What of the AS symptoms DON'T you have?

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2007, 2:42 am

morningdove wrote:
I lack that ability many Aspies have of not being aware that they may be doing something wrong... I have social anxiety so Im always paranoid of how others percieve me, Im quite aware of my "aspieness" & that I might be do something embarrassing or socially off offputting to others... :?

Me too-I have great anxiety about other people's judgements of me. That's something that I didn't always have, though. Think it got instilled in me from repeated bad experiences, I learned to care about what others think of me (for better and worse)-still am not very good at manipulating how others perceive me (or manipulating myself in order to seem more appealing). Anxiety may be part of my inherent biological temperament, but attaching it to social situations was an "add-on", not instinctual/intuitive.
shopaholic wrote:
I don't have a problem with metaphors - in fact I love to think up new ones.

I enjoy them & can use them well (in adulthood)-as a kid I was often confused (just like any kid, NT or AS) by the phrases & comparisons. I have my own idiosyncratic meaning systems, which may or may not overlap/intersect with the meaning systems of other people. Don't we all ?

ixochiyo_yohuallan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 6:16 am

* I don't have the more obvious (and well-known) stims like hand-flapping or rocking. I tend to stim in a more subtle way by making small movements that may not be easily noticeable, like rubbing my thighs, rubbing/curling toes, twisting/rubbing fingers etc. I also pace a lot and sometimes get lost in picking scabs off my feet or fingers - I don't know what's there about it that makes me want to concentrate on it so much, but there it is. And, if examining things that seem visually attractive to me is to be considered stimming, then I stim the entire time.

* I don't think I have much difficulty reading facial expressions and body language. I've always been very sensitive to subtle changes in others' expression, though I didn't always understand it the right way (for example, I could easily assume my mother is cross with me, when she could just be tired or angry with somebody else).

I did have difficulties using body language. For the longest time, I didn't know where to place my hands; as a child, I could ramble on very excitedly about something, while my hands hung by my sides as if I had no use for them. Later, as a teen, I started to practive gesturing more and seemed to acquire a better sense of when to make which movements. My gestures and facial expression are very vivid most of the time now (if anything, I think my gesturing looks too large and expansive), and has started to come automatically. But it depends - there are times, usually when I'm tired or don't feel up to par for some other reason, when I suddenly don't know what to do with my hands again. Then I either let them freeze in some position (often close to my chest), or make gestures that are awkward and restricted, because I keep forgetting all about having to move my hands; or I just let them dangle.

* I only have selective difficulties with eye contact. I'm fine looking at people whom I know and/or who feel good to be around. I'll only avoid looking at a person when there appears to be something wrong about them - when I dislike them, or they make me feel embarrassed/nervous/uncomfortable etc. I also look away when I want to reflect and concentrate on what I'm saying, as people's eyes are distracting and stop me from organizing my thoughts.

* I'm not literal-minded, not when it comes to literature at least. On the contrary, I find it easier to understand emotions through metaphor or symbols than when they are described directly. However, when it came to humor/irony, I suppose I did tend to take things literally as a child - I remember being hypersensitive and starting to bawl at every word that I thought was said wrong, even when it was an obvious joke (but then my mother doesn't always joke in a nice way).

I've worked hard on my sense of humor, and I can understand most jokes very well now. But, while I normally start laughing at once when I hear someone else's joke, I can never come up with jokes spontaneously myself. I still don't react quickly enough and need several moments before I can think of something funny. Occasionally, there are still moments when I misunderstand a joke and take what was said seriously, or reply to a rhetorical or jocular question.

* Coordination difficulties. I have less of these than I used to earlier. As a child, I couldn't throw or catch a ball properly, walk on a straight line, balance on one foot or do any of the things typically listed when it comes to testing motor skills. Now I can do all of them, but I still have trouble catching smaller objects or manipulating something fine with my fingers - they often feel stiff and don't seem to obey me. I occasionally come across as clumsy, especially when I'm not careful - I drop things, bump into furniture, lamp-posts or other people, knock down cups and other objects from the table, but I suppose it's not as bad as it could've been.

* I'm not blunt. Most of the time I'm the very opposite, too apologetic and politically correct, but I don't think I have a good sense of what to say in order not to hurt others. In fact, I think this is where the excessive politeness came from. I'm afraid that I may say something offensive without wanting to, but I have no idea what that "something" might be; and, while I'm almost paranoid about how others perceive me, at least at times, I have difficulty gauging their reactions to me. So I keep falling over myself trying not to say anything at all that may be even remotely unpleasant. I probably come across as more awkward than I imagine as a result.

* Voice prosody. I suppose it's a lot better now than it used to be. When I was little, my voice seems to have been loud, shrill and quite flat. When I reached my teens, I started practising to make it more modulated, and it seems to have worked. My voice sounds allright now, at least, it seems so to me. (I'm not so satisfied with it when I hear a recording of myself - it still sounds high-pitched, fairly flat and childlike, in an odd sort of way, but then I don't do that too often. Maybe I should work with it some more by making some recordings, listening to them and then trying to make myself sound better).

When I'm too stressed out or tired, I still stutter or talk in a broken monotone, with pauses and stresses in all the wrong places, but when I feel fine, my talking is mostly allright.

RasdenFasden
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2007, 6:38 am

My voice isn't monotonous.
I don't have that much trouble with facial expressions.
I don't always take things literally
I don't stare.
I'm rather empathetic.

thesandman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2007, 3:28 pm

I prefer going out to staying in.
I like making new friends and find it easier than I used to.
I can talk to women easier than I used to (although I don't make romantic advances)

blackomen
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2009, 1:20 pm

Repetitive movements: I don't exhibit rocking or other types of reptitive movements..

