Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:04 am

I've always been lucky with anaesthetic, after I've got over the sleeping part, it just makes me feel happy, giggly, drunk. I've always had a very strong respiratory system, however.

I hear some people get really ill after anaesthetic. I wondered if there is a general autistic reaction to it, I mean do we all have the same reaction?

Last edited by KitLily on 26 Jun 2023, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:32 am

It just makes me drowsy until I'm completely out of it until they wake me up, then I'm just groggy and sleepy for a while.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 1:48 pm

Yes, sorry I meant after the sleepy part. I've edited it now :)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 1:53 pm

I don't have a problem with it apart from wishing the sleepiness would last longer than it does. I usually wake up cold and shivering but that's normal after an operation.

I have difficulty with laughing gas (nitrous oxide) because of a genetic condition where I can't metabolise it. It stays in my bloodstream and can make me pass out or get really sick. Some people with my condition can die from it.

I have a sleep disorder like apnea so it's important that doctors get my anaesthesia right especially if I'll be under for a long time. I've had operations that were up to eight hours long but I'm lucky I haven't had a problem.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:29 pm

KitLily wrote:
I've always been lucky with anaesthetic, after I've got over the sleeping part, it just makes me feel happy, giggly, drunk. I've always had a very strong respiratory system, however.

I hear some people get really ill after anaesthetic. I wondered if there is a general autistic reaction to it, I mean do we all have the same reaction?
I don't have any problems with it.

Wreck It Ralph

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:40 pm

To me, it was always just numbness for a few hours. No real reaction.

Root canals were the only procedure I've had that required anesthesia.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 2:35 am

Gosh Isabella that does sound worrying about the laughing gas!

It seems so far we don't have problems with it. I've heard of people throwing up and all sorts of terrible reactions to anaesthetic.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 5:06 am

I don't know. This worries me a bit. I never needed any in 51 years. Still got all my wisdom teeth and I gave births naturally. I hope I'm not allergic or anything.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 6:18 am

Only been under general anesthetic once. Didn't have any issues with it. I don't like the local anesthetic that the dentists use, to the extent that I've had my teeth drilled without it on occasion. But my body tolerates it okay.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 7:25 am

It depends on the type of anesthetic. Novocaine doesn't do anything to me, but I've never had any issues with general anesthetics for surgical procedures. The last operation I had was relatively smooth - I fell asleep in my hospital room. had the surgery, and woke up in my room. I wasn't even sure that I had been operated on at all at first.

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 7:35 am

I've only been "put under" once and it went fine. I've had localized anesthetic at the dentist and that also went okay.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 8:01 am

It makes me really nauseous and throw up when I wake up from it. It tends to last for hours, too.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 10:44 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
It makes me really nauseous and throw up when I wake up from it. It tends to last for hours, too.

That's horrible for you, sorry to hear that. It must make it more worrying to face operations.

This is the reaction I was talking about that some people get from anaesthetic, I've heard of it happening. I wondered how common it was in autistic people, as opposed to the 'happy and drunk' effect I get.

It is surprising for me because usually any type of drug affects me much more strongly than other people and I have to have a smaller dose. I'm sensitive to absolutely everything. Except anaesthetic, it seems!

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 11:48 am

I've only had localized anathethic injected on my teeth.

... I may or may not need more than usually given. Or something else entirely, that may not be the case.

Because I usually feel through the numbness.

And it doesn't matter which source the numbness happened through; whether it's through drugs or a physiological phenomena -- I always feel a something if it's touched or moved, even if I feel signals doesn't go there.

Afterwards? Nothing. Nothing special.

Never had been put under myself.

Though I'm curious since drowse meds and sleep aides doesn't seem to work really well with me except make me skip into a form of restless fatigue than actual sleepiness, nor actually put me into a relaxed state -- in which are all very different things that just happens to me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 11:53 am

KitLily wrote:
It is surprising for me because usually any type of drug affects me much more strongly than other people and I have to have a smaller dose.

My partner is like that. Doctors never believe us when we tell them to give her less of everything than most people need and it always causes problems when they don't listen.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 2:06 pm

In 2020 I had open-heart surgery, followed later the same day with emergency heart surgery (there had been complications). All-in-all they kept me unconscious for 32 hours.

The anesthesia did not bother me. I transitioned from pre-surgery to post-surgery so cleanly I had no idea that I had been unconscious for more than the planned 8 hours...heck, based upon how I experienced it, I would have easily believed I was unconscious for less than one hour!

The air hose did bother me! My bride (who stayed with me the whole time!) says a few times, even though I was unconscious, it appeared I was trying to get my hand to the air hose. Apparently I am a well-trained husband, though. When I started moving my hands like that she'd tell me to put my hands down, and even though I was unconscious, I did what she said.