Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jul 2007, 6:54 am

I don't understand the question.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 7:13 am

My inability to understand non-verbal communication or informal scial hierarchies. Plus I think that I give off the wrong non-verbal signals which sends NT's into a rage.

coolstertothecore
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2007, 9:17 am

Definitely insecurity. I spent a lot of time thinking about the possible bad consequences of interacting with people and therefore very rarely do.

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 8:55 am

Pretty much 1 and 3.
I have embarrassing facial twitches when I look anyone in the eye, I become very paranoid around other people (I never know if they're just gonna turn on me all the sudden or not), I don't respond to anything with enthusiasm (my main responses are "yeah", "mm" or "mm hmm", I always feel that I've said the wrong thing, and there's the possibility that I'm agoraphobic.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 9:02 am

Lacking self-confidence, not knowing what to say, finding it almost impossible to initiate conversations, not "getting" jokes straight away, saying things that other people find "weird" but I can't see anything wrong with, being very easily hurt; are the main obstacles I face.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 10:51 am

do you simply mean disinterest in friends... or a disinterest in doing the things you have to do to make/keep friends?

im the latter of the two

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 4:42 am

More the latter: I don't really understand all the things that are needed to keep friends but at the same time, I would like to have a few friends.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

bc1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2007, 5:01 am

angelene wrote:
hmm. i'll go with OTHER...

i have no problem standing in a crowd of others...but i think my worst problem is having nothing to say that the others would care about. i've learned for the most part just to not talk about my personal obsessions.

that's what gets me. it doesn't hurt me too much, though. people have learned that on the rare occasion that i do speak, it's always interesting, entertaining, or informative, and look forward to it (i've been told this on numerous occasions). the only drawback is that it generally takes folks a long time to get to know me. a plus is that often, people will like me a LOT after one meeting because of something i've said (i once made top 3 out of 300+ myspace friends after one conversation).

bc1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2007, 5:02 am

WOW that last post was arrogant! 8O :lol:

camembert

24 Jul 2007, 6:28 am

Do you think people who have been blind since birth worry about the colour of objects ?
:lol:

zee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 7:42 am

My biggest concern is I have nothing to offer people in return. I can talk to people initially, but I can't develop friendships as I have nothing to give them, and I don't have interesting events in my day-to-day life that are worth talking about. So there's nothing to grow on... and other people don't have the same goals and things to look forward to as I do. As in, most people have plans for the future and projects they're involved in, whereas I'm just floating meaninglessly through space, with no past and no future.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 7:44 am

zee wrote:
My biggest concern is I have nothing to offer people in return. I can talk to people initially, but I can't develop friendships as I have nothing to give them, and I don't have interesting events in my day-to-day life that are worth talking about.

Oh dear! That's just what I feel a lot of the time, too.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

zee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 7:50 am

Pandora wrote:
zee wrote:
My biggest concern is I have nothing to offer people in return. I can talk to people initially, but I can't develop friendships as I have nothing to give them, and I don't have interesting events in my day-to-day life that are worth talking about.

Oh dear! That's just what I feel a lot of the time, too.

I sometimes wonder if things would be different if we lived in a more archaic society... If there was more time devoted to working, especially in a community-based environment, and less time to stand around and talk, would things be different? Would we feel more accepted just knowing we were doing our part, and had our place in the world? Is that why AS is more prevalent today than it was 100 years ago?

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 7:53 am

I think so. Like any other minority group, we are often marginalised in today's society.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 8:52 am

Shyness, nervousness, and an inability to just talk about nothing. I also dislike large crowds. They make me feel claustrophobic.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 8:55 am

All of them except the insecurity, I think. If I had to pick the most important, it would be disinterest in friends.