When special interests are your only reason for living

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 10:02 am

Special interests have always been my main autistic trait. If my parents tried to take them away from me like I hear some parents do, I probably would have attempted suicide. Ever since I learned what a veterinarian was and that the role wasn't restricted to the lady we took our pets to once a year or even just pets, I always wanted to be one myself. But since I wasn't good at math I was told I couldn't be one.

I eventually realized I had dyscalculia and could get help for it and that a pre vet major wasn't ALL math like my mother made it out to be. I got sick around 15 due to some meds I was taking that were supposed to help me sleep but actually made me do nothing but sleep, and then again at 20 when taking one for anxiety that made me dizzy all the time to the point I couldn't walk.

People were telling me I was too old to apply for veterinary school. That didn't make since but I asked the American veterinary association and they said there isn't one and that they prefer applicants that are in their 30's and 40's over the typical 20's something. So people can't hold that over me any more. But honestly, if I could never be a vet for whatever reason, I possibly would kill myself. Let me have my dreams people. Let me work to obtain them even if they aren't possible for me. Let me THINK they are possible. Don't try to kill them at 4 like my mother tried to do because it was something she couldn't do.

But become a vet is pretty much my only reason for living. I tried to explain it to my mother and she just went on about how I will go to Hell if I kill myself. I wasn't saying I wanted to kill myself, I was saying that becoming a vet is the only reason I haven't tried yet and that I don't appreciate her not supporting me. Oh, and there is no limit for how many times you can apply for vet school. I heard of a lady with lots of educational disabilities who tried five times before getting accepted. She eventually got in and now works with special needs animals. I wish I could remember her name. It was on a show called "Animal Miracles" hosted by Alan Thicke on a defunct TV channel called "Pax". Anyway if she can do it so can I. I just wish people would accept the fact I will spend my whole life trying to be a vet and wish they would stop telling me to do other things. They don't get it that THIS is what I want to do and pretty much the only reason I choose to live.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 10:10 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Special interests have always been my main autistic trait. If my parents tried to take them away from me like I hear some parents do, I probably would have attempted suicide. Ever since I learned what a veterinarian was and that the role wasn't restricted to the lady we took our pets to once a year or even just pets, I always wanted to be one myself. But since I wasn't good at math I was told I couldn't be one.

I eventually realized I had dyscalculia and could get help for it and that a pre vet major wasn't ALL math like my mother made it out to be. I got sick around 15 due to some meds I was taking that were supposed to help me sleep but actually made me do nothing but sleep, and then again at 20 when taking one for anxiety that made me dizzy all the time to the point I couldn't walk.

People were telling me I was too old to apply for veterinary school. That didn't make since but I asked the American veterinary association and they said there isn't one and that they prefer applicants that are in their 30's and 40's over the typical 20's something. So people can't hold that over me any more. But honestly, if I could never be a vet for whatever reason, I possibly would kill myself. Let me have my dreams people. Let me work to obtain them even if they aren't possible for me. Let me THINK they are possible. Don't try to kill them at 4 like my mother tried to do because it was something she couldn't do.

But become a vet is pretty much my only reason for living. I tried to explain it to my mother and she just went on about how I will go to Hell if I kill myself. I wasn't saying I wanted to kill myself, I was saying that becoming a vet is the only reason I haven't tried yet and that I don't appreciate her not supporting me. Oh, and there is no limit for how many times you can apply for vet school. I heard of a lady with lots of educational disabilities who tried five times before getting accepted. She eventually got in and now works with special needs animals. I wish I could remember her name. It was on a show called "Animal Miracles" hosted by Alan Thicke on a defunct TV channel called "Pax". Anyway if she can do it so can I. I just wish people would accept the fact I will spend my whole life trying to be a vet and wish they would stop telling me to do other things. They don't get it that THIS is what I want to do and pretty much the only reason I choose to live.

I don't not about only reason to live but special interests make life a lto more enjoyable. I think my main reason for living is self-improvement.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 10:32 am

Pieplup wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

I don't not about only reason to live but special interests make life a lto more enjoyable. I think my main reason for living is self-improvement.

I honestly don't see the point in living if it isn't to peruse special interests.

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 11:47 am

Interests help focus my mind and give me reason to be on this Planet. When I was younger, my interests were creating comic books and collecting insects for observation. I'd spend every week making comics, in fact it was this interest that called concern for mum, besides that I was 4 1/2 years late reaching verbal hood, I would sit in my room making comics without speaking till age 15. Transitioning interests can be difficult. My current interest are Animation creating, Music, Dreams, Phycology.

