Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:18 pm

A high pitch noise that starts up when I go to bed at night. The same thing happens in the daytime when I put my hands over my ears.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:20 pm

Tinnitus?

That continuous high pitch like sound in the ear or head happens for some reason.
Usually the quieter, the more noticable -- or worse; levels of loudness or quietness as a trigger.

But that's the simplest words for it -- it can get more complicated if the explanation gets deeper than that.
It can be a symptom of something or not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:35 pm

Yes. Two most likely culprits. Do you live near a mobile phone mast. Many have had these issues when they upgraded them to 4G ad I am told that 5G is worse. Only some people can hear them and those some have had big problems.
The other is with directed energy weapons being used.
Those two are the most common culprits.
Other possibilities are windmills (Though these tend to woosh), and other external gadgets like modern electricity meters that work from wifi devices. Also some wifi has also been blamed for this as I used to have great difficulties sleeping for the first few months when we had wifi and I would get peace when I turned the wifi off at night. Sadly I could not do this as brother does not hear it and said not to turn it off.
After about 6 or 7 months I became deaf to the very high pitches so I can no longer hear bats or dog whistles like I used to, so you can eventually get some peace through it.
Hearing aids can also do this where the wearer does not hear it but everyone else does! There is no one living nearby with a hearing aid? As when they do this they can be very loud as well!

Lots of possibilities.

First try to turn your electricity off for a while to check it is nothing inside your home. If the sound is still there, look for external sources like a 4G or 5G mobile phone mast. Older phone masts masts did not do this until they upgraded them.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 6:12 pm

^ ^^ Thanks.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 7:29 pm

I have tinnitus that I only really notice while going to sleep at night or when I cover my ears (because that's when it's quiet enough to notice). If it only happens during those two times it's probably tinnitus, since a lot of people don't have it loud enough to notice otherwise. It can happen from either damage to your ear or just aging. I have it from constant ear infections.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 7:31 pm

Yes. There are other things it could be like blood pressure type of tinitus?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 7:40 pm

Tinnitus , mine went away after a very long extended use of antibiotics to treat a serious illness , babesia.
But many things can create a tinnitus effect. , if you work around noises situations for so many hours a day .

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 8:13 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I have tinnitus that I only really notice while going to sleep at night or when I cover my ears (because that's when it's quiet enough to notice). If it only happens during those two times it's probably tinnitus, since a lot of people don't have it loud enough to notice otherwise. It can happen from either damage to your ear or just aging. I have it from constant ear infections.

At very nearly 64 if tinnitus it's probably age related in my case.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2021, 8:20 pm

Yes. I've been have tinnitus on and off the past year. My doc said its a combination of severe allergies, sinus pressure and stress. He said everything was swollen, my lymph nodes, sinuses, around my ear and jaw etc. It puts pressure on the inner ear and nerves around your head. Also, said lack of sleep and the severe stress of the past few years take there toll and have been known to cause it.

So I treat the symptoms of allergies and try to reduce stress 8O which doesn't always work. I find a warm pack over my ear before bed helps a little, don't know if it just calms me down and is psychological... but whatever helps me get to sleep. Oh a sound machine helps block it out.

And apparently, many causes of tinnitus are neurological. My doc told me about this unethical case study done in the 60s on people with severe tinnitus. The control group they left alone, but with the experiment group they surgically made them deaf...
And they could still hear the ringing! But could no longer mask it with music because they couldn't hear anything else. 8O so not cool.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 11:20 pm

I notice the same thing when I first go to bed. It's almost like a very high hum.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2021, 11:28 pm

I have it also. Stress and fatigue can make the sound more noticeable.

LeahKerr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2021, 8:27 am

Same problem

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2021, 11:37 am

Like MG says:

Check electrical devices (TV, DVD player, receiver boxes (freeview/sky etc)). Fridges, and heaters if you've got them.

If you've near neighbours it could be something they are putting on late at night, washing machine or something.

Failing that it is probably a hearing issue.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 11:52 am

i also would put my bet on Tinnitus.
Very common especially among those who are over a certain age.

I recently discovered that some antidepressants also cause Tinnitus.
I suffer from Tinnitus intermittently. Again, late at night.

Incidentally, i also read that a build up of ear wax can also cause tinnitus
as a build up of ear wax causes blockages in the ear canal.

The build of of ear wax is also common among people who use headphones,
especially noise cancelling headphones every day (for an hour or so).

In such cases, you can buy a special type of olive oil that you can use to put
into your ears in order to mix with the ear wax which makes it easier to drain out
of your ear.

Valium also sometimes can help if the tinnitus is related to stress levels.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 12:49 pm

Wonder if it is condition brought more by something aggravating the part of the nervous system that regulates activity in the eardrum itself . And tinnitus is showing up as a symptom

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2021, 10:21 pm

It seems tinnitus is more common in those with ASD.