Why is not being able to ride a bike such a bad thing?

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 3:03 pm

I've honestly never been able to ride a two wheel bicycle properly. I was fine with training wheels until some mean girls at my school who also lived next door to me told everyone I still used them. My mother now says I could always get a three wheeled bicycle with an attached shopping cart. The extra wheel supports the cart so no one could accuse me of riding a tricycle...and adults don't really bully other adults in public that I've noticed like kids do.

I also never was able to ride a bicycle. I have to look at the petals as I am riding (luckily we lived out in the middle of nowhere and I rode on a street where no cars ever came by) When I was younger, it was a big deal to mother that I couldn't ride. I guess maybe she wanted to go on bike rides with me? When I got older, we moved to a place where it was rather dangerous for bicyclists and even here there really isn't anywhere to go; then I moved to a place that had 24 hour public bus service.

But as I grew older and it was becoming obvious I could not ride without looking at the petals, I guess she accepted it and suggested a three wheel bicycle with an attached cart for groceries and such. But I look other places and people are like "How can I get my autistic child to ride a bike?" And I'm like, "Why can't you just accept the fact that maybe they don't want too?" Just like those videos on basically how to force an autistic child to go trick or treating. Maybe they don't want too? Why can't you just accept it?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 3:11 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I've honestly never been able to ride a two wheel bicycle properly. I was fine with training wheels until some mean girls at my school who also lived next door to me told everyone I still used them. My mother now says I could always get a three wheeled bicycle with an attached shopping cart. The extra wheel supports the cart so no one could accuse me of riding a tricycle...and adults don't really bully other adults in public that I've noticed like kids do.

I also never was able to ride a bicycle. I have to look at the petals as I am riding (luckily we lived out in the middle of nowhere and I rode on a street where no cars ever came by) When I was younger, it was a big deal to mother that I couldn't ride. I guess maybe she wanted to go on bike rides with me? When I got older, we moved to a place where it was rather dangerous for bicyclists and even here there really isn't anywhere to go; then I moved to a place that had 24 hour public bus service.

But as I grew older and it was becoming obvious I could not ride without looking at the petals, I guess she accepted it and suggested a three wheel bicycle with an attached cart for groceries and such. But I look other places and people are like "How can I get my autistic child to ride a bike?" And I'm like, "Why can't you just accept the fact that maybe they don't want too?" Just like those videos on basically how to force an autistic child to go trick or treating. Maybe they don't want too? Why can't you just accept it?

Its your life and nobody is forcing you to ride a bike. I was fine with 2 wheels as a kid but didnt bother much after about aged 15.

You`ll find most adults are the same, although riding a bike is good excercise.

I think the obsession with parents getting their kids riding a bike is its just something most kids do & i suppose most parents want to feel their kid has as normal childhood as possible maybe.

You need balance to ride a bike & balance is important as lack of is possibly tied to other health issues?, if you cant ride maybe learn other balance skills like standing on one leg for example.

- George Bernie Shaw

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 3:22 pm

carlos55 wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Its your life and nobody is forcing you to ride a bike. I was fine with 2 wheels as a kid but didnt bother much after about aged 15.

You`ll find most adults are the same, although riding a bike is good excercise.

I think the obsession with parents getting their kids riding a bike is its just something most kids do & i suppose most parents want to feel their kid has as normal childhood as possible maybe.

You need balance to ride a bike & balance is important as lack of is possibly tied to other health issues?, if you cant ride maybe learn other balance skills like standing on one leg for example.

I used to be very good at standing on one leg. Ever since I fell and hit my knee, I'm not so good at balancing on one leg (let alone two) anymore.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 4:25 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I've honestly never been able to ride a two wheel bicycle properly.

Isn't hard to learn. You have to drive in towards the side that you are falling faster then you are falling in that direction. If the wheels move faster towards that side that you are falling then they'll get in your way and prevent you from falling. That's all about that.
The problem with training wheels is that they don't train the kids at all because the kids lean on them instead of steering towards that direction they have to drive to for keeping the balance. :wink:

Try it again with that knowledge that you have to steer in that direction that you are falling and you'll learn it quite fast.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 5:09 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
I've honestly never been able to ride a two wheel bicycle properly.

Isn't hard to learn. You have to drive in towards the side that you are falling faster then you are falling in that direction. If the wheels move faster towards that side that you are falling then they'll get in your way and prevent you from falling. That's all about that.
The problem with training wheels is that they don't train the kids at all because the kids lean on them instead of steering towards that direction they have to drive to for keeping the balance. :wink:

Try it again with that knowledge that you have to steer in that direction that you are falling and you'll learn it quite fast.

Thank you, but my two-wheel bicycle days are over. I have arthritis and scoliosis in addition to something that seems to be affecting my balance. I can't wear helmets due to sensory issues....another reason I stopped riding a bike in general and horse back riding lessons (that and the fact my instructor was a b***h who abused her horses and took advantage of me).

