Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 1:45 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
Out of interest, anyone been to Japan?

I am very interested in Japan. Haven grown up doing martial arts, and haven done a few different styles,
including two or three which are quintessentially Japanese (Aikido, Judo... Trained in Bujinkan a little). I also grew up doing Karate, although I haven't included Karate in the list, firstly because Karate originated in Okinawa and was imported to Japan, but
also the Karate i trained in growing up was more like Cobra Kai i.e. One of the first American Karate Style. Ed Parker Snr's American Kenpo Karate, which is a lot different to Traditional Okinawan Karate styles.

Nonetheless, would be interested to hear about anyone's experiences if they have travelled to Japan.

I've never been to Japan, but it's one of my dream places to visit one day along with the UK.

That's cool that you do martial arts, I did karate from when I was 7 until I was 13 and got my black belt. My father started shortly after I did and continued after earning his second degree black belt but stopped about two years ago.

My Tumblr

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 2:24 pm

it’s of interest to acquire the language and etiquette, along with figuring out what to go to school for to find work, but that’d be the flexibility of the dream yet. that, and wanting to experience the immersion, while doing something with at least enough down time to study a traditional instrument(shakuhachi, ryuuteki, noukan, or shinobue.), along with learning kintsugi.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 7:52 pm

half of my ancestors are japanese. i would love to be able to afford to go to japan for an extended tour.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 7:59 pm

I haven't been to Japan, but I've always wanted to learn more about its history and culture, and eventually visit there. I think it's a very nice country.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2021, 10:26 pm

I'd love to go there to teach English. But its probably too late for me now given that I'm almost 40.