Routines: It seems like most AS people have a hard time letting go of routines.. I simply can't stand having the same routine for a long time.. I crave variety in my daily life.

Socializing: I enjoy meeting new people, at least superficially, on a regular basis but I don't enjoy settling down into cliques, social circles, etc. I always have a need to change my friends every few months..

Llama874
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Dec 2009, 1:42 pm

1. I have no problem with face blindness. If I see someone I know, I will recognize them.
2. My social skills are better than most aspies. I'm not regarded as anything "weird" in my grade by peers, and many of them talk to me on a regular basis. I also I have 2 great friends outside school.
3. I'm pretty good at making eye contact, although it is forced and not something I do naturally.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 7:00 pm

I'm good at the major facial expressions, but do poorly at stuff like 'Mind in the Eyes"

I'm good with metaphors.

I have a "warm" personality according to the professionals, good with one on one conversations (more than one person talking, I go off into the corner)

I have natural eye contact

I'm empathetic

Oh, and the stuff I do have is obsessions, social skills problems (very bad when little), and I stim like CRAZY, the typical autistic ones. Oh and I almost forgot the horrific meltdowns.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 8:14 pm

I don't have face-blindness issues (Indeed, I am unusually good at remembering faces).

My voice is less monotonous than many Aspies, but that may because my accent has a sing-song pitch accent because of the influence of Scandinavian immigrants.

Many have described me as a very warm, soft-hearted, kind, and sympathetic person. I was teased as the "shy, sensitive boy" when I was a kid and hearing of bad things happening to people can drive me to tears. When my close friend with cerebral palsy was raped this spring I was an emotional wreck for a week.

LuxoJr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2009, 8:25 pm

I am sort-of good at reading faces but not really.
Um, not face-blindness but name... blindness.
I'm not all that monotone when I speak.
I'm not too socially dyslexic, enough to not be too awkward to ppl.

...that's it. but lucky b*tches who don't stim. the stereotypies really hurt sometimes.

dustintorch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 8:37 pm

1. inability to read facial expressions

2. poor coordination/ motor skills

3. inability to be touched. Although it is very uncomfortable most of the time, I can put up with it. Sometimes I even enjoy it...sometimes.

4.I can be social to a certain extent. I'm considered very weird though, even by little kids. (a few told me so today)

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 9:52 pm

The math genius sterotype
The obsession with trains
The obsession with science fiction
The monotone voice (Do you know how hard my parents worked with me on that?)

Aside from those, I'm pretty much a poster child.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 10:19 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
I don't have a problem meeting people's eyes.
Matter of fact, I am rather relentless in looking them in the eyes.
I forget to blink, I don't look up, or over, or around, I look them in the eyes.

I thought that was just the other side of the eye contact coin? That eye contact problems are usually present, but can be intense staring or too much eye contact as well.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2009, 11:37 pm

I have all of the main ones listed in the DSM. I don't have some other characteristics associated with AS since I've worked really hard on them throughout my life:

- The monotone voice (worked really hard on that one in order to do well on presentations at school)

- As a child, inability to do things on my own. I've had a fixation on doing everything by myself. I was, thus, very independent.

- Sloppy handwriting (also took lots of patience and effort to develop neat handwriting)

- Absence of imaginative play (I did some, but it was very limited)

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Last edited by MathGirl on 21 Dec 2009, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 12:22 am

- Unable to read facial expressions (I can't tell if they're subtle though)
- Poor motor skills (I'm very clumsy but I'm excellent at threading needles)

millie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 1:21 am

1. I recognise faces and people. In fact my visual memory in this regard is weirdly excellent. I can see the shape of a person's body down the road and I know who it is instantly.

2. I have good motor skills and good handwriting.

3. I have some facial expression recognition IF I can process these without vocalisations or verbal utterances. (once the vocal comes in, I lose the ability to process the verbal and the facial expressions in tandem.)

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2009, 2:08 am

What I don't have, or don't have strongly:

I don't experience any sensory overloads.

I'm unsure whether or not I experience emotional meltdowns. If I do, they're mild, and don't go much beyond crying or shouting.

Although I have my set routine, I am able to adjust it when I need to, without too much stress involved.

I am a moderate introvert, and unwind when I'm alone, more than when socializing. However, social situations don't overwhelm me and I do tend to enjoy them, and I feel like I'm able to act like myself when socializing with others.

I don't talk about my obsessions very much, and they aren't intense to the point of restricting my interests. They mainly exist in the form of perserverance of thoughts. (With the exception of listening to music hours on end if I'm VERY stressed out.)

Over time, my conversational skills and eye contact have improved a lot. I used to stare, but I had so many insults thrown at me that I felt forced into normal eye contact.

Oddly, even though I tend to take things too literally at times, I also tend to understand analogies or metaphors really well.

Although I don't act rudely, I do seem to appear silly sometimes. Sometimes people laugh or tell me I'm funny when I'm not trying to be funny.

What I do have:

As a baby I had a learning delay

Throughout high school and college, I was listed as having slow auditory processing, poor reading comprehension, disorder of written expression, and poor listening comprehension.

It is hard for me to notice or understand body language and facial expressions. Also, I have a rough time with facial recognition.

My spatial perception is fairly poor.

It's hard for me to multitask

I am a tad bit of a klutz.

According to others, I speak slightly monotonous, and at a slightly slower speed.

I think I stim a lot.

Last edited by rainbowbutterfly on 21 Dec 2009, 5:09 am, edited 7 times in total.