Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 7:14 pm

How do you differentiate between Autism Spectrum Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder?

I have a theory that some symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorder can include Delusion of grandeur depending on the restricted interests in specific situations, but it is temporary. While symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder include Delusion of grandeur, based on power, identity, success, intelligence, beauty and power that lasts for more than three months and it is chronic.

I hope you found my question and theory informative.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 8:43 pm

My guess would be that they are complete oposites.
NPD. Knows very little, but is good at convincing people that they are experts in everything, and they believe they are.
ASD. Knows a lot in a narrow field, but is not good at convincing others, and perhaps doesn't know how good they are "the more you know the more you understand how little you know."
NPD. Does a sloppy job, just what's seen is important.
ASD. Makes sure every detail is perfect. Even if it's never going to be seen.
NPD. "Knows" everything.
ASD. Has little knowlege of things that are not a special interest.
NPD. Does it for money and power, and to belittle others.
ASD. Does it to gain more knowlege, and for their amusement.

But what do I know, I've only met a couple of NPDs.

/Mats

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2021, 9:14 pm

That is so true!

Thank you! I feel even more educated about Autism Spectrum Disorder.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 9:54 am

Is it normal for me to feel like I am better than everyone else based on my restricted interests?

I am worried that I have some traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder with symptoms of ASD.

I have believes that I am better than everyone else, based on my restricted interests as I pointed out to my question above.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 1:45 pm

^
I've no idea whether you have NPD or not, but I doubt that simply seeing yourself as better than others is abnormal. It seems that it's normal and human to irrationally cling to the notion that we're "good," which seems to be meaningless if it isn't comparative, so if I say I'm "good" then I'm also implying that others aren't so good as I am. I'd actually go further and say that the whole idea of labelling self or others as good or bad is pretty meaningless - what do we mean by "good" except "that which I personally like or approve of?" But that's by the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-affirmation#Overview

As far as I can figure out, a narcissist is typically quite skilled at manipulating people and has little compassion, being solely concerned with his / her own status and happiness. An Aspie may typically be self-centred (which is different from being selfish) but has difficulty understanding the feelings of others even though he / she has no particular shortage of compassion, and the result is that the Aspie might well seem narcissistic superficially, but essentially isn't. Aspies usually lack the "people skills" necessary to manipulate others. I'm not a psychiatrist so that's all just my own lay opinion on the matter, though having thought about it quite carefully I've not been able to knock any holes in it.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 2:11 pm

Thank you!

I can lie and manipulate others, but I sometimes fail at doing that, because I have milder issues with social skills.

I do have some symptoms of Conduct Disorder Unspecified, alongside with Bipolar 1 Disorder, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder and Learning Disorders mixed together. And I sometimes get confused, because all my symptoms of these disorders mixes together.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 2:51 pm

^
Mixtures of different "disorders" would naturally be hard to resolve into the desired boxes. If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it much. The boundaries of the definitions could change over time as "progress" is made in the diagnostic profession, and even different diagnosticians can have different opinions about what a given client has. I'm always saying on WP that I feel on stronger ground if I just stick to looking at individual traits, strengths and weaknesses. When I've felt seriously threatened, I've been able to deceive the threatener sometimes. I don't see myself as an expert in that art, though it does seem odd that I can do it at all. I don't think that disqualifies me from my Aspie label, because my skills there aren't what you'd call extensive, and there are so many other traits that match the diagnosis well. And if I were re-assessed and they said I didn't score enough points to make me an Aspie, it wouldn't really change anything. I still have the same traits, the same personality as I did before.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2021, 5:11 pm

Thank you! I understood.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 5:22 am

Narcissistic are generally disagreeable people, they know what they do is disagreeable to others but don't consider others feelings as important, but aspies are more likely to be accidentally disagreeable

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2021, 10:03 am

Thank you! I understood.