What 'special' interests have you had?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Aug 2021, 2:56 pm

Mine have been 9/11, historic periods (Victorian, Edwardian, etc), The Grudge horror movies, and Michael Jackson. Right now it is biology particularly parasites (ringworms, tapeworms, etc).

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Aug 2021, 3:38 pm

I have a lifelong fascination with mythology. If it is mythology related, I will jump into it without much thought and learn as much as I can. This is a very broad category (despite what many people think), and has evolved into other areas. Because of this one "interest" I tend to be an encyclopedia of facts and trivia on religious topics, philosophy, certain pop culture topics (including comics and video games...more the latter and less the former, just how my interests go), and film (You'd be surprised). It also made me an easy candidate for most "nerd culture" past-times and hobbies, and again...I developed a near encyclopedic knowledge base for things like D&D rules and information.

I had a rather strange fascination with serial killers awhile back, but due to less than stellar access to resource material I only had the ability to focus on two particular ones (Jack the Ripper and Jeffrey Dhalmer). That was more a morbid teenage curiosity though.

I have a really odd fascination with etymology. When I was younger I always got frustrated because I wanted to know what words "mean." And not in the dictionary sense. I wanted to know why certain words were similar, how they were connected, and why people thought to use them. Because of this I have a love of certain authors (Theodore Geisel, AKA Dr. Seuss, Edgar Allan Poe, Lewis Caroll, a few others) because of their love of twisting words to fit their stories, or of making words up entirely. Less messy that way when the words are made up by you alone. But actual words? Really frustrated me until I figured out etymology. Then everything made sense (and again, I developed an uncanny knack for unraveling word meanings just by the way it is constructed alone).

The reason I think I managed to get to 38 years without a diagnosis is because my interests make me at least average, or in some places really good, at communication, which is uncommon. But whereas many people on the spectrum apparently prefer to look for patterns in numbers and mathematics, I do the same with words and language. I get really irate when people violate the rules of language. I think it amuses my friends who ask me to help them do their college stuff in English classes (I regularly tell them that their professors are idiots because the course work they are doing makes no sense).

Note, that doesn't mean I enjoy communicating or being sociable. I actually dislike it quite a lot and have difficulties that I am pretty sure are unusual (hence why I am seeking a diagnosis). But I happen to just be better at it than what you might expect from somebody with ASD.

anyway, not sure if that really answers the question. I could name a few others...some are just subsets of a particular category (Like I could go on and on about what the difference between a zombie and a vampire are...there really isn't one tbh). Some are incidental interests that come alongside other interests. I am an artist, so I tend to research a ton on various different art styles and techniques. I don't think this is abnormal, since every artist should be trying to find out more about that stuff. But then again, maybe it is unusual... *Shrug*

I also really enjoy the process of doing research. But only on the subjects I like. If I have to do research on something I dislike it is pretty unpleasant.

Qbeez999
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2021, 1:44 am

Something Profound wrote:
I have a lifelong fascination with mythology. If it is mythology related, I will jump into it without much thought and learn as much as I can. This is a very broad category (despite what many people think), and has evolved into other areas. Because of this one "interest" I tend to be an encyclopedia of facts and trivia on religious topics, philosophy, certain pop culture topics (including comics and video games...more the latter and less the former, just how my interests go), and film (You'd be surprised). It also made me an easy candidate for most "nerd culture" past-times and hobbies, and again...I developed a near encyclopedic knowledge base for things like D&D rules and information.

I had a rather strange fascination with serial killers awhile back, but due to less than stellar access to resource material I only had the ability to focus on two particular ones (Jack the Ripper and Jeffrey Dhalmer). That was more a morbid teenage curiosity though.

I have a really odd fascination with etymology. When I was younger I always got frustrated because I wanted to know what words "mean." And not in the dictionary sense. I wanted to know why certain words were similar, how they were connected, and why people thought to use them. Because of this I have a love of certain authors (Theodore Geisel, AKA Dr. Seuss, Edgar Allan Poe, Lewis Caroll, a few others) because of their love of twisting words to fit their stories, or of making words up entirely. Less messy that way when the words are made up by you alone. But actual words? Really frustrated me until I figured out etymology. Then everything made sense (and again, I developed an uncanny knack for unraveling word meanings just by the way it is constructed alone).

The reason I think I managed to get to 38 years without a diagnosis is because my interests make me at least average, or in some places really good, at communication, which is uncommon. But whereas many people on the spectrum apparently prefer to look for patterns in numbers and mathematics, I do the same with words and language. I get really irate when people violate the rules of language. I think it amuses my friends who ask me to help them do their college stuff in English classes (I regularly tell them that their professors are idiots because the course work they are doing makes no sense).

