Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Neon_Knight
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2005, 7:12 pm

I admit I daydream a lot. Especially at work.

A collegue of mine frequently walks past me and asks "are you ok there?" and I tell him I'm ok.

This happens about every day.

Never thought much about it.

Last Friday, a person who is also diagnosed with AS visited my office. He knows that I have AS too and saw what happened. He'd been watching out for me. He has had a lot of counselling in the past and was helped in deciphering social cues-which I never was!

He came up to me and told me that what the colleague said was only a polite way of saying this: "Get some bloody work done now!"

I never knew!

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2005, 8:06 pm

Its a daily thing at school. I even have a set time for it (10AM-11AM) however it can happen at any other time. I think its a good thing.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2005, 9:15 pm

I think i do it alot, even when i dont realise.

Ive become more aware of it after my bro said to be once "Dont stand there like a lemon !". For some reason i just stopped what i was doing and was staring into space. Now i know i do it, i often just "space out" stand still staring at the ground for like 5 mins. ( :lol: Sorry i just made myself crack up about my odd behaviour).

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2005, 9:22 pm

With me, it is dependent on the job.

When I was working at the grocery store, the tasks I was assigned were so mind numbing that there was no way I could not daydream.

Even when in the office job, I would daydream when I should have been working.

With the school bus however, because I have to be able to react quickly, I make sure I am on task and not daydreaming at all.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2005, 12:29 pm

I daydream all the time! No matter what I'm doing, I'm usually thinking of something completely different :P It's a blessing and a curse, sometimes I get so absorbed in what I'm thinking about that I am almost oblivious to what's going on around me.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 Jul 2007, 6:38 am

Yeah excessive daydreaming is a symptom of inattention. I learned to do my job while my mind was else where. Part of the reason why most persons with inattention are underemployed (or unemployed).
They largely can not use their mind for work only renting their bodies to their employers.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 6:54 am

Neon_Knight wrote:
I admit I daydream a lot. Especially at work.

A collegue of mine frequently walks past me and asks "are you ok there?" and I tell him I'm ok.

This happens about every day.

Never thought much about it.

Last Friday, a person who is also diagnosed with AS visited my office. He knows that I have AS too and saw what happened. He'd been watching out for me. He has had a lot of counselling in the past and was helped in deciphering social cues-which I never was!

He came up to me and told me that what the colleague said was only a polite way of saying this: "Get some bloody work done now!"

I never knew!

It CAN also be true concern!

TheMachine1 is wrong about this. I daydream and, though underemployed by MY reckoning I AM paid a good salary. I am renting out my MIND! Where I am, they almost fired me for daydreaming, but they are probably VERY happy they didn't. The projects I have been on, one of which was called the hardest and most important for the company, have been successes, and ***I*** am getting most of the credit.

I should say though, that daydream is almost like idle/plan for me. If I am working, I only daydream in a way nobody would ever notice.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 7:07 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
TheMachine1 is wrong about this. I am renting out my MIND!

Your POC score on the autism spectrum components was lowwer than average of the WP members who took the test. A high score indicates higher inattention. Your not as impaired in that area.

delphizealot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2007, 7:33 am

I spend a fair amount of time staring off into space at work, but I'm not actively thinking of anything in particular. I find that this is when I'm doing my complex, integrative thinking, allowing various thought structures to form that will guide the more focused thinking that will need to follow. There's always some noise in this process (what am I going to have for lunch, I wonder how old is that spider on my monitor, etc.) but I've learned to trust it, as the analytical process will only take me so far in my work without the creative kick-start.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2007, 9:08 am

I ususallly day dream while working, I can stay productive, somewhat allert and do my job, its pretty repetitive, and I usually have to use a forklift to move products and pallets, but I have done ok, no accidents yet!!

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 9:14 am

I have a small note pad I write poems on at work :P

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 10:29 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Your POC score on the autism spectrum components was lowwer than average of the WP members who took the test. A high score indicates higher inattention. Your not as impaired in that area.

Are you keeping track, or just going back on that thread. 8O :wink: Actually, of those that have the pattern I do, most aren't THAT affected on the POC. I'm probably one of the least affected, but am not exceptional there.

And HEY, I catch myself doing that from time to time, and stop. If I had my OLD personality(I used to be more stubborn, ask why, and not care so much about what others thought. That probably ended around 10 though. Funny how that age keeps popping up. :evil: ), and hadn't CONSTANTLY been interrupted by my mother, people MIGHT have considered me wierder, and been more likely to fire me. Alas, I got stuck in this rut, so I try to keep up appearances, and I have never ridden it out. I don't even know if I truly can now. :cry:

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 31 Jul 2007, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 10:38 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
2ukenkerl wrote:

Are you keeping track, or just going back on that thread. 8O :wink:

Memory but I did make a sorted list of POC scores. :)

woodsman25 3.5
Bart21 3.75
Fuzzy 4
juancho 4
SteveK 4.25
giaam 4.25
Kosmonaut 4.5
Silver_Meteor 4.5
Etra 4.75
Jennyfoo 4.75
Sedaka 4.75
likedcalico 4.75
squeeker 4.75
Grim 5.25
dalhousie12 5.25
misspuff 5.25
Fogman 5.5
Tizzy 5.5
Dyspergian 5.75
Fosf 5.75
Soopervilin 5.75
poopylungstuffing 5.75
Tesseract 6
jijin 6
Cherokee 6.25
Kelsi 6.25
KenSan 6.25
Roseduelist 6.25
Zara 6.5
matheux 6.5
Izaak 6.75
Mushroom 6.75
OrderAndChaos30 6.75
iceb 6.75
Doomsday 7
LePetitPrince 7
TheMachine1 7
mariiha 7
wyrdaspie 7
Jett 7.25
Schadenfreude 7.25
gwenevyn 7.25
unstoppable 7.25
Seashell 7.5
cowlypso 7.5
DougOzzzz 7.75
Graelwyn 7.75
LadyMacbeth 7.75
unityemissions 7.75
EatingPoetry 8
Pollux 8
SarahR 8
SirCannonFodder 8
epistoliere 8
psychotic 8
ChatBrat 8.25
DandyLyon 8.25
JonnyBGoode 8.25
PBNJ 8.25
imipak 8.25
renaeden 8.5
Danielismyname 8.75
Futurama91 8.75
Pugly 8.75
0_equals_true 9
KingdomOfRats 9
LostInSpace 9
grymwulf 9
anbuend 10

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Jul 2007, 1:43 pm

im at the top of the list? I have the best attention? well thats good, i mean I was Dx'ed with HFA when I was little, but I feel more awair of whats up around me, I drive a 5 ton vehicle within close proximity to ppl almost everyday, without incidents, but I daydream most of my night.

awsome list Matchine.

ohhh ya, i went back to that test and checked it out, ok that makes alot of sence I am soo good about planning for the future, probably why I have a high score, never met someone that could prepair the way I can, especally because I assume the worse case scinario will occure. hahah

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2007, 2:03 pm

I am so fortunate not to have a normal job.
When I did though, (depending on the job) I was very dependant upon non-job related stimulus..lest I go insane.
When i worked at the ice cream parlour, I had an ongoing comic about different strange customers I would interract with...
When I worked in the office, I was constantly constructing things out of used envelopes and other office supplies...and that was in my obsessive journal keeping and strict daily regemine days.
Daydreaming just isn't enough..i have to do things that are interractive.

Now I sew behind the bar where I work...and constantly have other things to occupy me that cooincide simultaneously with work.
i have been this way since I was young...at school...i HAD to doodle at my desk...and so on...