Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 9:02 am

For many adults a diagnoses comes with positive emotions such as relief, now I can be more myself, I am not a lazy bum, drama queen etc. Scorning parents who grieve their children after finding out has been a part of the neurodiversity movement since Jim Sinclair wrote the movements founding document ‘Don’t Mourn For Us’. I have done my part to spread this by posting happy late diagnosis stories. While my motivation has been to spread the idea that being autistic does not mean automatic failure I might also be spreading an idea of how you are supposed to react. There is no right way to react to a late diagnosis, you are the one autistic in the saying “when you have met one autistic you have met one autistic”.

Grief of a late autism diagnosis
Harriet Ring is currently doing her Masters in Media at RMIT, and is a freelance writer and advocate for autistic women like herself from Melbourne/Naarm.

Quote:
This late diagnosis is an all too common story for women on the spectrum, so this diagnosis at 25 was not an anomaly.

What I wasn't prepared for, and what isn't discussed, is the avalanche of emotions that would be at the end of this journey. An unfamiliar territory to me known as grief.

I was grieving 20+ years of being dismissed, gaslit and told I was just "lazy and flaky".

First I felt shock. I was shocked that when I started to tell people, it was met with a undermining "Really?" The formal process I'd gone through still wasn't enough to meet the perceptions made about autism.

Then came anger. In general, being female I am so aware of my anger, never wanting to toe the lines of being a "difficult woman".

But I was angry. I wasn't angry I was autistic. I was angry to still not be taken seriously.

I was grieving knowing that this feeling could've been prevented and acknowledged earlier in my life, that it took an expensive process to not be considered just a "dramatic female".

Followed were the remaining stages of grief — depression, questioning and only recently — acceptance.

One of the ways my diagnosis was determined was by looking at my school reports; to say it was upsetting is an understatement.

The gist of these reports was simply I was a "distraction" that was "clearly struggling" but somehow "doesn't work hard enough".

Reading these, at no point did I see much in the way of a solution and even though I was apparently "failing" I was also a "delight" and "clearly wanting to improve, just doesn't prioritise work".

These reports instantly transported me to those feelings, a written snapshot of a young girl clearly mastering the art of masking.

I'm still rewiring my thought process; reminding myself constantly I wasn't lazy, I was exhausted in a system designed for neurotypical children.

Now at 27, I'm learning to adjust to my sensory needs, but if I had been diagnosed as a younger age then I wouldn't see my meltdowns as just tantrums

Somebody recently said to me "Is autism your identity now?"

I was so shocked I didn't really respond. Since then I've replayed and rehearsed my response. I wish I'd said:
No, but I am in the process of correcting years of self-doubt and now understanding the framework of my existence. I am now expressing myself with the right words and tools. I am able to regulate my emotions and register my sensory needs for the first time, at 27.

The grief has been hard to navigate and I think was amplified in a pandemic, which added to the complexity of trying to find my community and start my "new life", when I couldn't even leave the house. I was instead sitting at home in this deep sense of loss.

Now my life feels split into two categories of "pre-diagnosis" and "post-diagnosis". I think I'll always be grieving that pre-diagnosis little girl.

Thank you Ms. Ring for the reminder. It seems you are going to make a great advocate.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 9:10 am

Quote:
Somebody recently said to me "Is autism your identity now?"

I would have said
"Autism has been my identity since birth. It's who I am. It's what I am. Everything else is build on that foundation".

Thanks for the article.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2021, 9:22 am

It's not grieving the diagnosis.
It's grieving the life before the diagnosis.

It's just like going through the grieving process for having been abused as a child.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 9:29 am

magz wrote:

It's just like going through the grieving process for having been abused as a child.

I agree. As much as it was validating, part of me was very upset that I'd been left 50 years without diagnosis.

I can't blame anyone, and I understand the reasons. I did get a fair amount of support even without diagnosis, but it still forced me to reframe my experiences and see them through a new lens.

Part of me was upset because I realised all the times kids bullied me and treated me like I was different, they definitely had a reason. For years I tried telling myself the bullying / exclusion was all in my imagination or it wasn't really as bad as I thought. Now I know that yes, I was very different. That doesn't excuse the bullying, but still .... it hurt to reflect on all of the examples.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 9:29 am

Here is a link to  "Don't Mourn for Us"  in a downloadable PDF.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2021, 9:48 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
magz wrote:

I agree. As much as it was validating, part of me was very upset that I'd been left 50 years without diagnosis.

I can't blame anyone, and I understand the reasons. I did get a fair amount of support even without diagnosis, but it still forced me to reframe my experiences and see them through a new lens.

