Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2021
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 26
Location: Victoria Australia

16 Jul 2021, 8:01 pm

Here in Victoria, Australia we are back in Covid lockdown. Personally I find it a wonderful relief. I absolutely LOVE lockdown. It takes all the pressure off me. It feels so freeing and relaxing. I know that no-one can come visit me (not that anyone really does). I don't have to come up with excuses not to go to social events. Not even allowed to go to the big shopping centres and since my hubby works at our local grocery store, I don't really have to leave home at all. I love it.

I do feel guilty for feeling this way, as I know that the majority of people really struggle with lockdown. I saw a very angry social media post this morning talking about how we should not have to take this anymore and as citizens we should revolt. I did respond to the post but quickly deleted it again. People just wouldn't understand how I feel and I would most likely get crucified for my comments (wouldn't be the first time).

It's just that I feel like all the frustration and anger and anxiety that NT's and most people feel during lockdown, is how I feel all the rest of the time, outside of lockdown. Lockdown is the only time I can truly relax and just feel safe.

Is it just me???? Am I the only one who feels this way???


_________________
I AM that I AM. That which I have always been. That which I will always Be.


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,277
Location: UK

16 Jul 2021, 8:15 pm

Why is your country in lockdown? Do you have vaccines there yet? If so, lockdown shouldn't be happening.

I don't feel the same way about you with lockdowns, as I hate living in a dictatorship and not being allowed to see my own family. I don't shop online so I rely on the shops to do any kind of shopping. Lockdowns destroy economies and cause millions of people to lose their jobs and live in poverty. Lockdowns should be a last resort, not a first resort. It seems that nowadays the government just puts everything in lockdown at the drop of a hat, like they're playing some sort of videogame, and forgetting about reality and that not everyone is as rich as them, and children not getting their education properly. If a country has vaccines that are helping decrease hospitalisations and deaths then lockdown should not happen.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,756

16 Jul 2021, 8:16 pm

I've been on lockdown since March, 2020. I love it too. If it weren't for the fact people were sick and dying, or people were losing their businesses / livelihood, I'd love the world to stay like this.

It's like a reset button that most of society has needed for a very long time.



Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2021
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 26
Location: Victoria Australia

16 Jul 2021, 8:21 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've been on lockdown since March, 2020. I love it too. If it weren't for the fact people were sick and dying, or people were losing their businesses / livelihood, I'd love the world to stay like this.

It's like a reset button that most of society has needed for a very long time.


OMG!! I remember saying the exact same thing on social media the first time we went into lockdown, and I got slaughtered for it. It was about the time I quit posting to social media.

I feel like it is a reset button. I feel like it gives people a chance to get back in touch with what is really truly important and leave the BS behind. But people don't see that. Too attached to their BS I guess. Thank you for making me feel like I am not the only weirdo in the world. xxoo


_________________
I AM that I AM. That which I have always been. That which I will always Be.


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,756

16 Jul 2021, 8:28 pm

Joe,

I'm not saying I agree with lockdown laws or the political side of what's going on. That's a whole other issue for me. I'm just saying that I've enjoyed it. I'm agoraphobic and scophophobic, so it's nice to avoid the world and / or hide behind a mask when I have to go out. I like keeping my distance from people without looking cold or arrogant. It's been really quiet at night, the local wildlife is flourishing, and a lot of people have gained the opportunity to work from home. I like the way they're restructuring schools so that kids can do remote learning. I would have LOVED that as a way of avoiding bullies, when I was growing up. So again, I'm not saying it's been the right thing for governments to do -- but in my own way I've found it very relaxing. The only change to my lifestyle is that I went over a year without being allowed in my boyfriend's house. For quite a while we weren't even allowed to see each other outdoors. It's been a wild ride, but it's certainly been a fun challenge.



Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2021
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 26
Location: Victoria Australia

16 Jul 2021, 8:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe,

I'm not saying I agree with lockdown laws or the political side of what's going on. That's a whole other issue for me. I'm just saying that I've enjoyed it. I'm agoraphobic and scophophobic, so it's nice to avoid the world and / or hide behind a mask when I have to go out. I like keeping my distance from people without looking cold or arrogant. It's been really quiet at night, the local wildlife is flourishing, and a lot of people have gained the opportunity to work from home. I like the way they're restructuring schools so that kids can do remote learning. I would have LOVED that as a way of avoiding bullies, when I was growing up. So again, I'm not saying it's been the right thing for governments to do -- but in my own way I've found it very relaxing. The only change to my lifestyle is that I went over a year without being allowed in my boyfriend's house. For quite a while we weren't even allowed to see each other outdoors. It's been a wild ride, but it's certainly been a fun challenge.


