Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Rawlinsonx8
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2022, 3:50 pm

Hello everybody i'm kind of curious i hope its cool to ask here i got diagnosed with ADHD awhile ago and OCD Anxiety And Depression for long time i have used a dummy/pacifier/binky/soother to help me it helps me feel calm and relaxed and chilled out few days ago I found out i got Autism to i have been wondering could me using a dummy be caused by my Autism or something else cause like getting this diagnosis although i was really sure i had autism it is still a shock and i have been questioning a lot of things tbh i probably shouldn't but yeah XD but i think when i have meltdowns before the diagnosis i thought i was just being nasty but thinking on it it seems like i was having a meltdown and using my dummy helped to calm me down best way i can put it lolll but i am curious if it cause of my Autism I have one and i'm curious if anyone else uses one cause i'm not sure if its to like common past the 'official age' tyy guys :)

Last edited by Rawlinsonx8 on 12 Mar 2022, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 4:00 pm

Maybe it's an oral stim for you? I don't use things like that, but I like to chew on things to stim.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 4:31 pm

You should use the word "pacifier" here otherwise the American members won't understand.

I don't think using a pacifier after the 'official age' causes autism, as it's something one is born with. I think parents letting their kids use a pacifier after the age of 3, or breastfeeding their kids after the age of about 1, can make the kids more spoilt or clingy or needy and can affect some of their development, but not cause autism.

Autism is just something you were born with but didn't know you had until recently. ADHD, anxiety and depression can share similar traits of autism.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 4:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
You should use the word "pacifier" here otherwise the American members won't understand.

Thanks for explaining this. :D

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 4:59 pm

In Canada it's called a "soother", but I call it a pacifier, anyway. Americans also call it a "binky", which to me sounds like it could be any kind of a object a small child uses for security, like a blanket or a teddy bear. Those are informal names for a pacifier, anyway.

I've seen TV shows like "Supernanny" where the kids are too old to be using pacifiers and are unhealthily attached to them. The parents basically let them use them because it keeps them quiet. Dentists would especially never recommend this.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 5:06 pm

If your meaning of the word "dummy" is a pacifier, No I stopped using them around the age of 3.

If your meaning of the word "dummy" is a toy character. Well YES. When I was growing up I had a Howdy Doody Ventriloquist Dummy that I played with and enjoyed. It allowed me to project other versions of me and it was fun. I would strongly encourage any young Aspie to try it. It is great for enhancing your communication skills.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 5:19 pm

How would using a dummy possibly cause autism? More likely to just be a sign you already were autistic, resistance to change and oral stimming would both account for a kid using a dummy longer than usual.

turnleftaticela
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2022, 5:38 pm

I think you meant to say “because” of your autism, not “be cause” of your autism, right?

If that’s the case, then yeah, I think it could definitely be an autistic thing! Like others have said, it’s probably an oral stim, and it could be a comfort item as well.

Personally, I think the latter aspect is what would separate it from being just an ADHD characteristic (since people with ADHD stim, too) — most people don’t use pacifiers as they get older, and it’s a fairly common autistic behavior to use items from childhood long past what would be considered “normal.” We like consistency and we tend to develop an empathy for inanimate objects more than others might, in addition to having a lack of awareness of or a disregard for social norms.

I don’t use a pacifier myself, but I do carry around with me a stuffed animal that I’ve had since I was a kid and take a lot of comfort in it. So I feel you on that.

Rawlinsonx8
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2022, 7:41 pm

Hello yes sorry everyone dummy pacifier binky soother i have fixed the orginal post tyy guys

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 9:15 am

I had a dummy bottle until my mum chucked it away when I was 7 or 8