Have your sensory issues changed over time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

S-P-M-E
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Mar 2021, 10:16 pm

I'm 50-something, and my touch-related sensory issues, such as anything hot or wool, are unchanged since my earliest childhood memories, but some of the fragrances and flavors that were just unbearable my whole life have suddenly become perfectly fine for me over the past couple of years. What about you?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 10:21 pm

My sensory issues pretty much stayed the same, or got worse in certain aspects, until I started taking Strattera for ADHD. I used to be very hypersensitive overall, but now I am relatively hyposensitive. I don't really get why Strattera made my sensory issues change that much.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 10:27 pm

My stroke made my SPD much worse, but in general yes my sensitivities got worse over time.

My misophonia and photophobia are pretty much out-of-control now.

I think it's normal that as we age, our nervous / limbic system gets exhausted from so much stressful input.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 10:31 pm

I'm less able to handle loud noise and strobe lights than I was when I was younger.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2021, 11:30 pm

Yes.

Sensory seeking of various senses at childhood.
Seemingly misophonic and overall intolerant at later childhood and early teens -- during puberty.
Then I lost it, drastically improved since.

And recently got this weird auditory processing issues and a bit of photosensitivity... This was since 3+ years of working full time.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 3:21 am

Mine seem to improve slightly sometimes but only when I consume a modified paleo diet.

This is because I have autoimmune issues which can affect my central nervous system and the diet can help with that.

I am not sure they go away completely as my nevous system does not seem to process pain and other sensations in the same way as a neurotypical. There are some types of pain that I am very sensitive to (sensations that would not normally bother an allistic person) and others I don't feel at all but probably should do.

My mum used to say to me when I was growing up 'no sense no feeling'. lol lovely

She also kept saying 'simple things amuse simple minds' but thats because I had/have a weird sense of humour.

The sayings I heard growing up:

'The lights are on but no one's home'
'She is away with the fairies again'
'She is a sandwich short of a picnic'
'Can you stop going all the way around the mulberry bush and get to the point please'

It was a learning experience as if you did not learn what these sayings meant you would never have been able to follow a conversation in my family.

But yes, my sensitivities can alter and fluctuate a bit over time but only when I make certain lifestyle changes.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 5:57 am

most have remained the same for me. Sometimes my struggles and sensitivities seem to ebb and flow and depend on my emotional state or other factors that I have not been able to understand. I have not lost any struggles nor have I gained new ones, I think my neurology "underneath' circumstances stays pretty much the same (so far, I will be 70 this year).

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 12:06 pm

For me it's hard to tell if my sensory issues themselves have changed or just my reaction or coping has changed. During childhood I wasn't aware of my sensory issues and so I would deal with a greater range of sensory experiences in the moment but I was really just bottling it up which resulted in meltdowns later. Now I notice more the effects of it in the moment so I might avoid situations that in the past I didn't avoid.

It also changes with my mental health. If I am more anxious my body is in fight or flight mode more. This causes my senses to become heightened which naturally makes me to be more hypersensitive.

There are some sensory things that I've become more accustomed to over time and bother me less than they used to. For example, I can cope a bit better with traffic sound than I could when I first moved to the city 2 years ago. It still can send me into sensory overload, but I don't need to use my earmuffs as much as I used to.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2021, 12:09 pm

I think that my sensory issues are about the same, but that my ability to deal with them has improved.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.