Is wrong planet synonymous with giving up on this one?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Dec 2020, 6:23 pm

I'm aware of where the term came from and I get that I'm taking it literally, but it is a great starting point for a conversation.

To feel you're on the wrong planet, does it not lead to surrendering this planet to the mob of nts?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 6:41 pm

No. :twisted:

It can also mean the opposite; I'm freer than NTs.

NTs can only maintain an unstable system for so long and collapse.

Let them play their little games.
Let them pay for breaking themselves in some farce that is most people are conditioned to blindly maintain in futility.
Yes, even autistic individuals given if they're conditioned enough to believe in ideas of how life is worth and how it should live. :P

It's just autistics tend to have less endurance and skill -- in plenty of cases the capacity -- of maintaining the farce or simply being in one.

Also one doesn't need to be an ND or in a spectrum to feel like they're in a wrong planet.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 6:50 pm

I think the NTs need us and we need them.
Just got to find a way to co-exist peacefully :scratch:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 6:59 pm

I agree with Ms Peel....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 7:23 pm

I "deal with it" here but feel it is dehumanizing.
Last year I created a poll about changing the name of this website. Putting it mildly it did not go well. Same result when I proposed it back in 2014.

As I wrote last year
"While like most autistics I have felt like an alien somehow mistakenly dropped here by mistake I know that I am a human fully deserving the respect and consideration given to "normal" humans. I feel the widespread acceptance of the alien analogy is self-defeating, an acceptance of discrimination, and internalized ableism. Faced with the widespread acceptance of the alien analogy and the very strong likelihood that Alex is not going to change the name I was and am faced with the choice of quitting WP or staying. I still cringe at the name, never have truly gotten used to it. I have come to the conclusion that the positives this site does for me outweighs the negative of being offended by the name."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 29 Dec 2020, 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 7:27 pm

ChiefEspatier wrote:
To feel you're on the wrong planet, does it not lead to surrendering this planet to the mob of nts?
Given the differing ways that different people will behave it is certain that both yes and no are the answer to that question depending on the specific person being looked at.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 7:47 pm

ChiefEspatier wrote:
I'm aware of where the term came from and I get that I'm taking it literally, but it is a great starting point for a conversation.

How can you surrender the planet to them, it's already theirs to begin with. :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 10:20 pm

I think that Mrs. Peel has a very good point.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 12:35 pm

I've never thought of that; I've always just considered the name to be a funny and fitting joke.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 1:06 pm

It is my personal opinion that if an Aspie evolves properly, they can be transformed into a nonconformist.

The following are quotes about nonconformist:

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do. – Rob Siltanen: Apple, "Think Different" campaign

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. - Albert Einstein

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are showing a new road. - Voltaire

Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. - Winston Churchill

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A "normal" person is the sort of person that might be designed by a committee. You know, "Each person puts in a pretty color and it comes out gray." - Alan Sherman

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

The average man is a conformist, accepting miseries and disasters with the stoicism of a cow standing in the rain. - Colin Wilson

Freedom began on the day the first sheep wandered away from the herd. ― Marty Rubin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:18 pm

NT's cannot live without autistic people...and vice versa.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:50 pm

As much as I feel I don't belong here, I won't give up on it. Asperger himself called autism a natural entity (hence my username) after all. The other kinds of entity that outnumber us have made this society near inhospitable for some. The feeling of not belonging is justified. But don't give up on it just yet.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:22 pm

I don't mind the name. I mostly view it as a joke at this point, and I know some people do feel like they live on the "wrong planet". Even if I don't always agree with that view that doesn't change the fact feeling "alien" is what a lot of autistic people experience, and I still feel like that sometimes (though instead of an alien I feel like my experience is comparable to another great ape/primate that is social but isn't biologically programmed to act completely like a human...). I also don't think it's self defeating, as long as you don't take the "alien" feeling and run with it, and then start saying that you're an actual alien or an "evolved/devolved" human being.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:37 pm

Yes, I think that the term was used quiet a lot by psychologists who analysed people with Autism Spectrum Disorder,
saying that we behave like people who aren't designed for this planet due to our various challenges.

And sure, I think suffering from Autism Spectrum Disorder does feel like that,
to be wired differently to the general public, finding it hard to communicate and fit in with "normal people",
can make you feel like your an alien.