Did anybody get their driver's license late in life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 4:51 pm

I am 29 years old and I am scheduled to take my driving test on Dec. 31. I never really liked driving that much. I quit Driver's Ed impulsively when I was a teenager after one bad experience. I practice driving every now and then, but if I have a test later next month, I really should be out practicing more often. I feel like I'm okay at parallel parking, surprisingly, so there's that. :roll:

I just don't want to be 30 years old and still not have my driver's license. I feel like a burden on people, and I'm tired of having to spend money on Uber and Lyft every time I want to go somewhere. :lol:

Starlight2001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2020, 5:16 pm

I only became comfortable driving at 27. I technically had a license at 21 because I went to renew my permit and they gave me a restricted license instead. I finally took the test when I was 27 and got the restriction taken off. I think this situation is more common for autistics.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 5:28 pm

Starlight2001 wrote:
I only became comfortable driving at 27. I technically had a license at 21 because I went to renew my permit and they gave me a restricted license instead. I finally took the test when I was 27 and got the restriction taken off. I think this situation is more common for autistics.

I guess technically I have a license, too, but it's a permit and I can't drive without someone over the age of 21 who has their license in the vehicle with me.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 6:59 pm

Sort of? I got mine when I was in college, but I didn't have access to an actual car until I was 23. I'm not sure if that counts.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 7:03 pm

Got mine at 20, but I had seizures and had to have surgery before I could drive legally, so maybe I would’ve gotten it at 16 had those not been a factor. But I’m still a terrible driver and don’t know if I’ll ever improve.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 8:57 pm

I'm 24, have a permit, and was planning to get a license this year but I'm afraid to take the test because of covid.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 10:21 pm

Udinaas wrote:
I'm 24, have a permit, and was planning to get a license this year but I'm afraid to take the test because of covid.

COVID be damned, I'm taking the test as soon as I can. I don't want to be 30 and still not have a driver's license. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2020, 11:06 pm

Me: no license until age 38. No car of my own until age 51.

Good luck on your test!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 4:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Me: no license until age 38. No car of my own until age 51.

Good luck on your test!

Thanks! You live in NYC, though, so it's not surprising that you didn't get your license until late in life. :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 5:35 am

Many people still get their license young, even in NYC. My brother got his at 18.

If you’re in outer Queens, a car is as needed almost as much as it is in suburban and rural areas.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 7:16 am

I can't get a license due to a disability. That's why I had to move out of my childhood home as soon as I graduated because had I gotten a job, I wouldn't have been able to go to work 'cause the area had no public transport. And it still doesn't, so someone has to drive me there when I want to visit my parents.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 1:28 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
I can't get a license due to a disability. That's why I had to move out of my childhood home as soon as I graduated because had I gotten a job, I wouldn't have been able to go to work 'cause the area had no public transport. And it still doesn't, so someone has to drive me there when I want to visit my parents.

Yeah, I can see why that would be an issue. My area has no public transportation, except for Uber, Lyft, and a citywide rideshare that's cheap but unreliable. :lol:

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2020, 2:16 pm

I'll probably have to get a license and a job soon because of my family's financial situation. The problem is that I live in an area that has a really bad outbreak because there are so many conservatives who aren't wearing masks or social distancing and they keep having superspreader events at megachurches. I'm more worried about the virus killing one of my parents than I am about it killing me.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 2:41 pm

I can't drive because I have epilepsy, but I do have a government-issued ID card.

I just use public transportation whenever I want to go somewhere.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2020, 6:14 pm

I passed my test at 23, when most people here take it at 18.

I was very cautious, and took more lessons than I needed really.

I absolutely love driving now :-)