Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:05 pm

in the res. home am live in,one of the others who lives there supposedly has asthma.
they have always refused allowing am to get a cat,saying the other lady here has asthma.
Am look after a stray cat who lives in the hedge opposite,ever since am moved in and called him Fluffybum,but would like to have a pet with am in room.
so,the point to writing this was,if someone who has asthma can possibly be set off by cats [don't know in what way] does that mean they would be set off by dogs to?

also the staff allow her to stroke fluffybum,and she has no problems,does that mean her asthma cannot be set off by cats?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 2:25 pm

Asthma can be triggered by allergies, but not everyone is allergic to the same things. If she knows she is allergic to cats, than it could trigger an asthma attack, but not necessarily. I mean that should be in her medical history.
The same goes for dogs, which are different than cats. My son is allergic to cats but not dogs. He gets a rash and may eventually start wheezing. But after he is away from the cat, it all goes away.

Unless he is close to someone who has a lot of cat hair on them (unclean cat owner), he's fine because he won't pet a cat.

My mother in law is asthmatic and purposefully limited her environment, saying it all made her have an attack. She had her own dog but refused to let her son have one, saying she was allergic. She was mean and selfish and used her asthma to get her way. Someone at the home may be using asthma as an excuse to keep pets out.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 3:49 pm

It is difficult to say, like KimJ says, people's allergies are triggered by different things. Or they can be triggered by multiple things. I am alergic to pretty much all animal fur, but even I can be around cats, dogs etc. as long as I only have limited exposure to them and don't get too close or touch them.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

22 Jul 2007, 3:52 pm

KimJ wrote:
Unless he is close to someone who has a lot of cat hair on them (unclean cat owner), he's fine because he won't pet a cat.

I have a lot of cat hair on me, but that doesn't mean I'm unclean. :?

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 4:56 pm

I referred to a specific person who was unclean with cat hair all over her. It's one thing to have cat hair around your house or when the cat is on you. But another when you're teaching school and have enough cat hair and oil to set off an allergic reaction on a student.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2007, 9:18 pm

The recent ScienceNews had an article saying that cat dander can actually act to make other allergies worse, whether someone is specifically allergic to cats or not.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2007, 5:31 pm

I have asthma, I have three cats, I'm allergic to them, and I'm allergic to dogs too. I know they make my asthma worse, but for me it isn't unbearable-- though that's not to say it'll be the same for your roommate.

If you really want to get a cat, I'd recommend getting a Rex or a Sphinx. Those are usually the cats people look to getting when they have allergies. Though they are purebreds and may be a bit expensive.

The Sphynx has the least hair, and then there's the Rexes (Devon and Cornish) who have a little more hair. You can look some pictures up on Google or something.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Jul 2007, 10:44 pm

i have a penicilian and respirdal alergies but what is it exactly like to be allergic to pet hair? is it the same as drug alergies?

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 9:50 pm

I had it but grew out of it.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 8:26 am

thanks everyone,will show the staff this thread.