Mostly what is small world theory but also intense world….

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2021, 6:31 am

…theory.

I have heard of autism and small world theory…what can you tell me about these two things?

QuietThoughts
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2021, 6:41 am

The small world theory has nothing to do with autism. It's just about the degree of separation we have from one another in terms of hops through a chain of people from person A to person B, mostly within your own country.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2021, 7:17 am

Oh…I thought small world theory was when someone couldn’t see the forest from (a) tree-s?

Like living in your head.

Or like seeing only our interests?

Or not seeing the bigger picture?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 6:29 pm

The term you're looking for is "Gestalt Perception" or "Gestalt Processing".

Small world theory... :lol: Is very applicable to social networking.
And sometimes, certain relations dynamics and individual's unconscious behavioral cycles concerning relationships.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 7:49 pm

Never heard of "Small World Theory". Have heard of "seven degrees of Kevin Bacon" though. :lol:

Same thing. Nothing to do with autism.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2021, 9:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Never heard of "Small World Theory". Have heard of "seven degrees of Kevin Bacon" though. :lol:

The Small World is getting smaller. It was Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon for awhile. I hear that they are considering updating it to Five. Apparently more people are connected to Kevin Bacon now than there used to be...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 11:08 pm

Something Profound wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

The Small World is getting smaller. It was Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon for awhile. I hear that they are considering updating it to Five. Apparently more people are connected to Kevin Bacon now than there used to be...

Wouldnt be surprised.

Ofcoure the number seven is a kinda mythic digit that folks pull out of their ear because seven is used in magic, myth, and the Bible, etc. and has cultural import. Its not scientific. Or....IS it?

I read about some study where they actually tabulated the "degrees of seperation" between a large sample number of subjects. And guess what number they came up as the average?

Six point seven! 8O

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 6:03 pm

There must be a range of connections for different people. The more extroverted you are, the lower, and vice-versa.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 6:15 pm

Dear_one wrote:
There must be a range of connections for different people. The more extroverted you are, the lower, and vice-versa.

For the whole planet...socioeconomic status would effect it.

You or I wouldnt likely be only seven steps removed from the average bushman in the Kalihari, or from an average North Korean peasant.

But a jet setting Ivy league grad would know elite alumni of elite schools of the world, and might well be only five steps removed from someone who went to school in the Sorbonne, and who sat next to the young Kim Jong Un in biology class there! :lol:

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 6:16 pm

Are you talking about someone seeming "in their own world"? I think a lot of that is because observers can't tell what an autistic person is actually focusing on, and if an autistic person doesn't know to/want to look at and respond to someone or other things to make it clear that they are paying attention, it seems like they're just ignoring things.

I helped take care of an autistic almost 3 year old, and she seemed "in her own world" and didn't actively respond to me or other people much, but acted fine when I played with her and caught her interest with things she liked, and understood what she was trying to communicate and let her do so. I remembered being like that as a toddler and when everyone was "struggling" to get my attention they often already had it, I just didn't see why I had to stare at them and respond to them when I didn't want to, especially when no one was going to take the time to understand my responses anyways.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 6:53 pm

Dear_one wrote:

naturalplastic wrote:
...socioeconomic status would effect it.

Age also, and social media use. In my 20s I was probably 7 to 8 (or further) connections away from Kevin; now nearing 50 I am probably 3 to 4 (or closer) connections away. I am extroverted and have connections via social media I would not have without it.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2021, 9:44 pm

So, what’s it called when you lack experience and are therefore ‘unschooled’ or (how I feel I am) stupid?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 9:49 pm

Technic1 wrote:
So, what’s it called when you lack experience and are therefore ‘unschooled’ or (how I feel I am) stupid?

Young?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2021, 9:58 pm

Can someone please explain zero degrees meaning please?

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2021, 10:00 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Technic1 wrote:

Young?

No more like practice or as Tony Robbins says ‘emersion’.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 4:59 pm

[quote="Technic1"]So, what’s it called when you lack experience and are therefore ‘unschooled’ or (how I feel I am) stupid?[/quote

I deleted my post because I meant it for another one of your posts. Redid it correctly next page.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 04 Aug 2021, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.