Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

EJoy29
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2020, 11:27 pm

I’m high functioning. I live on my own and do most things that are expected of me. My parents help financially even though I work (I just don’t make enough money despite trying to make enough money) and my parents aren’t going to be around forever. They say they want to have the “basics covered” for me and at least have me know where to go. I have no significant other and no siblings. Extended family live several hours away.

I figure most stuff out but I need assistance at times. With just figuring stuff out. I don’t know. I feel lost.

Any, uh, help or insights?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 3:54 am

So if I understood correctly, you'd want to be even more independent so that you wouldn't need financial aid from your parents or their help with basic stuff, right?

When it comes to the financial side, the first question is would you be able to work a full time job (I'm assuming you have a part time one now if you don't make enough to cover the basics) if you managed to get one? If yes, then keep searching. If no, check if there are any kind of disability benefits or the like that you have a right to.

As for doing the things that one must be able to do to be independent, try to learn as much from your parents as you can when they can still help. Also learn how to seek advice from books and and the internet. Trying to find another person who could help you would also be good; are there any services that help autistic people with every day life in your area? Some kind of voluntary workers, for example?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2020, 4:02 am

The easy way to "make it" is to find a man...

timf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 10:00 am

If your parents would like to continue to help you after they are gone, they might consider setting up a trust for you with a bank. This could provide a continuing supplemental income should you need it.

Marriage used to be a way to secure a financial future, but as our society is becoming rapidly more selfish, this might cause more problems that it solves. Even Christian circles where people were supposed to show Christian love (selflessness) are increasingly becoming communities of the self serving.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 11:28 am

Without knowing the details of your situation, I would just suggest reading up on money management and budgeting can be helpful. It would be nice to make more money, but living frugally is helpful, too. Considering how the way most people live, if you don't have tons of debt, that's already pretty good.

I don't know your age and if it's too late to start a fund or pension plan. If mom and dad have anything saved for you, they can get you an annuity of some sort to supplement your income. Finance stuff can be complicated. It might be best to talk to someone who knows these things.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 6:34 pm

timf wrote:
I Even Christian circles where people were supposed to show Christian love (selflessness) are increasingly becoming communities of the self serving.

This happened a long long time ago. The days of christians martyring themselves in Roman colosseums for their beliefs is but a memory.

Finding a good heart is like looking for a diamond in the rough.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 6:43 pm

I must say that I disagree with that sentiment.

I know many people with good and decent hearts.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 6:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I must say that I disagree with that sentiment.

I know many people with good and decent hearts.

Then you have found a diamond cluster

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 6:54 pm

Nope....most people are Garnet, rather than Diamond-----but they are made of solid Garnet stuff!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2020, 8:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nope....most people are Garnet, rather than Diamond-----but they are made of solid Garnet stuff!

:lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 12:14 am

y-pod wrote:
Without knowing the details of your situation, I would just suggest reading up on money management and budgeting can be helpful. It would be nice to make more money, but living frugally is helpful, too. Considering how the way most people live, if you don't have tons of debt, that's already pretty good.

I second that. If you are not at work, you can work on reducing expenses. For housing, I have rented a whole house and then lived almost free in the basement, subletting the rest. I can live in a car. I am vegan, and buy most of my food as ingredients. I buy used things and do my own repairs. I ride a bicycle.
On the income side, you may be able to leverage your talents for higher pay. Quiet, non-messy house repairs were one of my specialties. A friend has created a lot of "nickel generators" - minor businesses, mostly on-line, that produce a steady trickle of funds.
There was an excellent book written for artists and writers on how to live on a small and variable income. One key when a check comes in is to celebrate without any extravagance. You can mark the occasion with a luxury chocolate bar, but not a fancy refrigerator.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 9:12 am

cyberdad wrote:

If your spouse earns a lot more than you and no divorce, then you "make it"

Otherwise alimony

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2020, 8:49 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

If your spouse earns a lot more than you and no divorce, then you "make it"

Otherwise alimony

In that case this dude achieved the impossible
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/92344 ... gar-daddy/

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2020, 5:38 am

ejoy29 you don't mention your age. I am guessing you are adult ? I bet your parents would help you figure out what you need to be more independent. It is nice you have support right now! When I left my parents home I learned there was a world of things I knew nothing about. Finances, how to budget, save, balance a check book. How to plan menu and shop for food, how to store food safely and plan ahead to be frugal ( using a roast for several planned meals instead of buying lots of little pre- prepared very expensive meals for example). I had to learn how to maintain my apartment, learn things like how to change a fuse/ where the electric, plumbing, heat etc was and what needed to be done to care for these things. I had to learn about my transportation. Would I use a car, a bicycle, taxi, bus, train? I had to learn how to do those things. I needed to learn about setting up basic routines for self care, cleaning,caring for linens and changing the sheets and cleaning the blankets, doing laundry... all the details that had been in place when I lived at home needed to be worked out and thought about. I had to learn what social services were available and "how to do it" ( i was very low income and got support for my food budget) I had to learn about insurance, income tax, and how to do it or get advice. I got a car so I had to learn about licenses, maintenance, insurance, etc, plus how to care for the car (wash, clean, etc etc). Lots of these things may come naturally to people but I had to have most of them explained or learn from books (there was no internet back then, yeah, I'm a dinosaur) I don't know how much of this applies to you. You might want to start learning about housing, what expenses might be for you when you live alone, and how much more you might need to supplement your income, etc. It always pays to plan ahead. I wish I had thought of it "back then". :)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2020, 11:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:

The hardest way to earn money is to marry it.