Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 2:06 am

When you find friends do you experience feelings of love for them? What do you feel about friends when you have them?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 6:40 am

The Greeks have many words for love. I have a brotherly love for my best friend, another straight man. I like him for the entertaining conversation, and our shared philosophy on life. I know that if I need a place to stay, his is available, and if we give each other stuff, we don't need to keep score. Even thanks are not needed.
I have shared both romantic love and friendship with women, but never met one with the same values.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 10:46 pm

I feel love for my two closest friends, but it's not of the romantic type.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2021, 12:06 am

Yes. To me my closest friends are like family. I do my best to always be there for them when they need it and they do the same for me. I enjoy their company and even if we don't talk for long periods of time, I still think about them and pray that they are doing well.

It's definitely hard to describe in words. My best friend is like the sister I always wanted but never had. We do argue and get on each other's nerves at times :oops: But at the end of the day I would do almost anything for her even when she's driving me crazy. I think thats love.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

OkaySometimes
Raven
Raven

21 Mar 2021, 5:44 am

Okay, I know it will sound like a Hallmark card but my best friend is my wife. When we met, we were friends for like 10 minutes and then... things developed further. Okay, it was about a month and a half between the first "meet for coffee and chat" and when she leaned over and kissed me. That will be 17 years ago in a couple months.
We've always kept that friendship, and built on it. It's made a really strong relationship. We love each other, we have a child, but the foundation is a really strong friendship. It's also the only friendship I've been able to maintain for this long in my life. I'm at a point now where I'm not interested in friendship really, and if something happened between us I'd be fine alone (well, semi-alone, we'd be cooperating on raising a child,) but I'm much happier with her than I'd be without her.
Other friendships I've had did not do this, so it's not every friendship for me, but everyone I've been in any sort of long-term relationship with has started as a friend.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 1:32 pm

Either i feel nothing for them or i feel like they are Angels to associate themselves with me since i am pitiable.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 2:11 pm

My “friends” make my day, truly. They make everything better. We share music, photos, comedy, love and build each other up when needed.

McGinnity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2021, 5:17 pm

Edited for clarity:
I used to feel things more when I was younger. It never worked well. I do have some friends, but there's always a disconnect.
When I figure out who I am a little more I will venture outside of the people I know and see if there's a place I belong, but where I am now is not that place.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2021, 3:24 am

Yesterday, I decided to go for a ride in just the right direction at just the right time to have a road-side visit with my friend, who was running a quick errand. Something like this seems to happen at least once a year. The odds on direction were 4:1, and on the time, about 25:1. So, a 1% basic chance, and I hadn't planned to go out, but then decided it was just barely warm enough.