Executive functioning and dressing for late fall/winter

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2020, 11:25 am

So you have to:
1. Check the weather.
2. Decide what to wear based on the temperature, small differences, without being outside for long yet.
3. Be able to find the right clothes in the house.
4. If it’s cold enough, a coat and regular clothes won’t do it—you need a coat, layers, the right pants (warmer pants), boots, the right socks, etc. and you might not have everything with you or your laundry done if your EF skills are off.
5. So you just don’t go outside in the late fall or winter, but you need to go outside to help your mood.
6. You feel crummy being inside all day.

Anyone else have this problem?
How do you cope?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 12:37 pm

Sometimes I just wear whatever seems right at the time and bring extra clothes in a backpack.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 12:55 pm

- Yes
- Yes
- Yes
- Yes

It takes me forever to get dressed. I stand in front of the closet for ages. Usually I do this several times before I pick items. In winter I have to match up more items and factor in the temp and wind. But I also have to dress according to my comfort level that day.

Now working from home I don't have to go outdoors everyday, but I still take a while to get dressed. Then when I have to go out later for groceries or a walk I have to go through the process again because it's not comfortable to sit around in the same types of clothes that I would be warmer/more comfortable wearing outside.

The worst is dressing after a shower. I'm overheated and my sensory sensitivities are elevated so a lot of items are unappealing. If I dress like it's warm I'll have to change again soon after when I become cold.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 1:10 pm

I just grab a sweater unless it's really cold. If I'm leaving for work I don't need more than a sweater because I leave a warm coat in my car.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 1:22 pm

^ guessing you don't get -20 f / -29 c temps where you live :lol:

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 1:48 pm

Short answer:

Wool. It is:
- Temperature-regulating, and doesn't lose warmth when wet
- Easy to wash at low temperatures, and you can (should) often skip soap etc.
- Doesn't hold odour (so much), so you need to wash it less often - also good for the environment

Long answer:
Use the 3-layer principle

It is essential if you want to avoid over/underdressing during the cold...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 1:51 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:

They're not unheard of. I live in Canada. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 2:09 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Ah so you do know the cold :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 2:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Ah so you do know the cold :mrgreen:

Yeah, I grew up dealing with it.
Beyond that, when I'm outside in the winter it's usually to shovel snow. I'll do that in a sweater, gloves and a hat when it's -20. I'll do that with a t-shirt instead of the sweater when it's -10.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 2:31 pm

I just wore whatever I was comfortable in. I wore shorts in winter for years because my possible Elher Danos Syndrome in my knees where I can't have anything touch them. Sometimes in below zero weather. Heat bothers me more than cold anyway. I also had to go out in bitter cold in a tatty old hoodie because I couldn't afford a proper winter coat.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 2:42 pm

I think I have heard almost every NT woman talk about this.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 3:11 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Short answer:

Wool. It is:
- Temperature-regulating, and doesn't lose warmth when wet
- Easy to wash at low temperatures, and you can (should) often skip soap etc.
- Doesn't hold odour (so much), so you need to wash it less often - also good for the environment

Long answer:
Use the 3-layer principle

It is essential if you want to avoid over/underdressing during the cold...

I find most wool items to bothersome to my skin, unfortunately. I do have a nice Icebreaker merino wool jacket, but it took some getting used to. I tried leggings in the same brand and had to instantly take them off.

funeralxempire wrote:
Yeah, I grew up dealing with it.
Beyond that, when I'm outside in the winter it's usually to shovel snow. I'll do that in a sweater, gloves and a hat when it's -20. I'll do that with a t-shirt instead of the sweater when it's -10.

Luckily our building does most of the snow shoveling. When I'm outside it's usually to walk to places, like my office has parking but it's a bit of a trek, or when on campus. Or those times I had to do field work in the snow.

I forget that most people have bodies that can regulate temperature automatically. I have to do it manually :lol:. My stupid fingers and toes change crazy colors and then I have to check for black spots when it's not even that cold outside. :skull:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm

I am a winter person. The best thing you can do is to have layers that are always clean and ready to wear so that you can mix and match what you need at a moment's notice. You can have several different ones like a couple of fleece tops, a couple of base layers, a couple of outer jackets and a few good pairs of socks. then you know you always have clean ones. and when you layer it works better because it the temperature changes you can easily switch it up.

Wreck It Ralph

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 11:56 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
So you have to:
1. Check the weather.
2. Decide what to wear based on the temperature, small differences, without being outside for long yet.
3. Be able to find the right clothes in the house.
4. If it’s cold enough, a coat and regular clothes won’t do it—you need a coat, layers, the right pants (warmer pants), boots, the right socks, etc. and you might not have everything with you or your laundry done if your EF skills are off.
5. So you just don’t go outside in the late fall or winter, but you need to go outside to help your mood.
6. You feel crummy being inside all day.

Anyone else have this problem?
How do you cope?

I just put some clothes on ad go outside.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

02 Nov 2020, 12:12 pm

Am long past the years when I labored over what to wear. Now days I put on what ever I feel like wearing then add whatever is needed for the weather.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2020, 12:36 pm

Never had a winter my whole life.

It's likely the norm here; I just skip the entire thought of dressing specifically for the weather. :o And I like to walk out.

So...
There are times :twisted: I went out in the rain or high noon suns, without an umbrella -- be it in a random walks or going to work.
Times that are ought for me to bring an extra pair of clothes to change with.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.