What of the AS symptoms DON'T you have?

Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 4:54 am

I have (not in typical Aspie stereotype):

- good coordination (but I always bump on things)
- I can understand people (but my theory of mind is not intuitive, is brain-worked)
- Sense of humor (just not usual)
- Strong caring for others (but without emotional involvment)
- Scatter brain (I like many different areas of knowledge, I change "obsession" every few mounths so, by now I know many many different subjects)
- I have good memory for ideas/topics but not for dates/numbers/names.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 6:11 am

- I don't lack empathy
- I don't stim
- I'm not vulnerable to gluten and dairy
- I don't have a monotonious voice
- I'm not good at math
- I take good care of my appearance

Whisper
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2009, 9:46 am

I don't think I lack empathy. I used to when I was younger.

I can understand jokes and metaphors.

I can read facial expressions.

There are a few that I've actively worked on, such as eye contact, how to hold myself during a conversation, controlling my weird behaviors, not talking about my obsessions as much as I want to, etc.

adamsfrood42
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Dec 2009, 4:29 pm

No marked inability to read facial expressions, insofar as I've noted--though I do perform more poorly than expected on those online "What is This Face Feeling" tests.

I have a great short-term memory, and a really poor long-term memory. My AS brothers and boyfriend can read lists and know them rote after one pass, and remember quotes and details from when they were two and three years of age. I can read something, and then forget what I've read almost immediately, even with things that are of interest to me.

No special interests--or, at the very least, no obsessive special interests. This ties into the "poor memory" bit above.

No hyperacusis--my hearing is actually rather poor.

I don't tend to notice details that others wouldn't notice. My boyfriend notices things all the time, but I feel as though (for the most part) I miss things constantly and am wholly unobservant--I think I lack any kind of natural curiosity.

I had friends in elementary school, as well as friends in high school. Although my friends today are almost exclusively men, I do have them.

Terrible at math, terrible with physics, terrible with computers.

I am not particularly prone to sensory overstimulation. I like all kinds of touch. I listen to music loudly. I love colored lights.

I have never been told that I was being unintentionally rude or abrasive. I have great social control, and am very polite.

I work in customer service in a retail setting, and have held my job for nearly four years, with several employer commendations.

I have no difficulty with executive function.

I don't ramble. Quite the opposite--I have absolutely no desire to share the things I'm interested in with other people. The thought of doing so kind of makes me sick.

I have good coordination. I'm fluent in American Sign Language, I knit/crochet/bead, and I was a gymnast in high school.

I don't think I have any restrictive routines or compulsions.

I get good grades in school, because I am well organized and can pull myself together enough to focus on subjects I'm not actually invested in, even things like math.

All of these reasons, and more, are the reasons why I question my Asperger's diagnosis--and, I'm sure, why my mother has accused me on multiple occasions of biasing my answers during my assessment.

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2009, 5:38 pm

I can interpret other people's facial expressions pretty well.

I think my speech is okay now, but it literally took years of my life to sort out.

That's it.

Another great topic again Greentea. It does look like a lot of people get over the speech and the eye contact over time.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Dec 2009, 6:13 pm

In order to make this clearer, I'm italicizing the text referring to ways in which I don't fit the aspie profile.
I have a very hard time reading body language and understanding what gestures are meant to communicate when said gestures are not accompanied by spoken language. However, I do have some ability to read emotions in people's faces, particularly when dealing with people I'm very familiar with.

I'm not particularly blunt, at least not at this stage of my life. I have learned how to be courteous, polite and kind to others, though I occasionally fail at that when I'm tired or preoccupied.
I do struggle with initiating and concluding interactions, and I fail at asserting myself, and getting what I want from people.

I'm not that literal, and I rarely fail to understand humor, sarcasm, or figures of speech. I actually have an excellent sense of humor.

[i]I have a very active imagination, and I enjoy reading fiction. I enjoy creative writing as well.