THANK YOU SO MUCH!! !! You have articulated what I have been thinking through this whole thing. I certainly didn't want to get into a political discussion either. And yes, people getting sick and dying and business closing is a horrible thing. No argument there.

I also just meant from a personal perspective. I also love how quiet it is. I live in a flight path so it's great to have much fewer planes going over. I love the lack of traffic. I also love that I can hear the wildlife and sounds of nature. My son who lives in another state also loves working from home now. I think he might be Aspie but he's 30 in a couple of weeks and I haven't broached the subject with him. I have been working from home for many years now due to my inability to function in normal society.

And you know that Aspie thing where you don't feel that there is something particularly wrong with you, but everyone else on the planet is cray cray. yeah. That!! ! I think 90% of the populations priorities are screwed up. Covid has given us the gift of being able to address that. But no-one seems to get that.


_________________
I AM that I AM. That which I have always been. That which I will always Be.


Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 21,277
Location: UK

16 Jul 2021, 9:08 pm

I'm sorry, I just can't relate because of all the political side of it is causing me great anxiety. I don't like the thought of the world becoming reliant on the internet instead of going out, and I'm scared that it is heading towards a society with no more shops, schools, banks, or anything at all, because everyone will just be at home staring at screens all day. Horrible. How are children going to learn social skills if they're indoors all day looking at a screen? Utterly absurd.

Sometimes I wish the internet would just disappear. I may not be able to have WP, Facebook or YouTube any more but at least it will bring the communities together again and be like the pre-2000s.


_________________
Female
Aged 31
On antidepressants
Have ASD, ADHD and anxiety disorder
Empathy score: 61 out of a possible 80. (High)


HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,838
Location: U.S.A.

16 Jul 2021, 9:32 pm

I actually love lockdown and all the changes it's brought, and I don't really care about who doesn't like it or why they don't like it. I'm going to continue to wear a mask, as it makes me more comfortable in public, and utilize all of the online/non-in person services that have been created. It won't be the end of the world and people will manage just fine like they have since the invention of the internet. :wink:


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,535

16 Jul 2021, 9:35 pm

I'm in Victoria too. I initially hated Lockdown due to uncertainty and limitations to personal freedoms, but now I've become more tolerant and....we kind of are used to it here in Melbourne.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,535

16 Jul 2021, 9:36 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Why is your country in lockdown? Do you have vaccines there yet? If so, lockdown shouldn't be happening.


Our federal government bungled vaccine rollout so we are well behind on that front, hence the need to lockdown. This is the 5th lockdown for Victorians.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,838
Location: U.S.A.

16 Jul 2021, 9:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe,

I'm not saying I agree with lockdown laws or the political side of what's going on. That's a whole other issue for me. I'm just saying that I've enjoyed it. I'm agoraphobic and scophophobic, so it's nice to avoid the world and / or hide behind a mask when I have to go out. I like keeping my distance from people without looking cold or arrogant. It's been really quiet at night, the local wildlife is flourishing, and a lot of people have gained the opportunity to work from home. I like the way they're restructuring schools so that kids can do remote learning. I would have LOVED that as a way of avoiding bullies, when I was growing up. So again, I'm not saying it's been the right thing for governments to do -- but in my own way I've found it very relaxing. The only change to my lifestyle is that I went over a year without being allowed in my boyfriend's house. For quite a while we weren't even allowed to see each other outdoors. It's been a wild ride, but it's certainly been a fun challenge.

I had to do online school due to my ADHD and health issues, and after the pandemic the quality of it skyrocketed due to more attention and funding towards it. I think this whole situation was wonderful for kids already in online schooling and kids who may have to consider going into it in the future. No one's going to permanently shut down IRL schooling either, since they are basically glorified daycares and everyone knows that's where kids get a lot of their social interaction with other kids, so I don't think that's a concern for kids who need IRL schooling.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).


Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Age: 25
Posts: 866
Location: Missouri

16 Jul 2021, 9:39 pm

I loved it too, but I did feel a bit of sadness when I saw how tough most other people were taking it, because it meant that they usually had social lives and did things with people during normal times, while lockdown was just my normal life other than that I got to work from home.



Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2021
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 26
Location: Victoria Australia

16 Jul 2021, 9:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm sorry, I just can't relate because of all the political side of it is causing me great anxiety. I don't like the thought of the world becoming reliant on the internet instead of going out, and I'm scared that it is heading towards a society with no more shops, schools, banks, or anything at all, because everyone will just be at home staring at screens all day. Horrible. How are children going to learn social skills if they're indoors all day looking at a screen? Utterly absurd.

Sometimes I wish the internet would just disappear. I may not be able to have WP, Facebook or YouTube any more but at least it will bring the communities together again and be like the pre-2000s.


You are the age of my own kids, so I can definitely remember a world before the internet. A world where I had to consistently mask in order to "fit in". A world that left me feeling completely alone and isolated because I believed that I was the only one who thought the way I do. I met my husband of 20 years online. I have always lived in small rural towns which suits my love of nature but is a very closed off world to live in. Without the internet my world would be very small indeed. I think it is wrong to think that people would socialise more without the internet. I have had 20 year long friendships with people in other countries who I have never actually met, but we share the same interests and still talk on a very regular basis.

The internet has a lot of faults. But it has also bought a lot of people together. This forum for example. I have never met people in real life who understand me. The internet allows me to keep in touch with my children in another state and my family in another country.


_________________
I AM that I AM. That which I have always been. That which I will always Be.


Unseen Unheard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2021
Age: 55
Gender: Female
Posts: 26
Location: Victoria Australia

16 Jul 2021, 9:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I'm in Victoria too. I initially hated Lockdown due to uncertainty and limitations to personal freedoms, but now I've become more tolerant and....we kind of are used to it here in Melbourne.

My hubby just came home from lunch at his job in the local IGA. He said it was crowded, which can't be locals, it's a small town. He said his department sold $7000 yesterday and a normal Friday would be $4000. He said that there were mostly couples, and the lockdown rules state that only one person from each household can shop at a time. He said a lady came in to buy smokes and they asked to see her ID. She pulled out a NSW drivers licence and she wasn't wearing a mask. Seems to me that not many people are obeying the lockdown anyway.

I have been able to get my first shot. I got the AZ the day before they said it was no longer recommended for under 60's.


_________________
I AM that I AM. That which I have always been. That which I will always Be.


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 41,756

16 Jul 2021, 10:00 pm

They allow people to shop without masks? Here we aren't allowed anywhere without them, and most places are still closed.

At one point police were stopping cars to see where people were going. People were even charged for having a passenger in the front seat (not 2m away from them). Families were charged for going on a drive with their kids, to get out of the house - even if they didn't stop or go anywhere restricted.



HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2020
Age: 20
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 6,838
Location: U.S.A.

16 Jul 2021, 10:12 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
They allow people to shop without masks? Here we aren't allowed anywhere without them, and most places are still closed.

At one point police were stopping cars to see where people were going. People were even charged for having a passenger in the front seat (not 2m away from them). Families were charged for going on a drive with their kids, to get out of the house - even if they didn't stop or go anywhere restricted.

In my state (in the U.S.) vaccinated people can go indoors without masks. I think it's really stupid and I still wear them inside even though I'm fully vaccinated. Outside would be fine, but the numbers of cases and everything I don't think are low enough yet to chance going inside without one... Not to mention anti-maskers that are lying about being vaccinated and could bring COVID inside places a lot easier.


_________________
I use he/him pronouns.

I like playing video games, watching cartoons and anime, reading, and cooking.

I also enjoy learning + cataloguing information about different types of animals and plants.

Empathy Quotient: 34/80
Systemizing Quotient: 104/150
Friendship Quotient: 56/140
Autism Quotient: 36/80

RAADS-R: 169

CAT-Q: 153
Compensation: 57
Masking: 47
Assimilation: 49

Your broader autism cluster (Aspie) score: 144 of 200.
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 63 of 200.
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie).