A very interesting "condition" - Hyperekplexia

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 10:06 pm

There is a rare "condition" in southeast Asia called Latah.

People with it are very easily startled by loud sudden noises. As a result they immediately go into fits of Swearing/Profanity, convulsions and a trance-like state.

However, in Malaysia, rather than being seen as a condition that needs diagnosing or medicating, Latahs are.... "accepted, even celebrated, for their oddity".

It is caused by an exaggerated startle reflex (Hyperekplexia). Its also known as a culture bound syndrome, as the culture interprets whether it is a disorder or not. In this case, in Malaysia, it isn't a disorder. Also, it is alleged to occur Asperger's Syndrome too.

Nice parallel with Asperger's; is AS and Latah a "disorder" or a personality variations? Culture decides what is "normal". Does Latah even exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperekplexia

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 10:29 pm

There have been studies that show brain differences in people with As. Also, I've read something about lacking mirror neurons and also some kind of protein in blood. I don't know if they are proven or not but I don't think that AS is just personality variations. I think there's a real physical reason.

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 10:37 pm

Interesting article. My husband gets a kick out of my hyper startle reflex. Not that he tries to startle me, but it happens often, and then he laughs. The housekeeper, on the other hand, croons in her romanian accent, No, you should not be afraid! and for the five hundredth time I tell her I am not afraid.
What I do is jump with my arms flung back and/or convulse briefly. I never go into a trance. And I shout. And then I laugh at the absurdity.

Tesseract
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2007, 3:23 am

Reminds me of the OCD 'Godspoken' from the Ender Saga....

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 3:59 am

When I was an undergrad I took anthropology and my professor talked about Latah is SE Asia. Yes, I recognized a (perhaps?) correlation. But, my professor said those w/ Latah were also 'mildly mentally ret*d, at least.' My professor is/was certainly could have his details wrong....unknown. (Aspies surely are not mentally ret*d)! That's really all I know of Latah though.......

I'll look at your links - thanks. And, good catch on that possible cultural correlation. Separately, I'm quite 'high-strung,' the nervous type, so I would probably be considered partly Latah if I lived in that culture too.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 6:28 am

Labpet is right, but BESIDES..... What you describe is NOT an AS symptom, but an AUTISTIC one! SURE, AS people are autistic and thus have the symptom, but isn't it silly to say they must have AS because they have an AUTISTIC symptom? WHO KNOWS? Maybe they ARE autistic. They may also just be overreacting because of abuse!

Why do people say "OH, AS people have this problem. This person has that problem. They must have AS!"? That is like saying "Cats have tails! This animal has a tail. This animal must be a cat!"!