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 6:31 pm

It took till I was nearly 14 to be able to ride a bike. Even then I only cycled around my small village, and very occasionally to the nearest,small,town. I never cycled on really busy roads. The last time I rode a bike was about 40 years ago.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 6:58 pm

It's not a terrible thing, just a limiting thing (unless you really want to ride one and can't).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 7:13 pm

I can ride a bicycle, but to be honest. I live on a small island that is 7 miles by 9 miles,
which you may think would make it ideal for riding a bike.

However, over the years the population has grown to 120,000, and most adults own at least one car.
Apart from perhaps those who are permanently unemployed like people with Autism.

So over the past 20 years or so, the roads, which are generally small single lane roads are now over crowded,
with many car owners not being particular careful when driving near bicycle riders who they share the roads with.

I know that if i road a bicycle on the road, i would end up having meltdowns due to the carelessness of the car drivers,
which would lead me to either getting arrested or get me knocked over.

So i have decided to not bother riding a bike any more, as i would just be asking for trouble.
Prefer to ride the bus. If i had more money, perhaps i would buy a retro mod moped, a motorbike or even a car.
As with these, at least you have power to drive fast enough not to avoid the idiots in cars.

I sympathise with you though, must be frustrating re your balance. For some, i know such things can be a challenge.
Its to do with the areas of the brain that have developed abnormally due to ASD.

Not everyone has the same deficits. I am lucky that i am not too bad when it comes to balance.

With regards to standing on one leg, perhaps you can train your self up to improve.
Perhaps standing on one leg for as long as you can each day. timing yourself.

I would do this perhaps every day until you can stand on one leg with no problem for a couple of minutes.
This may sound impossible, however, i grew up doing karate, and all the kicks do look impossible when you first start.

But with repetition, what is impossible, becomes hard, what is hard becomes easy, and what is easy, you soon will be able to do with your eyes closed. So challenge yourself. Do what you can. Any improvement no matter how small is a victory.

Remember, these skills can take months if not years to develop properly.
So bit by bit, just persevere, and the months will go quicker than you think.
And eventually you wont believe what you have achieved and will look back and laugh
at how impossible you once thought what your future you will see as easy..

Good luck!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 7:30 pm

Didn't understand how this was a milestone.
Then, it might be like learning how to drive.

But what's the point of able to drive or ride a bike, if cars and bikes couldn't be owned let alone ever use one? :lol:
Or couldn't be used for convinience whether or not having it and able to?

I had nothing against riding a bike.
Would've want one myself, and it's probably the most available option I'd ever get as a transport.

In fact, I'm good at riding one.
Much more than that, with enough practice... I just cannot have one yet.
And before the lockdown, I used to walk for good 45 minutes to work. :oops:

Thinking of those minutes and hours worth of time saved, broken sets of footwear, times my legs and feet should've gave up, being sweaty and tired arriving at work...
Just because I chose not to take any way around it. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 11:31 pm

I am a very keen cyclist, but I have no idea which of my acquaintances can't ride. As far as I know, adults are not usually rated good or bad on that consideration.
I'm confused, though. One reason cycling is a good sport for me is that the pedals guide my feet, requiring little coordination. Are you able to walk without looking at your feet? During travel, it is necessary to look ahead to avoid obstacles. You might practice on a stationary bike if that is your main difficulty.

GameCube
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2020, 11:31 pm

I honestly don't see not being able to ride a bike as a bad thing. I was bit on the older side of childhood when I learned to ride without training wheels, even then I wasn't especially good at it. I know plenty of people who can't ride a bike and most are neurotypical.

If you don't want to learn or don't feel comfortable on a bike I don't think you should be pushed to take it up. Riding a bike is your choice and it shouldn't matter what others think.

I think there are people who just see certain milestones or activities as really important indicators of "normalcy". Anyone who doesn't have the same abilities or interests can make someone feel uncomfortable and they automatically feel the need to help them learn / correct the activity or ask very judgmental questions to see if they are "just being lazy".

For me not being able to drive is seen as terrible by many people I know. I have found ways to work around this, but it's hard to get some people to really accept it is something I really can't do. I have learned it is best to just ignore people's judgements when it comes to this kind of thing and just keep doing what I think is best for myself.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2020, 11:42 pm

BTW, if you have training wheels, they are there to catch you if you start to fall, not to use continuously. If one is on the ground, you must steer to pick it up and balance again.
Once you have learned to steer to balance, it becomes automatic to lean before turning so much that experienced bike riders switching to a tricycle often ride it straight into a pole, waiting for it to lean.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 8:29 am

I could not ride a bike, and I lived in a big city in China. It was a huge deal back then. Everyone got around with bicycles. I just walked to everywhere (or jogged). Sure riding a bike was almost a necessity, but I knew myself and would rather not die. My friends never bothered me about not riding a bike. They were all skilled enough to carry me on their back seat, but I usually just ran along. I was lean and fit back then. Gosh I still miss my six-packs and trim little legs sometimes. :) I once watched a documentary that says homo sapiens are built for running and endurance, but then we invented the wheel. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 9:07 am

I don't ride a bike in the streets of New York City.

I really don't give two craps whether someone could ride a bike or not.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 11:20 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't ride a bike in the streets of New York City.

I really don't give two craps whether someone could ride a bike or not.

I don't ride a bike through downtown Chicago.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 12:14 pm

^That’s a very smart move :)