Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2021, 10:47 am

Has anyone who's been assessed, but told they don't have autism/told they won't be given a diagnosis, later realized that some aspects of their assessment(s) were weird?

I've been thinking about my assessments lately and about how some aspects of them were odd. Like, when I was tested as a kid at the same place as my brother, the way we were assessed was relatively different. His test was done more thoroughly by multiple people, mine was only done by one person for an apparently shorter duration of time, according to my mother (he had to come back multiple days, I only went there once).

During the same assessment they had me play with other kids, but kind of kept coaching me to do so when I avoided the other kids, which I feel like should be a huge no-no when assessing kids for autism? They later said that I didn't have issues playing with other kids.

At my most recent one at 16 the assessor didn't really even focus on my issues with socialization, sensory issues, etc. when she talked with me and my mom. I honestly think that she had already decided that I just had ADHD instead of ASD.

Has anyone else experienced some odd things during their assessments?