Do any of you feel like you don't fit in groups?

Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 7:44 pm

Nothing wrong with what you are doing at all, Jakki.

You are seeking connections with people----which is excellent.

I'm not a believer in religion----but I find that religion frequently makes people better, and helps people be better friends.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 8:15 pm

Thanks kraftie ......... your input in most. Appreciated ,, And A Happy St. Patrick’s day to you . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2021, 8:19 pm

where ever you go ,there you are.

What a true and wonderful quote. God is in all and through all. So it would make sense that where ever we go God is there; because we are God manifest as body.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 8:31 pm

bobaspie2015 wrote:
where ever you go ,there you are.

What a true and wonderful quote. God is in all and through all. So it would make sense that where ever we go God is there; because we are God manifest as body.

Thank you that was wonderfully worded . Your interpretation of my quote ,was intelligent and insightful .
And hope you had a good St.Patrick’s also . .

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 8:37 pm

Thanks. Happy St Patrick's Day to you, too.

simonthesly74
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2021, 5:51 pm

I feel like I don’t fit in most groups at school, even if I get along with them fine. Let’s face it: autism is essentially kryptonite to being popular in school, so I’m obviously not gonna be in any of those groups. Even the groups of less popular kids that are connected to the social mainstream are too neurotypical for me and presumably other Aspies/autists at my school. I’ve been in a couple clubs in high school, one the entirely of 9th and 10th grade, and though I got along well with the people in there, I didn’t really feel like I was part of a “group”.
I don’t really mind not being part of a group, I’m an introvert anyways who seems to get by fine without much socialization. I like to think of myself as a solitary animal, one who travels one rather than in a herd, pack, flock, or other social group. It is very rare for me to gather with more than two friends at a time.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 6:07 pm

Used to be , I could not communicate well with more than one person at a time ..and then would get pretty anxious
And generally would lose one or both friends . So it did not make sense for me to communicate with more than one person at a time, and my focus was not overly stressed . Seemed like my nervous system could not keep up.
But that was much early on in life .

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 9:55 pm

Well my little group cannot see me this weekend,,nor could not see me over Christmas.
So feeling alittle more outcast about now. Wish it were different .

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 8:05 am

I used to believe that not being liked is what gave me low self-esteem, until I realized that my own expressions of low self-esteem (i.e., complaining, frowning, slouching, et cetera) were what made people not like me.

When I stopped acting like a loser, people stopped treating me like a loser.

Then I got better.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hwoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2021, 12:30 pm

See this is a touchy situation overall because I feel like I have an easier time fitting into groups when I mask. Like if I display this filtered version of myself then it's all totally fine and there are aspects of me that succeed in group situations, but the moment I unmask and display the real me it all becomes so difficult for me to really stay around or feel like truly a part of everything. It's messed up to me because I don't...really ask for much in return (even when it's not met long as I'm filled in and it only depends on how close I am with the person anyway, ...theres a lot of layers to this) and it's not even an issue that's necessarily had with me until it's happening, to which this doesn't even really happen often save for like one friend group I more or less at this point WAS in

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

"만약 이 모든게 꿈이라면 다시는 깨고 싶지 않을거야"
(If all this is a dream, I'll never want to wake up again.)

– Parannoul

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 12:39 pm

hwoon wrote:
See this is a touchy situation overall because I feel like I have an easier time fitting into groups when I mask. Like if I display this filtered version of myself then it's all totally fine and there are aspects of me that succeed in group situations, but the moment I unmask and display the real me it all becomes so difficult for me to really stay around or feel like truly a part of everything.

In Japan, that is perfectly normal. It is considered polite to maintain a public persona. I used to chafe under the petty rules of manners, but then I realized that they make up for our inability to know much about what might upset someone else if they are already sensitized, which is often the case. To avoid feeling isolated, we just need one relationship where we can be ourselves and accept another, and it is still OK to avoid topics of disagreement.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 2:04 pm

I don't fit into any groups at all. Even in school in the groups of autistic people I met I was kind of an outlier, and I got kicked out of a group once because this NT chick found me the most annoying. I can have at most 1-2 friends without people getting annoyed with me or bored of me and figuring out they like everyone else in the group more than me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 3:06 pm

I don't fit anywhere, tbh. :?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2021, 3:07 pm

Dear_one wrote:
hwoon wrote:
See this is a touchy situation overall because I feel like I have an easier time fitting into groups when I mask. Like if I display this filtered version of myself then it's all totally fine and there are aspects of me that succeed in group situations, but the moment I unmask and display the real me it all becomes so difficult for me to really stay around or feel like truly a part of everything.

In Japan, that is perfectly normal. It is considered polite to maintain a public persona. I used to chafe under the petty rules of manners, but then I realized that they make up for our inability to know much about what might upset someone else if they are already sensitized, which is often the case. To avoid feeling isolated, we just need one relationship where we can be ourselves and accept another, and it is still OK to avoid topics of disagreement.

In a idea world ..... having that one relationship .

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 2:37 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:
Ohhhh Yes, I'm often been that "hard to place" person. The type of groups I would seek participation are way too elusive to both encourage, and find - as I've discussed several times...................here on WP!

Such elusive groups are healthy AS/NT relationships. I sense that the healthiest, and most successful AS/NT relationships stemmed from those efforts to ask the hard questions in order boost understanding of both NTs and people concerned with AS.

See why such beneficial dynamics are so elusive to find??

ADDENDUM:

People experienced with healthy AS/NT dynamics might just have gained experience by asking the hard questions on AS/NT dynamics; that is asking the hard questions were not as hard as imagined.......really!!

In a nutshell, becoming acquainted with people experienced with healthy AS/NT dynamics is an awesome goal - a goal to achieve once the pandemic is brought under control!

That difficult step in "breaking the ice" might come through participation in concrete, confidence building activities -- I strongly feel that the arts e.g., drawing, painting, sculpture can "break the ice so to speak!"

Activities like the arts allow participants to unite around concrete activities. This might just be favorable - as people on the Autism Spectrum tend to relate best to inanimate objects e.g., in this case tools and materials applied in the arts are well................concrete and inanimate.

The arts allow that healthy focusing on inanimate objects boost confidence within activities ripe for developing friendships - that's right you read this correctly -- an awesome ice-breaker!!

Developing friendships in settings understanding of AS/NT relationships can also be favorable in setting the stage towards developing intimate relationships.

Any specific experiences?

One reason to boost initiatives in developing AS/NT friendships: What about the names of people to list on forms asking 'who to contact in case of emergency?'?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm

I spent almost a year in a group, and was getting good feedback, but yesterday I decided I was just too uncomfortable there.