Black autism researchers weigh in on field’s past, future

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 5:25 am

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/profiles/black-autism-researchers-weigh-in-on-fields-past-future/

Quote:
Black people with autism have historically been underrepresented in research, a problem compounded by the fact that there are relatively few Black scientists setting research priorities for the field. Spectrum spoke with three Black scientists about why they got into autism research, what keeps them excited about their work and how the field could become more diverse going forward. Some common themes emerged, including the need to train more scientists from historically underrepresented groups, and to seek input from those communities when developing research questions.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Mar 2021, 8:32 am

They're trying to adress the WEIRD bias.
Good. We need broader picture.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 1:09 pm

"including the need to train more scientists" strikes me hidden bias. I suppose since often minorities haven't had the same opportunities, a "boot camp" could be worthwhile, but I would prefer the statement was closer to the source of the issue. My previous job (which I left due to workplace hostility) was filled with a white man b/c there was an impression the woman of color who applied (for a second time) would need to be trained (more than him). I don't think that was a valid impression.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2021, 7:38 pm

:x Jeeeze, ya know, why the heck isn't there a "like button" on this site--GRRRRR! We need to fix that...

OK, so, yeah, people of color are totally misrepresented in most scientific studies, as well as women :roll: That's quite embarrassing. Just how many people think that only white males are Autistic?

About 20-years ago I tried to tell a young lady I was working with that she more than likely was Dyslexic. She told her school councilor this and he told her, "No, you can't be..." She was originally from Puerto Rico: gosh, racial and sexual bias maybe, ya think?

Living in the SF Bay Area I see a lot of people who are more than likely ND, but because they are not white and don't have the resources to learn about such things they get written off as cultural stereotypes :skull:

DIVAIR

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 10:26 pm

Those black researchers are very smart people. I wish that I could give them a medal for the work that they are doing.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2021, 7:47 am

Anything that has a genetic component and could present differently in various races has political target written all over it. I feel sorry for anyone attempting to do real research.