Note, that doesn't mean I enjoy communicating or being sociable. I actually dislike it quite a lot and have difficulties that I am pretty sure are unusual (hence why I am seeking a diagnosis). But I happen to just be better at it than what you might expect from somebody with ASD.

anyway, not sure if that really answers the question. I could name a few others...some are just subsets of a particular category (Like I could go on and on about what the difference between a zombie and a vampire are...there really isn't one tbh). Some are incidental interests that come alongside other interests. I am an artist, so I tend to research a ton on various different art styles and techniques. I don't think this is abnormal, since every artist should be trying to find out more about that stuff. But then again, maybe it is unusual... *Shrug*

I also really enjoy the process of doing research. But only on the subjects I like. If I have to do research on something I dislike it is pretty unpleasant.

That's interesting and it did answer my question :)

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 5:09 am

Efficiency and structural elegance.
Fluid dynamics.
Material properties, including composites.
Programming.
Minimalism and sustainability.
Sociobiology.

Kimmi1009
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2021, 8:30 am

History, especially American history and ancient history/evolution of human culture, Generational trends (Strauss-Howe,) personal budget spreadsheeting/planning, economic trends, health trends, psychology, archeology, language structure and its impact on human culture. Politics and Law. Literature, particularly science fiction and creative non fiction. Sheesh, that’s kind of a lot.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:08 am

Photography, ancient history, evolutionary biology, etymology, among others.

It annoys me that for other people these would be hobbies, passions, avocations, or just interests. But because we're autistic, they're "special" interests.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 2:09 pm

Houses and property, old battles from history and my local area.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 2:12 pm

The Legend of Zelda, primates in general (which then specified to great apes as I got older), and human evolution (mostly related to the great ape stuff because we are apes). Those are the most long term special interests that I have had.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 11:17 pm

In my teenage years - tennis and tennis players. The band Faith No More.

Later on - science fiction, especially Star Trek (this one is still going).

Ever since I've taken antidepressants, they not only dampen bad obsessions but good ones too. So I haven't had a good, solid special interest for years.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2021, 12:48 am

Benjamin the Donkey wrote:
It annoys me that for other people these would be hobbies, passions, avocations, or just interests. But because we're autistic, they're "special" interests.

I am baffled by the distinction as well. Either NT people do not have passions about their hobbies (which makes them rather bland individuals if that is the case), or there is a no real distinction from what I can tell between an Autistic "Special Interest" and a NT "Hobby." And so why is this an included criteria of a diagnosis?

I get that perhaps the autistic "Special Interest" might be more fervent or fixated than a typical hobby of an NT person, but that does not seem to make these special interests different. It makes the Autistic person an Autistic person who has hobbies. Is it because these interests are unusual? What makes them unusual? Somebody obviously liked the idea of postage stamps enough to make them, and quite a few people seem to like the artwork on them or the uniqueness of them. Are all of those people Autistic? Or just the ones who do enough research to find out the type of glue that was used from 1864 to 1912 that makes those postage stamps different from the ones before and after?

Does that mean that people who like glue are all Autistic? That must then make the people who work in glue and adhesive factories Autistic...

It is a bit of a weird thing to distinguish Autistic people by the fact that specialized interests exist. If there is a thing to be interested in, SOMEBODY is going to have that interest. And there is a fair bet that most people who have an interest in some of the more obscure things are not on the spectrum.

But hey, what do I know?

ct507
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2021, 1:06 am

Qbeez999 wrote:
Right now it is biology particularly parasites (ringworms, tapeworms, etc).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperparasite

ct507
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2021, 1:11 am

Dear_one wrote:

Biomimicry is truly fascinating. IIRC in one instance the fronts of certain types of trains or monorails were redesigned, their shape made to resemble the beak of a kingfisher which significantly reduced noise pollution when exiting tunnels and had other benefits as well.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:26 am

Something Profound wrote:
Benjamin the Donkey wrote:

I am baffled by the distinction as well. Either NT people do not have passions about their hobbies (which makes them rather bland individuals if that is the case), or there is a no real distinction from what I can tell between an Autistic "Special Interest" and a NT "Hobby." And so why is this an included criteria of a diagnosis?

I get that perhaps the autistic "Special Interest" might be more fervent or fixated than a typical hobby of an NT person, but that does not seem to make these special interests different. It makes the Autistic person an Autistic person who has hobbies. Is it because these interests are unusual? What makes them unusual? Somebody obviously liked the idea of postage stamps enough to make them, and quite a few people seem to like the artwork on them or the uniqueness of them. Are all of those people Autistic? Or just the ones who do enough research to find out the type of glue that was used from 1864 to 1912 that makes those postage stamps different from the ones before and after?

Does that mean that people who like glue are all Autistic? That must then make the people who work in glue and adhesive factories Autistic...

It is a bit of a weird thing to distinguish Autistic people by the fact that specialized interests exist. If there is a thing to be interested in, SOMEBODY is going to have that interest. And there is a fair bet that most people who have an interest in some of the more obscure things are not on the spectrum.

But hey, what do I know?

Aspies tend to get deeper into fewer areas of interest. This makes the interests unusually special or intense, to the point that we are more likely to be pushing the envelope, not just going along for the ride.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:55 am

ct507 wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Biomimicry is truly fascinating. IIRC in one instance the fronts of certain types of trains or monorails were redesigned, their shape made to resemble the beak of a kingfisher which significantly reduced noise pollution when exiting tunnels and had other benefits as well.

