Page 4 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 1:15 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
I would prefer cottages on a large wildlife type parkland where they are spaced out so there is at least a few football pitches from each other where I can let nature grow and yet I have access to small shops. I could if I had some help with the tax things and things I don't like, run a small shop, but I need to come home in a "Me" place after as I would be masking to do that job, and yet at home I can unmask.

But a type of scenic wilderness area so I can do what I like without criticizm, but not so isolated that I can't nip out to buy things when I need to etc.
I think Mountain Goat's version of the concept is closest to what I would want.

I might reform it to a walkable small town with a central business district (probably just the main street) with residences surrounding it. Multi-occupant buildings (apartments, co-ops, and such) would likely be close to the main street. Individual homes with enough land for a garage and a shed/workshop/greenhouse would be on side streets, and further out would be small farms. And there should be some parks. That is, just a typical small town.

Such towns already exist...except they are full of NTs. If a number of auties happened to pick the same town to move to then it might be possible to get local services tailored for their needs. (Some areas do that for the elderly, for instance.) The town would still be primarily NTs, but if enough auties lived there the town might be more likely to accommodate them.

Maybe such a small town with a disproportionate number of auties could be consistent with the original co-op concept and with Mountain Goat's concept. Some auties could go for the apartments or co-ops. I would want a house near the fringe of the town. And some would want to be in the general area of the town but out in the nearby countryside.But, I probably shouldn't name Mountain Goat by name.

Decades ago I went to college and lived in the dorms.          I h a t e d it!

I already live in a type of area most suited to me in theory. The only thing is, in some ways I need to be a little more remote as my youngest brother loves to be around people so he is always bring people back in the evenings, and if it was not for this lockdown, we would have a constant stream of visitors to see my Mum, and even my Mum needs bits of "Me" time, so we just don't seem to get rest to recover.
My parents moved up here to be out of the way for a quiet life. Uhmmm!)

The lockdown has made things quieter but also brought a LOT of stress with the restrictions. I can not go into most larger shops due to the fear of being trapped under their one way system and I risk getting shutdowns if I have to wait in a queue. I can't manage queues like I used to when I was younger. I don't know why. They panic me.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 1:53 am

Double Retired wrote:

Decades ago I went to college and lived in the dorms.          I h a t e d it!

I can relate to the sentiment. But the main reason for this was because I felt like, my dear god, I am the only one here like myself. I don't relate to these people. I don't enjoy their past times. I don't share their enthusiasm for alcohol. There was one other person who was most likely on the spectrum but did not identify himself as such and we were great friends but I had to also manage how the other people in our friendship circle picked on him. If I were to re-imagine the experience but in a building that was entirely people on the spectrum, it might have at a minimum been quieter and odds would have been good to have made more understanding friends.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 1:57 am

Edna3362 wrote:
adromedanblackhole wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
adromedanblackhole wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Would. But not for social reasons. :P
I just could simply care less who would be my neighbors are.

But then I live in a different world, and dealing with a different sets of circumstances.

From where I came from, there are already few attempts of making a village or a whole physically manifested community that mainly caters autistics.

So far, it is all done by groups of families, caretakers and professionals -- capable of pooling their resources, planning, buying, building and filling the whole thing.

The range are either very inclusive to all cases and their families...
Or is mainly adequate for making 'level 2 supports' free roaming and independent as possible, yet level 1 support can take care of themselves and level 3 support cannot be well accommodated.

Likely all costly. :lol: Or takes years to pay for.

And the basis isn't simply just about autism or the respective autistic, but something closer to family-centric dynamics with a specific commonality in mind...

And I've yet to ever seen one that is done by autistic individuals themselves.

This is a prevalent commonality with people on the spectrum: we are generally numbed when it comes to dealing with people. However when it comes to dealing with other people on the spectrum we're usually shocked by the first few interactions that someone can relate to us. These commonalities are what increase the potential for a real human connection.

I wouldn't conceive of a community that tries too hard to force social interactions, but a typical co-op where people are living individually. It would make sense there would be a shared office space for those who work remote. Odds would be high people would forge friendships and feel less alone in the world.

There were numerous ideas similar that pops up from time to time.

And in context, there's just something missing between our exchanges -- as I said, I live in a different world.

I have different ideas of what spaces are, and what socialization and groups looked like.
It's a blended mess, nothing is clear cut at the same time it is discernable. Hard to describe into words.

I have a sense of what you're saying. I do not feel as firmly grounded in this world either. I just know that I would find greater meaning in life being in a closer physical proximity to people who can share similar thoughts to those expressed above.

I really do think we are misunderstanding something here.

