Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 1:35 pm

Greentea wrote:
I'm 45 and as time goes by it's harder and harder to make friends. You give me hope, faith.

I'm glad I can at least give hope (I used to believe I didn't have anything of worth to give others, but now I'm learning otherwise.). :lol:

It definitely gets harder to make friends with age, BUT... 2 things are good to keep in mind:

1. You only fail when you quit trying to succeed.

2. The longer you have to wait for something, the more you appreciate it when it finally comes!

I can't recommend an adult aspie support group enough! No one in my group has appeared to be judgmental of anyone else (they're all understanding and accepting of others there). I'm fortunate to have one close by. If I didn't have one nearby, I would consider starting one. GRASP.org offers help for people who are interested in creating one.

I cannot imagine an aspie not being able to make a friend in an aspie support group.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 1:53 pm

I'll check to see if there's one in my community. Trying to organize one would be good, but I'm afraid not many aspie adults know they have Asperger's around here. Frankly, I think this is my last try, because apart from it I've tried everything there is with no success whatsoever...

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 1:59 pm

I have somewhat made friends this semester, but it is odd. I think I figured it out somewhat-I want friends, but when I think of the word friends, certain responsibilities come up with it. I just can't keep up 100% with it most of the time. I don't always want to be the person they come to when they have a problem, I don't always want to have to explain mine, and I most certainly could care less about their love lives the majority of the time unless they really do want a reason. I don't mind talking about stuff like that on the comp, as I have time to think out my reasons, etc., and I cannot actually see the person the majority of the time to see if it is being taken seriously or not.

I get frustrated with people in general once I make friends also-they are social, I am not. I can be on occasion, but it's based on when I want to be. One day they can tell me all of their problems and I will listen attentively, but have no advice or whatnot to offer, and I can't relate so I just sit there listening... other times I have ideas of what should be done, etc.

Maintaining friendships for me is very overwhelming. I always feel there is more I should be doing and all, and I just get burnt out... besides that, it doesn't matter how good of friends I have, I always feel detached from them, and that hinders it as well.

I'm my own guinea pig.