Page 7 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 2:23 pm

Don't forget about the codgers. Pensions are the ideal at-home income, and seniors typically need some community, and have a lot of experience. I'm more interested in going off-grid, and I think I'd make an ideal "adopted grandfather." I've got a pension that follows me anywhere, and lots of tools and know-how. The tools I'll leave behind, but I'd rather leave the instructions in an apprentice.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 3:33 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Don't forget about the codgers. Pensions are the ideal at-home income, and seniors typically need some community, and have a lot of experience. I'm more interested in going off-grid, and I think I'd make an ideal "adopted grandfather." I've got a pension that follows me anywhere, and lots of tools and know-how. The tools I'll leave behind, but I'd rather leave the instructions in an apprentice.

Yes absolutely a co-op is not allowed to discriminate on the basis of age for the purpose of membership, and I would imagine retirees and pensioners would most likely enjoy the concept of co-op living as well and they would easily make good applicants given the nature of a fixed and predictable monthly income.

Having lived off grid I'm less into the idea as a means of developing community and addressing chronic loneliness because it either requires having too many people in one space with not a lot of personal space OR it involves needing to purchase a large parcel of land so that a fairly large number of people can have some comfortable distances between each other.

There's The Greater World Taos Earthship community which would be great for hermeticism with an option for mild interaction with generally odd and out-there people. The plots are pretty spaced out (pun intended) enough for plenty of sanctuary away from your neighbors but close enough where it's conceivable that you could see another human being once a month or so. The entire community is plotted for 130 homes total and sits on 630 acres. At full occupancy it is a hair over Dunbar's numbers for a tribe considering that many homes are not single occupancy and currently many plots have yet to be built. Currently the community has 70 or so homes built.

I can go on and on and on about earthships I would love to build communities like these across the planet for everyone not just people on the spectrum. When it comes to addressing chronic loneliness I am not certain that the earthship community model is the most ideal, but is tremendously beneficial for the planet as a whole.

https://www.earthshipglobal.com/

Chronic loneliness in people on the spectrum is something that moves me the most and also makes me feel like I have the power to make an impact because it just takes one person to be less lonely to make a world of difference.

Last edited by adromedanblackhole on 09 Dec 2020, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 3:51 pm

One of the farms I looked at before finding my house in a small town had enough hills and patches of trees that you could easily put in a dozen houses that were not visible from each other, but still within walking distance.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 4:09 pm

Dear_one wrote:
One of the farms I looked at before finding my house in a small town had enough hills and patches of trees that you could easily put in a dozen houses that were not visible from each other, but still within walking distance.

Nice. I'm really quite captivated by Dunbar's numbers and creating opportunities for physical expressions of community that more or less follow these
numbers. The current community I live in probably has about 150 people living here in separate houses. I know one household here and that is it. It is a physical community, it even has a gate, but it is not true community. We all just happen to live in the same space. There is nothing that binds any of us whatsoever.

But if: you increase proximity, have a shared commonality that is important and shapes the overall social context of the group, and offer a shared space that is likely to be utilized for practical purposes on a daily basis (a large remote office space for instance) you're increasing odds of interactions and increasing odds of whittling down the mass of 150 into their respective social hierarchies of roughly 5 close connections, 15 dinner party friends, 35-50 activity buddies.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 4:30 pm

" A new housing development is politically inert for five years."
I used to live on an island where you could go to a meeting about sewers, and see two guys get into a screaming match during the debate. Then, in the lobby, one would turn to the other and casually say "Need a ride home?" and off they'd go, talking about something they agreed on.

adromedanblackhole
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 5:06 pm

Dear_one wrote:
" A new housing development is politically inert for five years."
I used to live on an island where you could go to a meeting about sewers, and see two guys get into a screaming match during the debate. Then, in the lobby, one would turn to the other and casually say "Need a ride home?" and off they'd go, talking about something they agreed on.

The housing community I live in was built in 1976. It is just a physical space where people live. It is not a community in any other sense.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 6:05 pm

adromedanblackhole wrote:
Would you relocate to live in a community designed by and for people on the spectrum? I'm thinking small like a co-op primarily for people who are self-supporting. Chronic loneliness is something many of us suffer from our entire lives, it would be nice if we didn't have to.

I would live in an area with a good portion of autistic people. I don't want to live in the same building as a bunch of autistic people though, I don't desire to live in a building with anyone outside of my immediate family.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2020, 9:12 pm

i would if it was a supported living like place

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 3:58 pm

Sounds interesting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:08 pm

Instead of setting up an "Autistics Only" community -- which would inevitably turn into an "Autistics Only" ghetto -- a more effective solution may be to set up an "Autistics' Administration", along the lines of the Veterans' Administration, but with less politics and more practical support.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:09 pm

Would you relocate to live in a community designed by and for people on the spectrum? I'm thinking small like a co-op primarily for people who are self-supporting. Chronic loneliness is something many of us suffer from our entire lives, it would be nice if we didn't have to.

No I would not move to a community like that

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Instead of setting up an "Autistics Only" community -- which would inevitably turn into an "Autistics Only" ghetto -- a more effective solution may be to set up an "Autistics' Administration", along the lines of the Veterans' Administration, but with less politics and more practical support.

Why would it turn into an autistics only ghetto?

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:33 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

No I would not move to a community like that

Why wouldn't you? just want to know.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 4:36 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Why would it turn into an autistics only ghetto?
The same way that spaces set aside for marginalized people always seem turn into ghettos -- through bureaucratic neglect and deliberate bigotry.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 6:18 pm

Guys, it won't be a ghetto. It'll be a reservation. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2021, 6:27 pm

then i'd like to make a reservation for the reservation.