Congratulations! You have a neurodevelopmental disorder

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 1:18 am

The thread title is a joke.

But seriously, doesn't it seem weird to congratulate someone for being diagnosed with autism?

Being diagnosed is not really a good thing. It's a neutral thing at best, assuming the diagnosis is accurate. It can help people get good things, like better medical treatment or accommodations, but the diagnosis itself isn't really particularly positive.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2021, 1:27 am

I am far too new here to have meaningful input, so keep that in mind. However, I suppose it depends on perspective. Getting a diagnosis can lead to access of much needed tools, assistance, and help. That is good. It can also have obvious negative connotations, especially in a world where neurotypicals run everything and things are viewed from that perspective. It doesn't really change much for a person who isn't NT; they will still be who they are before and after.

The one thing it might help with is understanding. If you do not know you have a Neurodevelopmental Disorder, but have experiences that seem very off to you, and you do not know why, having a diagnosis can resolve the need for peace of mind. It may not mean much in the grand scheme of things, but it can help.

Some people may not have similar views, especially with the stigma that comes from all of this. For some it may be a very negative experience. So it really depends on who is looking at it.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2021, 2:09 am

To everyone who can help my situation...

Exactly what can you get and how to get help?

What specifically can you get help with?

Better things? Like what?

Including accommodation in the U.K.?

Is it possible to move to another English speaking country and get these things?

I have been Diagnosed Aspergers years ago and am not in a good place.

Last edited by Technic1 on 24 Apr 2021, 3:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 2:18 am

Technic1 wrote:
Exactly what can you get (and how to get) help (for what specifically?) better things and/including accommodation in the U.K.?

Or if possible to move to another English speaking country?

Are you talking to me? I don't understand your questions.

Something Profound wrote:
Getting a diagnosis can lead to access of much needed tools, assistance, and help.

Yeah I mentioned that.

Quote:
It can also have obvious negative connotations,

Well that's down to people having negative opinions of autism. That doesn't make the diagnosis itself bad; it's the opinions that are negative.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 2:19 am

Quote:
especially in a world where neurotypicals run everything and things are viewed from that perspective.

Non-neurotypical people have to deal with a neurotypical world regardless of whether they are diagnosed. Navigating a neurotypical world has nothing to do with whether a diagnosis itself is positive or negative.

Quote:
It doesn't really change much for a person who isn't NT; they will still be who they are before and after.

It could make a difference if that person got misdiagnosed.

Quote:
The one thing it might help with is understanding. If you do not know you have a Neurodevelopmental Disorder, but have experiences that seem very off to you, and you do not know why, having a diagnosis can resolve the need for peace of mind.

I don't see how someone so lacking in insight that she cannot see why she is having "off" experiences would gain any understanding autism diagnosis.

Say, for example, that someone keeps getting misunderstood in conversations and doesn't know why. How does the autism diagnosis help her? She doesn't know whether she's talking oddly because of autism, or maybe the people she's talking to have language disorders, or maybe they are just gaslighting her, or maybe she grew up in a weird household where she learned to speak differently. The autism diagnosis doesn't give her an answer. People can't just assume that all their weird experiences are a result of being autistic.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2021, 3:06 am

Yes.

Please reread I have edited my post!

starkid wrote:
Technic1 wrote:
Exactly what can you get (and how to get) help (for what specifically?) better things and/including accommodation in the U.K.?

Or if possible to move to another English speaking country?

Are you talking to me? I don't understand your questions.

Something Profound wrote:
Getting a diagnosis can lead to access of much needed tools, assistance, and help.

Yeah I mentioned that.

Quote:
It can also have obvious negative connotations,

Well that's down to people having negative opinions of autism. That doesn't make the diagnosis itself bad; it's the opinions that are negative.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 3:48 am

starkid wrote:
The thread title is a joke.

But seriously, doesn't it seem weird to congratulate someone for being diagnosed with autism?

Being diagnosed is not really a good thing. It's a neutral thing at best, assuming the diagnosis is accurate. It can help people get good things, like better medical treatment or accommodations, but the diagnosis itself isn't really particularly positive.

Having any disability is not a good thing and using silly positive language unless it’s a sarcastic joke is misplaced.

In the absence of good treatments however many advocates have decided to create a whole alt reality for themselves and autism in general.

You can’t really blame them sometimes it’s human nature to do this, atheists will claim religion was created as a way for humans to cope with death.

- George Bernie Shaw

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2021, 7:26 pm

If you have been struggling for decades, undiagnosed, not knowing why you have been struggling, or thinking that your problems are all character flaws and thinking you are the only one weird in this way getting the diagnosis that explains a lot can be a big step forward. That is worth ongratulations. Also for some demographics getting a diagnosis takes a lot of persistence. Overcoming many obstacles to get the diagnosis is worth congratulations.

I congratulate a newly diagnosed person if they are obviously happy or relieved about it. If not I just tell them I wish the diagnoses will be helpful for them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman