Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2021, 2:44 am

Heh, exactly. Even when NT has no ill intentions, affective empathy still causes troubles due to incompatible models.

I'm actually not sure how to deal with that. I enjoy empathy, I like being vulnerable in safe environment, but human company is very far from safe environment, so it would be good to turn it off then? But how to do that?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 4:03 am

StrayCat81 wrote:
Heh, exactly. Even when NT has no ill intentions, affective empathy still causes troubles due to incompatible models.

I'm actually not sure how to deal with that. I enjoy empathy, I like being vulnerable in safe environment, but human company is very far from safe environment, so it would be good to turn it off then? But how to do that?

I think there is a progressive move toward creating wider safe spaces for vulnerable people whether they be LGBTQI, disabled, PoC whatever the group. The current hurdle is the backlash against so called "wokeness" but I wont get into that here.

NTs are learning (at least where I live here in Melbourne) to be tolerant, first with women, then PoC/gays and now people with disabilities in the workforce. This is a far cry from the days when nobody would employ a person with autism.

Once upon a time people with autism didn't feel safe leaving the house. Now they are much more confident, independent driving cars, catching public transport and choosing workplaces with safe spaces for people with autism.

You just need to take risks and give NTs the benefit of the doubt.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2021, 4:26 am

Heh, I'm still trying to recover from last risk I took... How many more times do I have to traumatize myself by giving benefit of the doubt before I can find someone who isn't bad for my mental health? :3

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:27 am

StrayCat81 wrote:
Heh, I'm still trying to recover from last risk I took... How many more times do I have to traumatize myself by giving benefit of the doubt before I can find someone who isn't bad for my mental health? :3

Yeah I guess that's going to be a factor too. Fair enough. Nothing wrong with being cautious, Whenever you are ready in your own time to try again.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 5:25 am

Main issue is to quickly figure out who is worth the effort. I could try to filter out those that show red flags, so basically everyone who identifies as man, woman, allosexual, or maybe even human... But then there will be no one left except me? Is my destiny to eternally haunt the internet in search of another stray cat? =^..^=

Hmm, I feel like we are derailing the thread a bit, but OP seem to have abandoned it anyway, so, well, thread recycling I guess... :3

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:31 am

StrayCat81 wrote:
Main issue is to quickly figure out who is worth the effort. I could try to filter out those that show red flags, so basically everyone who identifies as man, woman, allosexual, or maybe even human... But then there will be no one left except me? Is my destiny to eternally haunt the internet in search of another stray cat? =^..^=

Hmm, I feel like we are derailing the thread a bit, but OP seem to have abandoned it anyway, so, well, thread recycling I guess... :3

I feel some empathy for your plight if that helps?

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 6:04 am

Ehh, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad, it's not even a big problem, I just find it funny that I end up as a kind of haunting spook... :3

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 8:25 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
We always equate empathy with intense sympathy for some reason. Wouldn't relatability lead to intellectual empathy?

Oh, sorry, I somehow missed it, and I think I can answer. There seem to be different labels for that, cognitive empathy (understanding), and affective empathy (actually feeling it). I'd say the former is more practical, while the latter is more dangerous but can also be fun in certain circumstances.