Do you have problems changing activities?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm

Does anyone else have problems switching between the most simple of activities?

Whenever I need, or even when I want to do something it feels impossible to stop doing what I'm already doing. Even if I'm on my phone and want to go play a video game or do something else I enjoy I sometimes won't do it because it involves switching tasks and my brain apparently no likey. lol

It's just this intense feeling of annoyance and reluctance that isn't dependent on what I'm doing/going to do at all. I don't know if it's ADHD or autism or just laziness.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 1:10 pm

I have a lot of trouble changing activities. It is one of my many executive dysfunction. It is frustrating to know I want to do something and be unable to switch gears. More so when it is something I want to do.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 1:15 pm

I'm usually quick to get out of this chair to visit the washroom or kitchen at need, but the activity of trying to compose a reply continues. The bigger the change, the more reluctant I am to change, because it can take hours to re-construct the problem in my head. Scott Adams points out that when a manager calls a quick meeting, he often destroys hours of effort for every engineer present.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 5:49 pm

yes! I find sometimes I need to encourage myself by saying aloud, "change gears, change gears" quirky, eh? It seems to help to verbally recognize that I am undergoing transition mentally and physically at the time I am attempting this act. No idea why. Cheering myself on to accomplish it? I don't know!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 6:52 pm

Inconsistently.

Times I can switch gears easy, times I couldn't do well...
And times I cannot remain staying into one activity and had to switch gears.

Reason? Unknown.
Lethargy and/or restlessness couldn't even explain it. But irritability might.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 6:58 pm

I had trouble getting off my butt to do my walk/run today.

I have trouble "starting things" in general.

I am a Great Procrastinator.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:27 pm

Yeah it makes me both incredibly hard working and incredibly 'lazy'.

For eg right now I should be getting upstairs doing my teeth. Instead I'm on the computer just cos I have been on the computer for the last half hour.

But when I was shelving my books at my last place, I pretty much did it non stop for 3 days.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 8:19 pm

I'm not sure if I have this problem or not.

Usually when I'm doing a chore I kind of cut corners or rush to get it done, or I'll just stop halfway and say "that'll do for now, maybe I'll do the rest tomorrow" but then it never gets finished. I don't know if it's laziness or forgetfulness.

I don't seem to "see" mess. Like I'll let the couch get messy with magazines, books, pens, coats, scarves, you name it - and not notice how much of a mess I have made until my boyfriend says "look at the state of the couch!" But I have a messy, cluttered mind, so having messy, cluttered surroundings just matches my mind.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 8:31 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I'm usually quick to get out of this chair to visit the washroom or kitchen at need, but the activity of trying to compose a reply continues. The bigger the change, the more reluctant I am to change, because it can take hours to re-construct the problem in my head. Scott Adams points out that when a manager calls a quick meeting, he often destroys hours of effort for every engineer present.

Now that is what used to throw me off with working on bikes. I would have a list of jobs to do, one bike after the next, and I would have worked out exactly how I was going to tackle each task; but half way through one of the sales staff would come in and say "Leave that". I want you to do this! And the this would throw not only the bike I was already half way through working on so I would be basically starting it all over again as if I had not touched it, but it would also mentally throw my whole scedule out of order where I would need to sit there and mentally plan the entire shift out in my head again before I could proceed!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:05 pm

autisticelders wrote:
yes! I find sometimes I need to encourage myself by saying aloud, "change gears, change gears" quirky, eh? It seems to help to verbally recognize that I am undergoing transition mentally and physically at the time I am attempting this act. No idea why. Cheering myself on to accomplish it? I don't know!

I have to mentally scold myself and tell myself that I need to just get up and do whatever I'm going to do so I can get it over with. Then when I do it I don't dread it anymore and I wonder why the hell I was so reluctant to... Until I need to do something else and then it repeats. lol

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:07 pm

KT67 wrote:
Yeah it makes me both incredibly hard working and incredibly 'lazy'.

For eg right now I should be getting upstairs doing my teeth. Instead I'm on the computer just cos I have been on the computer for the last half hour.

But when I was shelving my books at my last place, I pretty much did it non stop for 3 days.

If I'm doing something "useful" then it definitely also makes me productive because I don't want to stop until I'm done, but if I'm just playing a video game and have to do something else I become the world's biggest procrastinator.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:15 pm

Yes, I've long had more difficulty than most people seem to have with what I call "mental gear-shifting overhead."

Blacker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2021, 11:22 pm

I get it.

When I want to draw I can't do it right away or when I get a new game I tend to wait and the reason I can describe it is: its just not the right moment or maybe my therapist would call it not functioning atm.

I think it's the same thing. I'm going to go draw.

Add me on facebook!
^likes the misfits

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:47 pm

Yeah, it happens to me at work, too.
I finish doing something and should move on to the next thing but can't - I get stuck just wanting to look over the completed thing one more time. And again, just to be sure. Maybe one more time.
Aargh!
I have to go out and walk around the block to re-boot my head.

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2021, 8:46 am

This always happens on here...
I click on a thread, thinking "Oh, I don't really have that issue" or "I don't do that" and then, reading the replies, I'm like, "Oh... I guess I do this."
I can relate to most of these replies. I do most of this.
I am continually surprised how much better I think my Executive Function is, than what it actually is. My EF is apparently a case study in Dunning-Kruger, lol...

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 12:35 pm

I procrastinate a lot and it takes a long time for me to start focusing on things that are cognitively demanding, like writing. I thought I might have ADHD but I took an online test that put me below the threshold to be evaluated for it. It may not have been accurate but I'm inclined to believe it because I usually answered no on the questions about hyperactivity. So I don't know if its ADD or just autism. The reason I suspect its ADD is that once I try to start I usually only have problems with things that would require a lot of thought for an NT. I'm a little more absent minded than average but I don't have serious problems with things like cooking. Socializing is the only thing that's cognitively draining for me but not for most NTs.