Last edited by nadroJ on 01 Nov 2020, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 11:53 am

I can understad that in that most of my life kinda revolves around my special interests.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 12:33 pm

I don't know what I would do with my time without the things that interest me. I'm good at daydreaming but it wouldn't be a good full-time activity.

Regarding being a vet...it would be great for you and the furry ones if you could help them. While you are trying to find a path to becoming a vet would it be possible to go down a shorter path? That is, can you get a job at a vet's practice until you can become a vet?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 12:36 pm

If losing special interests and/or the possibility of becoming a vet would truly push you to suicide, you have serious mental health issues. You should consider not saying this stuff to people because they are going to think you are literally crazy.

On the other hand, you may simply have such a narrow perspective on life that you can't imagine living without those things. But, assuming you aren't seriously mentally ill, it's possible for you to live a decent life without them even if you can't imagine it.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 1:36 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I don't know what I would do with my time without the things that interest me. I'm good at daydreaming but it wouldn't be a good full-time activity.

Regarding being a vet...it would be great for you and the furry ones if you could help them. While you are trying to find a path to becoming a vet would it be possible to go down a shorter path? That is, can you get a job at a vet's practice until you can become a vet?

I did for a while but had to stop when I had to move back in with my parents after my apartment was arsoned. They were the only ones on my bus route that would let me.

My parents place is far out in the middle of basically nowhere. I'd need a driver's license. I was taking lessons until Covid happened. And even before Covid the vets in the area were not taking volunteers.

starkid wrote:
If losing special interests and/or the possibility of becoming a vet would truly push you to suicide, you have serious mental health issues. You should consider not saying this stuff to people because they are going to think you are literally crazy.

On the other hand, you may simply have such a narrow perspective on life that you can't imagine living without those things. But, assuming you aren't seriously mentally ill, it's possible for you to live a decent life without them even if you can't imagine it.

What I say on WP stays on WP. I'm fully aware I'm probably mentally ill. But I've been to countless therapist and not one of them could change me. I didn't even want them to change me, I was usually forced to go by my parents because they couldn't fix me. When people stopped trying to fix me and let me be me I was happier. I've always been narrow minded about my plans for my life...even since I was a little tiny kid. If I couldn't be fixed at 4, IDK how I can be fixed at 33 without doing something to permanently alter my brain and render me a vegetable.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 3:46 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
But I've been to countless therapist and not one of them could change me.

Talking doesn't change a narrow perspective on life as well as experience does. If you ever actually experience losing the things you value so much, I'm 100% sure you'll find at least one reason to not commit suicide, and probably the reason will be that you simply don't actually want to do it. Living creatures don't give up on life so easily as you claim that you would.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 5:09 pm

My special interests are a part of who and what I am, but I place a relationship with a significant other at Number 1 at all times. I've been that way ever since I can remember and I'll likely stand by that till my dying day. That's just my personal view though. Without having someone to share life with, it's a whole lot less meaningful, in my view.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 5:51 pm

It sounds like geography and a pandemic are complicating things for you--a lot. And if currently-reachable places won't even take a volunteer then near-term prospects are scarce--but that's just for now. Things can change over time. We don't necessarily know what changes to expect, but we can expect that something will eventually change.

At the moment I can only think of two suggestions:

(1) Giving up pretty much assures failure, so don't do that. Be patient and persevere. And don't get consumed by the inevitable frustrations and disappointments along the way.

(2) You apparently have access to the Internet. You might be able to invest your time by independently studying within your area of interest (libraries are good for that, too). While you might not be able to use the knowledge right now, having more knowledge might open opportunities later. In your spare time you might find a tolerable way to earn some money doing things outside your area of interest, but that shouldn't prevent you from continuing to learn about the things that interest you.

Good luck! And try to keep a positive attitude, I'm hoping you'll be patient, not become one.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 6:17 pm

Double Retired wrote:
It sounds like geography and a pandemic are complicating things for you--a lot. And if currently-reachable places won't even take a volunteer then near-term prospects are scarce--but that's just for now. Things can change over time. We don't necessarily know what changes to expect, but we can expect that something will eventually change.

At the moment I can only think of two suggestions:

(1) Giving up pretty much assures failure, so don't do that. Be patient and persevere. And don't get consumed by the inevitable frustrations and disappointments along the way.

(2) You apparently have access to the Internet. You might be able to invest your time by independently studying within your area of interest (libraries are good for that, too). While you might not be able to use the knowledge right now, having more knowledge might open opportunities later. In your spare time you might find a tolerable way to earn some money doing things outside your area of interest, but that shouldn't prevent you from continuing to learn about the things that interest you.

Good luck! And try to keep a positive attitude, I'm hoping you'll be patient, not become one.

