Autism Linked to Increased Early Childhood Hospital Stays

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 6:56 am

ADHD and Autism Linked to Increased Hospital Stays in Early Childhood

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2020, 8:30 am

That's interesting. I have personally never spent the night in a hospital, except for when my son was born. I'm in my 30's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to do it again any time soon. It was a horrible experience. No sleep, awful food, bad smell. Yuck.
I have a phobia of medical doctors and dentists also. Part of this is that I fear pain from medical/dental procedures. The other part is that I hate when doctors criticize you for your weight. They act like you're stupid and don't know that it can cause health problems. It makes me so angry and makes me feel so bad about myself that I avoid going to the doctor anymore. I'd go if I thought there was a serious problem but that's it. I don't mind psychiatrists and therapists because they tend not to criticize.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 8:36 am

Correlation does not equal causation...

... but if this study reveals an exception, then which is the cause and which is the effect?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 11:06 am

Let's see... Personal encounters tells me it resonates.

But why and how such cases end up in a hospital remains unknown. Which caused which?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2020, 11:26 am

As someone who spent their first three months fighting for their life in a hospital I find this incredibly fascinating :o

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2020, 11:43 am

I had an operation for strabismus when I was 2, in 1963.

This was the only time in my life, after the first few days of my life, when I might have had to spend the night in a hospital. I’m not sure if I did.

I was autistic as all heck as a young child.

Still, I do believe some sort of emotional/physical trauma after birth might produce an autistic state--especially in children already genetically predisposed to autism.

I had an exaggerated reaction to be given an EEG when doctors were searching for epilepsy in me. I grew up thinking I had "brain surgery" when it was actually just the EEG. Even early on, I knew that Ben Casey (a TV doctor) was a brain surgeon who did "operations on the brain." There was a room in a building across the street from me which I thought had an apartment that served as an operating room.

whatacrazyride
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Oct 2020, 2:52 pm

You see, I have wondered this; I spent my first seven months in nICU. I had Necrotizing entercolitis (spelling could be wrong), and could not eat anything through mouth until I was three. I was a preemie. I have had many other surgeries, long hospital stays (stays of three months or longer were common; I had at least one such stay almost every year of my childhood), etc, that have probably attributed to my ASD, ADHD, and PTSD. I'm in the hospital now (been here since Aug 7 - still one more surgery to go before I can go home), and yes, I hate it, but what can I do? I don't usually believe studies, as most of them are biased, but this would not surprise me. Although I have nephews and cousins who didn't spend time in hospitals but have ASD. It runs on my mother's side (others have ADHD - that's my dad's side).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2020, 11:07 pm

Sounds like you’ve been through quite a bit.