the strict sense.

I would advocate for what NorthWind is putting forward.

There should be subforums for so-called "low-functioning/middle-functioning" people----but other people should not be precluded from posting in these subforums. The moderation should be somewhat stricter, and the subforums should be monitored a little more closely than what is normal, in order to prevent folks who believe they are "high-functioning" from posting substance harmful to non-"high-functioning" individuals.

Strict segregation is when, say, a "high-functioning" person is told not to post at all within a subforum devoted solely to
"low-functioning" individuals.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Oct 2020, 8:53 am

The "try harder" stuff is harmful even for the "high functioning".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 8:54 am

magz wrote:
It worked for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 8:58 am

magz wrote:

Totally agree.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Oct 2020, 9:06 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
It worked for me.

Did someone keep telling you to try harder or did you just try harder yourself?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:10 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
It worked for me.
Both, but mostly the latter -- it is ultimately up to the individual to try or to not try.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:13 am

I think that this a very significant clarification, what works for one person may not work for another, on the contrary, it may reinforce the negative feelings of self. Many members have said that this is extremely distressing for them. It is natural for us to recommend what has helped us, sometimes it is very welcome, maybe: "I have tried.......and it helped me.........." may be an effective mode of delivery. Not a direct approach? Then advice cannot be misinterpreted as criticism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:16 am

Teach51 wrote:
I think that this a very significant clarification, what works for one person may not work for another, on the contrary, it may reinforce the negative feelings of self. Many members have said that this is extremely distressing for them. It is natural for us to recommend what has helped us, sometimes it is very welcome, maybe: "I have tried.......and it helped me.........." may be an effective mode of delivery. Not a direct approach? Then advice cannot be misinterpreted as criticism.
Whatever ... my days of giving "Horatio Alger" pep-talks are over.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:23 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
It worked for me.
Both, but mostly the latter -- it is ultimately up to the individual to try or to not try.

You could sit me in front of a mathematical (simple) equation and say try hard to solve it. I could sit my whole lifetime staring at it like a golem. I don't have any mathematical competence whatsoever. I lack the capability to do it. The more teachers would say you are lazy, you can do it, you are bright why are you being so obstinate? The lower my sense of self worth plummeted.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

I actually think you give excellent advice, just not always to the right people in the correct manner.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:28 am

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
It worked for me.
You could sit me in front of a mathematical (simple) equation and say try hard to solve it...
I used to be the same way, and then I studied the calculus text.  Now I am an engineer.  Amazing, is it not?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:30 am

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
I actually think you give excellent advice, just not always to the right people in the correct manner.
Then you are a rare exception.  Most people would rather give up and then complain about being a victim of bad luck.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2020, 9:31 am

yeah, yeah you're great the rest of us suck