Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 3:45 pm

As long as we are talking about similar things...

I HAVE to tell you about a guy I saw board a plane last night. He was a seemingly normal adult man. I would estimate 30-40years old. He spoke with a woman about this plushie that he called a dog, but pointed out these appendages, and said they couldn't figure out what they were. The woman said "Maybe it's a moose. :? ". He said "I HOPE NOT, because my childhood experiences would be dashed!". I thought HOLD THE PHONE! So I asked him.... "So this is your plushie?". And he said YEP!

They continued on and he spoke of how he had a whole collection of them. EACH had its OWN PLACE! EACH had it's OWN number, instead of a name! And what was the number of THIS plushie? NUMBER FIVE! I HAD to laugh! NUMBER FIVE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, he seemed reasonably intelligent, ordered, obsessed, not caring about social norms, and had a comfort object! 8O I don't have a comfort object, but many aspies do. But the other stuff spoke VOLUMES to me.

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 31 Jul 2007, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 4:25 pm

Looks like your "Aspie-dar" is right on the beam!

Merle

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 4:29 pm

I saw this guy in the bookstore while I was waiting to pick up the new Harry Potter. He was pacing back and forth and shaking his hands. First time I'm aware of that I saw a potential Aspie in public. I'm probably much more aware of it now.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2007, 5:40 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
As long as we are talking about similar things...

I HAVE to tell you about a guy I saw board a plane last night. He was a seemingly normal adult man. I would estimate 30-40years old. He spoke with a woman about this plushie that he called a dog, but pointed out these appendages, and said they couldn't figure out what they were. The woman said "Maybe it's a moose. :? ". He said "I HOPE NOT, because my childhood experiences would be dashed!". I thought HOLD THE PHONE! So I asked him.... "So this is your plushie?". And he said YEP!

They continued on and he spoke of how he had a whole collection of them. EACH had its OWN PLACE! EACH had it's OWN number, instead of a name! And what was the number of THIS plushie? NUMBER FIVE! I HAD to laugh! NUMBER FIVE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, he seemed reasonably intelligent, ordered, obsessed, not caring about social norms, and had a comfort object! 8O I don't have a comfort object, but many aspies do. But the other stuff spoke VOLUMES to me.

Steve

sounds like textbook OCD if you ask me...

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Jul 2007, 5:52 pm

i saw this one dude in the library and i knew he had aspergers. yeah it was a very ackeward moment

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2007, 6:09 pm

why should it be an akward moment, go and try and talk to him, u have something in common with him, id love an aspie friend!!

Woman
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2007, 6:50 pm

It's true - I'm sooo much more aware of other Aspies since I've joined WP, too...

I was in the Toys r Us shopping for my daughter's B-Day. Many employees approached me & asked if they could help me find what I need. I hardly ever accept a sales associate's assistance because I just prefer finding it myself and taking my time. So I said "No thanks" to everyone that asked. Suddenly I turned a corner and an employee, struggling to make eye contact & obviously struggling to get the words out, finally managed to ask me what he could help me find.

Even though I didn't know him, I was proud of him for finding a job, being at work, and doing his job. I think we all are familiar with how difficult it can be. So I told him I was looking for an electronic toy with a microphone (like American Idol or something- my kid is such a little actress), and he led me right to them. He even explained the difference between the two products for sale. He had great difficulty and dropped a lot of his sentences, but he really did a good job. By the end of our conversation, he was smiling when he asked if he could help me find anything else.

It was a really cool experience ! :D

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 7:06 pm

Woman wrote:
It's true - I'm sooo much more aware of other Aspies since I've joined WP, too...

I was in the Toys r Us shopping for my daughter's B-Day. Many employees approached me & asked if they could help me find what I need. I hardly ever accept a sales associate's assistance because I just prefer finding it myself and taking my time. So I said "No thanks" to everyone that asked. Suddenly I turned a corner and an employee, struggling to make eye contact & obviously struggling to get the words out, finally managed to ask me what he could help me find.

Even though I didn't know him, I was proud of him for finding a job, being at work, and doing his job. I think we all are familiar with how difficult it can be. So I told him I was looking for an electronic toy with a microphone (like American Idol or something- my kid is such a little actress), and he led me right to them. He even explained the difference between the two products for sale. He had great difficulty and dropped a lot of his sentences, but he really did a good job. By the end of our conversation, he was smiling when he asked if he could help me find anything else.

It was a really cool experience ! :D

I like stories like that! I've been there at times! He struggled, but it was obviously nervousness, or whatever, because he did his *****REAL***** job! A decent salesperson will say their job is NOT to sell, but to find the right product for the customer, so the customer is HAPPY! Granted that is usually just lip service, and not often done, but it IS true.

As for richard, I know where he is coming from. I spoke of that experience with the woman I saw in Washington DC. I knew how she might have felt if I approached her, and it was awkward.

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 28 Jul 2007, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Jul 2007, 7:11 pm

i think its harder for two aspergers people to meet talk, whatever than it is for and an aspergers and a nt. atleast one of them will know when to shutup because the other ones wierd :D 8O