Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1930
Gender: Male
Posts: 438
Location: wales

26 Nov 2020, 5:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
Then again, the UK is run by conservatives, who think that everyone is rich like them or are able to get rich overnight. But I do know that there is a lot of support choices, like citizens advice, solicitors, supported housing, and rent rebates and other services if you are really struggling.

Conservatives must mean something different in the UK because you guys have the NHS and the council housing. Being poor there seems better than being poor in the US. I also found you can make more on benefits than you do when you work so that makes me think the wages there are too low and they need to raise them if they want poor people to work.

Who wants to work if they will just be poorer because they will be getting less?

The benefits system hasn't really changed much over the years here. The maximum claimable benefits was reduced to the average UK salary, before benefit income could be higher than the national average salary. The other big change that was made is that the assessments for benefits became stricter but I don't know if misconduct by the company that assessed claimants was actually known to the government.

Housing from the council could also be an option in OP's case but I think changing the deeds is better.


User avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,367
Location: Canada in person, Germany in spirit

27 Nov 2020, 10:23 pm

Nades wrote:
Speak to your Dad first about it. He could very well be very understanding of your concerns. Secondly speak to a lawyer specialising in property. There are probably ways of making yourself very difficult to remove from that house. Could paying your Dad a small amount each month legally make you a tenant even without any contract? How about singing a percentage of the house over to you and your siblings? There might even be tax benefits in doing that AND the benefit you have a stake in the house.

Ask these types of questions to a lawyer or even a tax specialist. There are probably ways to get around this problem if you ask them.

I think that would be the best thing for you to do.

Augustus Gloop The Plump, Little Schlager

Kanye West 2024



User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2020
Gender: Female
Posts: 556
Location: Los Angeles

28 Nov 2020, 1:16 am

This sounds more like his musings than an enforceable plan. Here are some things to think about:

Does he have a will? Does he have a trust to avoid the will going to public contestation/probate?

What he might have meant was that he would prefer his survivors to sell the house, which would give each of you a share in the sale and thus some money to live on when he's gone. Does he have an in force life insurance policy? This would also help the three of you take care of yourselves as an inheritance.


Joined: 4 Mar 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,784

28 Nov 2020, 4:08 pm



Stock market

Real estate investment

Work from home




Day labor

Advertise for odd jobs



User avatar

Joined: 2 Feb 2008
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,361
Location: Where the Great Plains meet the Northern Pines

28 Nov 2020, 10:09 pm

You can also work on the terror part by pretending to be homeless. Poke around, and see what options might work for you. Talk to people who have been there and made it back, etc. Maybe volunteer at a charity as an easy way to meet the "right" crowd. I've been homeless twice, once with youth, and once with money. I'll be a lot better prepared if it happens again.