how often do NT's use facial expressions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2021, 12:45 am

do they use them ALL the time?

Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 1:34 am

Pretty much. Most of the time it's quite subtle though so can't be easily detected even by an attentive aspie.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 1:38 am

All the time. I've learned to recognize some subtle expressions, and after I learned that it was jarring seeing how often people just innately make facial expressions without necessarily noticing they're doing it.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 3:05 am

hollowmoon wrote:
do they use them ALL the time?

They don't "use" them in the sense of being deliberate about sending signals. Expressions are involuntary, and even the best poker player is likely to have micro-expressions that can be read if you are fast enough. On the receiving end, the information usually stays subconscious, but still controls behaviour. There is also a wealth of information in body language. Both are used continuously, although often not clearly.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 5:11 am

All the time? Yes, pretty much, but they don't do it consciously most of the time. Different expressions just come automatically to them (and at least some of us) depending on the situation. Sometimes they also do it consciously, like when they want to be sure that the message gets across or if they want to make a different expression than what they actually feel like.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 5:25 am

Pretty much yeah.

Depending on the language, they can be more or less subtle about it.

I can only understand them (the facial expressions) when they're speaking BSL.

I lack the confidence to do BSL level ones when speaking in English because English is such a subtle language for this stuff so I just let my face do what it wants to do.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 7:33 am

What does "BSL" mean?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 7:35 am

Yes. Here on planet earth virtually human beings, NT, AS, or whatever, have facial expressions all of the time. Though most humans don't consciously and deliberately "use" facial expression much of the time. But most do that some of the time to some degree as well.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 6:45 pm

Nts are definitely more animated. WE (stereotypically) are generally less so. I think it's because we tend to think more before we act-speak, are probably more calculated, conscientious, while they might rely more entirely on instinctual reflex behavior and programmed patternning, with less or zero of that internal inhibitory monitor-filter mental hyper-awareness/sense-data sensitivity that so defines the Aspie experience.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 9:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
What does "BSL" mean?

British Sign Language, you need to have a lot of very clear expressions.