Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2021, 10:00 pm

Is anyone else super klutzy, like tripping over their own feet, falling up the stairs, and things like that, misjudging distances, unable to touch your pointer fingers to each other without paying close attention to them, missing the chair just slightly when not focused on where you're sitting? I also have a really hard time knowing how big of a container to put the leftovers in or how big of a bag to put my clothes in for a trip. As a child my parents called me Fumblebutt, mom put me in dance classes to try and help, but it didn't help much. I can't clap a gnat between my hands because my hands mostly miss each other. When I'm out hiking in the woods, I have to watch where each step is going or I trip, while he just keeps a mental idea of where rocks and branches are and avoids them.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2021, 10:14 pm

Yeah. My brother called me klutzomatic. :D I'm always running into things, cutting myself or end up with random bruises. Marital arts did help though. I was in mixed martial arts for over a decade and this definitely helped with my eye hand coordination and sense of balance etc. I'm not as bad as I used to be.

Not sure if you're looking for advice or not. If not ignore the rest :D , if so:

I would try something like tai chi if you're looking for something to help the situation. It helps with learning your center of gravity/ balance and to be more aware of your surroundings in a calm focused manner. Thats what worked for me.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2021, 11:51 pm

Only in state of inattention, fatigue, confusion, overstimulation, involving uncontrollable emotions and unbearable sensations.

Being and acting clumsy isn't natural to me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 12:30 am

I'm very clumsy and uncoordinated. I'm always bumping into things.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2021, 4:57 pm

the Dr who gave me my diagnosis said that it is very common for autistic people to have trouble with "proprioception".

This is a sense which helps us understand where our bodies and body parts are in time and space. I have always said I had trouble with depth perception and balance.. I said that to him and he corrected me, saying no, it is problems with proprioception. and he counted it as one more way he knew I was/am autistic .

I have to touch things to keep from running into them, I touch the wall when walking down the hall, hold the railing going down the stairs carefully to keep from pitching forward into space, and must watch carefully where I put my feet.
I am constantly running my toes into furniture or stumbling as I walk on seemingly even surfaces.
I spent time learning about all the ways people's neurology gives them problems with proprioception.

So interesting, and so me! LOL Occupational therapists can help some of our troubles with special exercises to focus on specific issues. If this causes injury or other struggles constantly you may be able to get therapy to help with the worst problems. I found some exercises online which have helped with some of my problems, but I must do them constantly, it is not a thing that I can do for a while, then let go and expect to "do better" from then on.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2021, 5:54 pm

autisticelders wrote:
the Dr who gave me my diagnosis said that it is very common for autistic people to have trouble with "proprioception".

This is a sense which helps us understand where our bodies and body parts are in time and space. I have always said I had trouble with depth perception and balance.. I said that to him and he corrected me, saying no, it is problems with proprioception. and he counted it as one more way he knew I was/am autistic .

I have to touch things to keep from running into them, I touch the wall when walking down the hall, hold the railing going down the stairs carefully to keep from pitching forward into space, and must watch carefully where I put my feet.
I am constantly running my toes into furniture or stumbling as I walk on seemingly even surfaces.
I spent time learning about all the ways people's neurology gives them problems with proprioception.

So interesting, and so me! LOL Occupational therapists can help some of our troubles with special exercises to focus on specific issues. If this causes injury or other struggles constantly you may be able to get therapy to help with the worst problems. I found some exercises online which have helped with some of my problems, but I must do them constantly, it is not a thing that I can do for a while, then let go and expect to "do better" from then on.

:o :o :o YES!! ! I hold on to railings, touch the wall, at 3-4am when hubby gets up to go pee, I go with him so I can hold on to him otherwise I'll run into the wall (which is cold and not pleasant to touch.) I'm actually in process of making myself a walking stick since I've started taking regular walks. I'm hoping that it will help me feel more stable and not look like a drunk or fall.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 6:29 pm

Falling UP the stairs is much better than falling DOWN the stairs.

I once fell UP the stairs, and caused a gash on my forehead; the cops were thinking about sending me to the hospital.

Imagine if I had fallen DOWN the stairs? LOL