My choice is also the opposite of the whole point of this post; In terms of socialization, don't limit myself. :|

Sure the whole idea would make my life easier and fulfilled in some way, but I prefer something beyond that.
And when I said I came from a different world, I do not also mean as an autistic living in an NT world.

It also mean I grew up in a context where this whole paradoxical idea between respective individuals and respective groups.
And the messy concepts of identity, categorization, allegiances and socialization, also how to merge and un-merge -- those things are child's play. :lol:

I have a lot of ideas pertaining that. I really just don't have the words for it. :|

Thank you for your input

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 11:00 am

I'd prefer not to live that close to other people but I would rather live in an apartment of autistics than an apartment of NTs. It would be quieter at least.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 11:30 am

Udinaas wrote:
I'd prefer not to live that close to other people but I would rather live in an apartment of autistics than an apartment of NTs. It would be quieter at least.

Quieter. People would generally understand the need to be left alone. And then on occasion a real friend would be made.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2020, 5:53 pm

I don't think it would work.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2020, 11:21 pm

Sometimes I imagine the WP regulars living in the same neighbourhood. What a sight that would be.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 12:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Sometimes I imagine the WP regulars living in the same neighbourhood. What a sight that would be.

Bood on the street, based on PPR. 8O

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 1:45 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

:lol: For me, that would be entertaining to watch.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 11:33 am

I think a large collection of autistic people left to their own devices living on their own would never work. Given the choice I think the community will isolate itself yet become dependant on outside help for pretty much everything.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 12:16 pm

Nades wrote:
I think a large collection of autistic people left to their own devices living on their own would never work. Given the choice I think the community will isolate itself yet become dependant on outside help for pretty much everything.

I think that if the group were cherry-picked for high functioning and compatibility, it could generate a large surplus. It would probably be better at tailoring employment for lower functioning aspies than NTs. However, all the usual hazards of intentional communities would threaten stability. Humans have a natural "troop" size of around 150 people. In a shared enterprise of 100, everyone is usually pulling their weight. By 200 members, it has delaminated into regular and privileged positions. Aspies may well have a smaller "troop" size. In either case, systems engineering shows promise at guiding us to split into two new "cells" before each gets too big, and make them still symbiotic.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 12:59 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Nades wrote:

I think that if the group were cherry-picked for high functioning and compatibility, it could generate a large surplus. It would probably be better at tailoring employment for lower functioning aspies than NTs. However, all the usual hazards of intentional communities would threaten stability. Humans have a natural "troop" size of around 150 people. In a shared enterprise of 100, everyone is usually pulling their weight. By 200 members, it has delaminated into regular and privileged positions. Aspies may well have a smaller "troop" size. In either case, systems engineering shows promise at guiding us to split into two new "cells" before each gets too big, and make them still symbiotic.

It's hard to get around those large unemployment rates of aspies though. A community where only 20% of people are employed is one destined to fail in my view. There is also the issue of such a community becoming an echo chamber of sorts where people fail to develop coping strategies and have to much opportunity to withdraw into themselves because all their peers are also unable to cope with many stressors or tasks. I probably would never have become the person I am today without NT's showing me the way.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 1:14 pm

I never feel loneliness.

I thought feeling loneliness was an NT trait?

Only time I miss anyone is if it's my cat. Cos I can't exactly text her when I'm away from home.

Otherwise I just text ppl in my family and I don't care much about other ppl outside the family to miss them.

Mum can text me for 3 days solid and still miss me, makes no sense to me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 1:18 pm

Good points, Nades. However, if all the local employers were aspie-friendly, and NTs were not available, I think those unemployment numbers would be pretty flexible. I recall a vid about a car wash with only aspies on staff. They looked a bit goofy, but they got the job done. Also, whenever I have had a routine job, I've spent my time figuring out a machine to replace me. The trick is to own the machine and collect its salary.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 1:19 pm

The original post and all subsequent posts mention a co-op. A co-op is essentially a co-owned apartment complex. It has a membership
board and can set whatever requirements it wants for admission into the co-op. Income would be the most obvious requirement to ensure a new member would be able to afford living there. A co-op does not require a sharing or division of labor to function. It is essentially an apartment complex, with stricter admissions. The purpose of a co-op with AS or HFA as an admission requirement would be for those interested in living in a more understanding atmosphere.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2020, 1:20 pm

KT67 wrote:
I never feel loneliness.

I thought feeling loneliness was an NT trait?

Only time I miss anyone is if it's my cat. Cos I can't exactly text her when I'm away from home.

Otherwise I just text ppl in my family and I don't care much about other ppl outside the family to miss them.

Mum can text me for 3 days solid and still miss me, makes no sense to me.

Interesting. There are plenty threads here on the topic of loneliness. I would doubt this is a trait only associated with neurotypical people.