I recall that story, but I don't consider it biomimicry, as the Kingfisher was built for entering water, not exiting tunnels. In designing a composite fiber structure, I try to think like a tree, using just enough material at each point. Flexible structures use the principles, but seldom the shapes as found in nature. People get inspiration from anywhere, and biology more often inspires art than engineering. I'm always seeing inappropriate imitations from related branches of technology.
The Parthenon has, among the frescoes, fake peg-ends, copying the appearance of the previous wooden temples. For decades, car designers copied streamlining from aircraft, and were baffled by the consequent lifting problems at speed. More recently, features have been copied from supersonic aircraft, hurting performance. The Tesla truck even uses "radar stealthy" shapes, which make it both heavy and slow, while not outfoxing the police. A well-designed bridge will "look right" and so will many other things, but we are easy to fool with a "right look" from a wrong source.

Nierly
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2021, 9:04 am

Hm well, ones that stick out are
theyre not in order

Winx Club since I was a child, it still lingers but in different forms, instead of the show itself I look up dolls and research them.
Leapfrog
Hello Kitty/Sanrio
Tokyo Mew Mew/Anime in general
Jumpstart
Black Butler
Soul Calibur
Love Live
Tokyo Ghoul
Tamagatchi's and other virtual pets
2000's era and toys
Researching cults like Jonestown
Researching genetics rare disorders
Wars and how nuclear fallout/ other chemicals effect humans and other life

My current ones I'll have to say Drakengard, Final Fantasy, doll collecting, sanrio, build a bears and hamsters. My special interests and how I engage in them changed as I got older, I now research them online, draw, and collect merchandise and make shelves for the stuff I collected for it. I know my special interest history seems very stereotypical compared to others :cry: I was always one to escape with forms of media and still do.

"In your darkest hour, in the blackest night... think of me, and I will be with you. Always. For where else could I go? Who else could I love but you?"

Offset
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2021, 6:59 am

I have a few.

I seem to like television "Special Interest", Public access/commercials/advertisements/PSA's. etc. 900 number (not necessarily the X rated/NSFW ones, but yeah lol.) commercials. Local ads for restaurants, business, they are kinda quirky, but also scary/uncomfortable sometimes too. Flea Market Montgomery, (which later became a big meme lol) is the best example I can use.

I liked to collect McDonald's, "Happy Meal" toys, when I was younger and growing up in the 90s. Back when the "Happy Meal" toys were good. I don't know about now. lol. But back in the day, I had the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, belt buckle morpher thing. I had all the power coins. I managed to collect and snag them all. I had the mini Furby's. The Tamagotchi keyrings, and the Inspector Gadget toys, and yeah.

I was really into The Wiggles. The original Wiggles, (Jeff, Greg, Anthony and Murray), not the group/incarnation they have now. I always found them cute, and just nice and charming men, and I would sing and dance to all their songs. I know damn well I was probably the only little black boy that liked The Wiggles. I didn't care, and still don't care. The Wiggles are awesome and epic. lol.

I liked the the now defunct Nickelodeon Magazine growing up as a kid. I would read a lot of the issues that came out. I felt it was an underrated magazine, that people didn't appreciate. I remember my Uncle bought a subscription for me as a gift, and I couldn't wait to search the mail for the Nickelodeon Magazine newest edition to show up. Yeah. lol. Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to all my magazines. A lot of my things when I was younger ended up "getting lost", and it's a long story, and I rather not talk about it, as it's personal family BS, but yeah. lol.

In my youth and childhood, I was into a lot of random computer games growing up. Reader Rabbit, Little Howie's Fun House, Freddie Fish, Pajama Sam, Mall Tycoon, Roller Coaster Tycoon, The Sims (which later became more popular), Thief, Doom, Wolfenstein, Midtown Madness, Carmen Sandiego, The Law and Order and CSI games. Yes lol. I just liked PC games back in the day lol. I would just pop a disc in, install the game, and play for hours and hours lol. I still have some of my PC games in my CD wallets lol.

I used to buy/get Willy Wonka, Laffy Taffy candy, just to read the jokes/riddles. When I noticed that some of the jokes were being copied quite a bit, that made me mad. I also had an obsession with Jujubees/Jujufruits candy. I would eat those all the time. Same with Sour Brite Crawlers:Sour Gummy Worms and Hot Tamales/Mike & Ike candy. I still eat the Sour Brite Crawlers and Hot Tamales candy lol.

I would collect movie theater/cinema ticket stubs on my dresser in my bedroom. I always loved that, as evidence and proof that I saw a popular movie, or even more obscure movies. I would just collect all the ticket stubs, and they would add up and I had quite a bit. I guess I figured it was a silly and weird hobby to have, so I think one day when I was cleaning my room, I just, I guess I found it stupid that I was collecting all these movie tickets, so I threw them away unfortunately. So yeah. lol.