Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

07 Jan 2021, 6:49 pm

This has really been scaring me lately is it possible I can have “social ptsd”? I get angry with people right away and always felt misunderstood or never had the chance to be heard then when I give my views and how I see reality or how things should be done during arguments people ignore or leave, yet they listen to each other, is it possible us Aspies take ourselves seriously? Or are proud? Or is it just the crazy world we live in people are afraid of each other? Or is it possible besides Aspergers I am delusional or bipolar?

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

I don't know what "social ptsd" is, but I don't think you are delusional, or bipolar. What you are saying makes sense. Don't forget, NTs pay more attention to the way HOW you speak, than to the actual content of what you are saying. If you feel misunderstood and ignored, it probably affects the way you speak. You may show less confidence, more annoyance. NTs perceive that and automatically ignore everything you say, regardless of what you say.

So it's like a vicious circle, the more you are ignored, the less confident you are, and the less confident you are, the more you are ignored.

The way out of it is to stop caring whether they listen to you or not. You know when you are right and you can use your brain for your own benefit. Their ignorance - their loss.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2021, 10:44 am

That's sad but true: it's not what you say, it's not how you say it, but who says it. If NTs think you're cool, you could make misogynist jokes if you wanted, and even women will think it's funny. I've been on both sides of the equation. The "bad" side, so many times I lost count. The "good" side used to be extremely rare, but became more common in the last 5 years.

I remember singing karaoke on my cruise in 2019, when I changed the song lyrics around to make them about the cruise. One woman in the audience thought it was the coolest thing she ever heard, and shouted at me to join her once I walked offstage. Me and her, as well as her friends, bonded instantly. She praised many times for being ballsy enough to go on a cruise by myself. What was interesting is that she seemed like the type who would have easily eaten me alive 15 years prior. Similarly, when I took my first cruise in 2012, also by myself, I was terrified of being bullied for that.

Basically, same action, different reactions.