Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Noam1515
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2021, 3:10 am

Hi everyone, sorry for coming in here out of nowhere. I havent been around for a long time, but recently had the urge to write on the forums.
Well, you see... honestly my main problem isnt just the symptoms I have to deal with about the Asperger's Syndrome I have. Even though the symptoms are getting better, and I became a much more social person than I was in the past, there are still symptoms that exist and get in my way and cause me to fail in a number of things in generally.
However, my biggest question right now is, how should I know to decide when to share the fact I have this disability, and when to hide it from other people?
When its family and close friends, it becomes more confusing because they are people I know well and I know they wouldnt try to hurt me if I tell them about it. But if its a stranger, I'd imagine its not a good idea to tell them unless they're really trying to help me out with something.
But generally, whats the best way to decide when to share it or hide it? Sometimes I'm not sure what to do, and I just dont want the wrong people to know about it.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 6:26 am

Since most people are not familiar with Aspergers or ASD, they will make assumptions that may not be that helpful and can even become obstacles. It might be better not to even use the terms but rather describe your condition in terms of idiosyncrasy.

If you say "Sorry, about my reflex, but i am really sensitive to touch", it may garner better understanding than using a classification label that is poorly understood.

In this way you only share as much as needed.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

15 Sep 2021, 9:03 am

It’s a hard question to answer, because there is no best way to go about it. You just have to make a judgment call on each individual, separate occasion and/or situation.

I personally don’t talk about it unless I know for sure the audience I’m interacting with has a neurodiverse profile.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 9:14 am

There's no purpose in "disclosing" that you have an Autism Spectrum Disorder unless it's advantageous to you in some way, or if you become very close with someone.

Just like one wouldn't go around telling everyone they have prostate cancer. One would only tell close friends and family.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm

You can probably assume that someone you choose to disclose to might not know much about the Autism Spectrum. I didn't, until 2019...the year I was diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild). Before 2019 I really didn't know anything about it and--due to my uninformed misconceptions--would've rejected any suggestion that I might be Autistic.

So, I'm guessing here but I suspect that whenever you disclose you should also be prepared to educate.