[i]
I'm really not mathematically, scientifically, or technically oriented.[/i[/i]]

I do have the difficulty knowing how to behave in social situations, difficulty with voice modulation, difficulty with executive function, failure to appropriately attend to my appearance, motor skill impairment, intense special interests, tendency to perseverate, stims, sensory issues, tendency toward sensory/ information overload, difficulty with eye contact, monotonous voice when tired or stressed, and meltdowns (not violent ones, hysterical weepy ones). I also do have certain obsessive rituals and routines, and I have a hard time when something interferes with said rituals and/ or routines.

Last edited by OuterBoroughGirl on 21 Dec 2009, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 7:22 pm

OuterBoroughGirl wrote:
In order to make this clearer, I'm italicizing the text referring to ways in which I don't fit the aspie profile.
I have a very hard time reading body language and understanding what gestures are meant to communicate when said gestures are not accompanied by spoken language. However, I do have some ability to read emotions in people's faces, particularly when dealing with people I'm very familiar with.

I'm not particularly blunt, at least not at this stage of my life. I have learned how to be courteous, polite and kind to others, though I occasionally fail at that when I'm tired or preoccupied.
I do struggle with initiating and concluding interactions, and I fail at asserting myself, and getting what I want from people.

I'm not that literal, and I rarely fail to understand humor, sarcasm, or figures of speech. I actually have an excellent sense of humor.

[i]I have a very active imagination, and I enjoy reading fiction. I enjoy creative writing as well.

I'm really not mathematically, scientifically, or technically oriented.[/i]

I do have the difficulty knowing how to behave in social situations, difficulty with voice modulation, difficulty with executive function, failure to appropriately attend to my appearance, motor skill impairment, intense special interests, tendency to perseverate, stims, sensory issues, tendency toward sensory/ information overload, difficulty with eye contact, monotonous voice when tired or stressed, and meltdowns (not violent ones, hysterical weepy ones).

That, in both the "haves" and "have-nots" is very similar to how I am. Except that my motor skill impairment is mild (and I actually have extremely good hand-eye coordination); and that my meltdowns are VERY rare and, when they do occur, they are very mild. Also I don't usually have eye-contact difficulty with familiar people.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 7:46 pm

WebMD wrote:
1. Not pick up on social cues and may lack inborn social skills, such as being able to read others' body language, start or maintain a conversation, and take turns talking.
2. Dislike any changes in routines.
3. Appear to lack empathy.
4. Be unable to recognize subtle differences in speech tone, pitch, and accent that alter the meaning of others’ speech. Thus, your child may not understand a joke or may take a sarcastic comment literally. Likewise, his or her speech may be flat and difficult to understand because it lacks tone, pitch, and accent.
5. Have a formal style of speaking that is advanced for his or her age. For example, the child may use the word "beckon" instead of "call" or the word "return" instead of "come back."
6. Avoid eye contact or stare at others.
7. Have unusual facial expressions or postures.
8. Be preoccupied with only one or few interests, which he or she may be very knowledgeable about. Many children with Asperger's syndrome are overly interested in parts of a whole or in unusual activities, such as designing houses, drawing highly detailed scenes, or studying astronomy. They may show an unusual interest in certain topics such as snakes, names of stars, or dinosaurs.
9. Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.
10. Have delayed motor development. Your child may be late in learning to use a fork or spoon, ride a bike, or catch a ball. He or she may have an awkward walk. Handwriting is often poor.
11. Have heightened sensitivity and become overstimulated by loud noises, lights, or strong tastes or textures. For more information about these symptoms, see sensory integration dysfunction.

1. Check.
2. Check.
3. Check.
4. Yes and No. I don't have trouble understanding sarcasm or anything, but people often have trouble when I speak, because of the "tone, pitch, and accent".
5. A definite check.
6. Check.
7. Check.
8. A definite check.
9. Check.
10. A definite check.
11. Check.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 7:51 pm

Only one from the list is this:
9. Talk a lot, usually about a favorite subject. One-sided conversations are common. Internal thoughts are often verbalized.

I don't or can't talk much.

blackmetal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Dec 2009, 3:37 pm

can someone tell me what stimming is please???

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 6:04 pm

blackmetal wrote:
can someone tell me what stimming is please???

Rocking, hand flapping, hand wringing, moving fingers, head banging, pacing, putting hand over eyes and withdrawing over and over, repeating words or sounds,or any repetitive movement of that sort.