Things are also opening back up again. In the meantime I have my art and sewing. I painted a picture that took six months because I kept adding things until it "felt" finished. Sure kept me busy though. I'm also working on a plush horse (stuffed animals were always another kind of special interest to me...epically when I learned I could make them myself). Until Covid goes away, I got my art to keep myself busy. Internet classes I'm not sure of. There are no veterinary or even basic biology courses online and I have no idea how to pay for a class. NO college class is free in my country.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 6:49 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Internet classes I'm not sure of. There are no veterinary or even basic biology courses online and I have no idea how to pay for a class. NO college class is free in my country.
I guess that suggestion is contingent on how much you have already learned. There is a lot of free information scattered around on the Internet and in books, even if only in bits and pieces. It is a more tedious way to collect information and takes a lot of exploring. But if your current level of knowledge has reached the level where you are past the level of the free stuff, then that is an obstacle. That would leave lucking into a position (paid or not, full-time or not) at a vet's office, or farm, or humane shelter (depending upon you, a NO-KILL shelter might be more palatable--but even critters on death-row who are hoping to get adopted before they are euthanized would be grateful for loving care), or even a pet shop (depending upon your viewpoint on these, too!).

And, fortunately, you have found other pleasant ways to fill your time. Good luck!

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 7:08 pm

we all need a purpose in life
and special interests can indeed give many an autistic person a purpose or at least a focus

relationships can also give a person fulfilment, i can see that. although when two attempt to live as one
you really need to be well matched for that to work
when intense interest people are involved, then partners have to be co-operative
or you both will tear each other apart or one partner will inevitably have made too much of a sacrifice

i have been there, i sacrificed my intense interests in music and martial arts to be with a religious woman
who's religion forbid intense interests in anything else but their religion (Jehovah Witnesses)
So no surprise that i inevitably became more and more unhappy especially when my religiously oppressive partner
started to break all the rules that she had so dominantly enforced upon me.

gosh. i have to say, since i the day i left that way of life, my life has been a lot better and generally much more happier
freedom is what i love
not because i am inherently bad because i am not and i don't think many people are

but because i really don't believe their religion, way or life or authority
no offence to anyone who is a believer, other people have the right to choose what they believe
that is the wonderful thing about living in the free democratic world

we are all free to choose what we believe in as long as we are not hurting anyone
the world would be a lot worse if a totalitarian state was set up
as perhaps some far right want

so enjoy your special interests
such things bring me more happiness than most people

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 7:12 pm

My mother always had a reason why something I wanted to do couldn’t be done. Because I was young, I believed her. In retrospect I now see how damaging that was and the things I missed trying for.

Good for you for sticking up for yourself.

I just googled “free classes about caring for animals” and got many results, some from universities. Coursera has a class on animal welfare. Coursera classes are free as long as you don’t want credit.

So there are options if that is the way you want to go.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 7:12 pm

Double Retired wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
Internet classes I'm not sure of. There are no veterinary or even basic biology courses online and I have no idea how to pay for a class. NO college class is free in my country.
I guess that suggestion is contingent on how much you have already learned. There is a lot of free information scattered around on the Internet and in books, even if only in bits and pieces. It is a more tedious way to collect information and takes a lot of exploring. But if your current level of knowledge has reached the level where you are past the level of the free stuff, then that is an obstacle. That would leave lucking into a position (paid or not, full-time or not) at a vet's office, or farm, or humane shelter (depending upon you, a NO-KILL shelter might be more palatable--but even critters on death-row who are hoping to get adopted before they are euthanized would be grateful for loving care), or even a pet shop (depending upon your viewpoint on these, too!).

And, fortunately, you have found other pleasant ways to fill your time. Good luck!

I research veterinary articles for kicks. I used to RP and my character was a vet and I would look up actual treatments and diseases as I RPed. Apparently hedgehogs do not need vaccines but if they do need an injection of say antibiotic or pain relief, they get it in their chest or their bum. Hedgehogs can go into hibernation if they get too cold, but an African pygmy hedgehog (the kind usually kept as pets) cannot survive hibernation. I learned all that via Sonic the Hedgehog RP's and by standard reading. I bought a veterinary manual with some Christmas money I had and used to take it with me to read when I had to wait in lines. Unfortunately it mostly covered typical domestic pets such as cats, dogs and cattle. I'd like to be a zoo or exotics vet. Maybe I'll scour eBay for some used vet school textbooks. After Covid, I am thinking about maybe getting a job at Petsmart or PetCo. When I had my bearded dragon people thought I worked there already. Sometimes the employees would tell perspective lizard buyers to ask me the questions instead of them.