Part of me was upset because I realised all the times kids bullied me and treated me like I was different, they definitely had a reason. For years I tried telling myself the bullying / exclusion was all in my imagination or it wasn't really as bad as I thought. Now I know that yes, I was very different. That doesn't excuse the bullying, but still .... it hurt to reflect on all of the examples.

I'd call it self-gaslighting - and I did it too, to the point I was completely confused about what was real and what wasn't.
Learning the words to describe my experiences - especially the term "sensory overload" - and learning to accept my subjective perspective as perfectly valid - that I had a right to feel violated when the uncle tried to make me "his sweet baby" when I was a toddler (nothing sexual, just totally ignoring who I really was) - and that the pattern of denial in my family is the problem, not that I can't navigate it - it all helped me reinterpret my past and understand what was puzzling me for all my life.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 10:12 am

Very well-put, magz. Yes it's self-gaslighting and I'm still prone to it, in my worst moments. I'm sorry it happened to you too. It seems very common for men and women with late diagnosis or late access to descriptive terminology which can make sense of it all. Learning the term and the concept of "sensory overload" was life changing for me. All my life I had no idea what to call it or how to explain it to doctors. I didn't even know that it was connected to the fact I felt so uncomfortable around people, or the fact I had restricted and repetitive interests. I thought it was irrelevant.

In my opinion I was a person with 5,000 disjointed idiosyncrasies too random and scattered to describe. No one told me that I could connect the dots and find one umbrella term of "Autism". When I finally discovered the word, it was such a relief to know I had one issue rather than 5,000 problems, and that there were resources for dealing with it as a whole.

Learning the right terminology (sensory overload, sensory processing, hypo- / hyperstimulation, stims, meltdowns, shutdowns, etc), has helped me make sense of my life and stop the self-gaslighting cycle.

I hope you continue to heal, as well.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2021, 10:46 am

What ever may be the impact-response --- I get it.
I think we all do

As only can we

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 11:21 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
[...] I was a person with 5,000 disjointed idiosyncrasies too random and scattered to describe. No one told me that I could connect the dots and find one umbrella term of "Autism". When I finally discovered the word, it was such a relief to know I had one issue rather than 5,000 problems, and that there were resources for dealing with it as a whole. [...]
Until the official diagnosis, my self-impression was one of a person who missed all the training sessions required to become a certified human being.  Now I know that I am a human being, and one who is simply hard-wired to perceive and process the world differently from others.
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Be healed (of the trauma), but be not "cured" (of who you are).

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Jul 2021, 11:27 am

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
[...] I was a person with 5,000 disjointed idiosyncrasies too random and scattered to describe. No one told me that I could connect the dots and find one umbrella term of "Autism". When I finally discovered the word, it was such a relief to know I had one issue rather than 5,000 problems, and that there were resources for dealing with it as a whole. [...]
Until the official diagnosis, my self-impression was one of a person who missed all the training sessions required to become a certified human being.  Now I know that I am a human being, and one who is simply hard-wired to perceive and process the world differently from others.
In my case, the wall of systematic denial was too confusing. I kept hearing "you're perfectly normal" despite all evidence. Only after meeting the right therapist, I started to sort out what was mental health problems and what was just me being myself.
Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Be healed (of the trauma), but be not "cured" (of who you are).

:D

Wise :heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 11:37 am

Fnord wrote:

Same. As young as three or four years old, I had this vision of babies being assembled on an assembly line. They'd get all their required parts, and the last step was that God would pull a lever and squirt some type of magic elixir into each baby to make it act and feel "human" like all the others. I thought I was missing that squirt.

I can still picture that little assembly line up in the clouds.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2021, 11:42 am

There was definitely a demoralising effect for me when I got diagnosed, though at the time I'd been desperate for something to stave off my employers who were beginning to expect me to do things that an Aspie can't reasonably be expected to do, so initially I mostly felt relief.

I guess it was when I started hearing about how Aspies tend to be seen by society as inferior, and the realisation that outside of a workplace that had a politically-correct mission statement about disability, there wasn't going to be any appreciable help for an adult with ASD. So, for example, when there was pressure for me to attend a gathering or whatever, I could now see a reason why I probably wasn't up to the task, yet I knew it would be pointless to try to use my diagnosis to get them to understand, because so many people can't or won't make allowances for an invisible disability. I suppose before that I'd always thought that I had the option of changing my attitude or something if I ever needed to, but now I could see that I couldn't fix it, that to some extent I was effectively locked out. And that's my grief to live with.

jbmajord
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Jul 2021, 6:16 pm

The knowledge of this would have made my life so different in the '70s. Finding it know has answered so many unknowns for me as well as confirming my wife's thoughts and suspicions.