Silly things you did when you were younger

Page 2 of 7 [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Woman
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2007, 2:39 pm

I thought i could make magic potions by mixing together every liquid kept in the house.

I remember following a trail of small terds from the living room to the TV room and finding my baby sister looking out the window.

In 6th grade, I remember my friend & I laying outside at night, watching the stars, and talking about aliens. The more we talked about it, the more we thought we saw UFO's and the more we thought the aliens were about to gewt us. Before we knew it we were terrified and running into her house screaming! :lol:

I listened to my Lady and the Tramp record over and over again, and loved making calandars. :?

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 2:43 pm

I used to never understand why my sister and my cousin would tell me that didn't want me around. Did they think I didn't know that? I used to tell them I knew that, and kept on following them. After all they didn't tell me to go somewhere else, and it was much more fun to hang around them.

I also remember getting in trouble for tilting the pacman game at Pizza Works - it said Tilt on the screen, so I tilted it

One I was asked if I wanted to go to Burger King. Being as that was my all time favcorite restaurant, I said yes. We went to Mcdonalds. I said I didn't want anything. After being asked several times, I said I'd eat when we got to Burger King. Since I had been told we were going to Burger King, I was still expecting to go there even though everyone else was eating at Mcdonalds.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2007, 4:04 pm

hmm, oddly enough i remeber vividly the way things were when i was little, what things looked like, but not how i was, i remember few ppl. Im very good with rmembering the year something occured, often using a reference point, and oddly that reference typically is the gulf war in 1990 for some reason. But I do rmember.

In 1986 (4 years old) my parents had a BBQ and invited the neghboorhood, and i began to sing into an invisible microphone the sesimie street title song, everyone got a kick outa that, apparently i made up strange words too at that party, i was showing off i guess, but everyone liked it so it was cool.

In 1988 (6 years old) I told my art teacher someday we would get married :roll:

In 1986 I had a bunch of small trucks i played with, and had a fake gas station, i always had to place that gas station on the steps of the neghboor, and elderly ladie who liked me but hated everyone on her proproty. Anyways she came out and said "why dont u go play on your own lawn" I responded "the gas is better here"

While walking through the woods, some kid told me to watch out for bears, and if one should come to hit the ground, i was terrified the whole rest of the way.

I had a bunch of keys (i was obsessed with keys) and told everyone in my family my future job would be a janitor because the ones in our school had lots of keys.

thats all i remember for now, but thats good enough...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 4:24 pm

I used to walk around town looking like Austin Powers, ten years ago. :lol:

lephermessiah
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2007, 5:13 pm

When I was 5, I ate 1/2 a measuring cup's worth of Miracle Grow plant food, thinking it was sugar.

When I was 10, my 7 year old stepbrother and I took our toychest and threw it out the attic window of our 4-story home.

When I was 14, I accidentally rode my bike into a tree while I was camping with my family. I broke both the elbow and the wrist in my right arm as a result of the crash. The wrist healed perfectly, however, my elbow wasn't set right and did not heal correctly. (I can still move my arm fine, I just can't extend my arm 180 degrees like a "normal" arm.)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 7:36 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
Irulan wrote:
Btw, it's now when I found out what it means if somebody tells you to pull your socks up.

I don't think I've heard that used as an idiom. I would understand that literally if it were said to me. Maybe it's not an American phrase.

Yeah, I think "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps" is far more common. CPUs by default can't do too much, so they run a program that is usually made small to be flexible and simple. It runs other programs that run parts, and do things like move code into position, schedule, and handle errors. That is called bootstrapping or BOOTING for short.

Last edited by 2ukenkerl on 31 Jul 2007, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 10:02 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
hmm, oddly enough i remeber vividly the way things were when i was little, what things looked like, but not how i was, i remember few ppl. Im very good with rmembering the year something occured, often using a reference point, and oddly that reference typically is the gulf war in 1990 for some reason. But I do rmember.

In 1986 (4 years old) my parents had a BBQ and invited the neghboorhood, and i began to sing into an invisible microphone the sesimie street title song, everyone got a kick outa that, apparently i made up strange words too at that party, i was showing off i guess, but everyone liked it so it was cool.

In 1988 (6 years old) I told my art teacher someday we would get married :roll:

In 1986 I had a bunch of small trucks i played with, and had a fake gas station, i always had to place that gas station on the steps of the neghboor, and elderly ladie who liked me but hated everyone on her proproty. Anyways she came out and said "why dont u go play on your own lawn" I responded "the gas is better here"

While walking through the woods, some kid told me to watch out for bears, and if one should come to hit the ground, i was terrified the whole rest of the way.

I had a bunch of keys (i was obsessed with keys) and told everyone in my family my future job would be a janitor because the ones in our school had lots of keys.

thats all i remember for now, but thats good enough...

"the gas is better here" lolololol that cured the gas crisis :lol:

you collected keys? 8O so did i(before i found first door closer) lol yea in a school you can destinctively tell if you hear a janitor if with each step a large ring of keys jingles (and this can be heard down the hall)

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 10:50 pm

My memory is really faded... and what I remember is really all that people have told me. Except for some experiences from 6th grade.

I remember being so gullible, that when kids told me to jump into a dumpster to find something I wanted... I did exactly as I was told and didn't think anything of it.

I made up not one but three worlds/stories in 6th grade... and I would talk about them to my fellow classmates incessantly.

Also in 6th grade, I was told by fellow classmates that a girl liked me... so I went up and asked her out... without even knowing what I was doing. I wasn't embarrassed... I had no clue what I was doing.

There is probably many others... I just don't have the recall for this sort of thing.

Looking back, I did a lot of strange things in 6th grade. It was also a time when my life was going through the most changes... I went to a new school. And the school wasn't very good... I had absolutely no friends. But strangely enough... I was more creative in that one year of school than any other time in my life.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

25 Jul 2007, 10:52 pm

I have a few...

When I was around 4-8 years old, I wouldn't sit or stand on ANYTHING with an intense pattern on it. If I had to, Mother had to put a blanket over it so I couldn't see it.

If there was a piece of cotton hanging off my clothing, I would gag uncontrolibly until someone pulled it off.(This was only until I was around 6 years old).

I was in the car yesterday with a lady who was dropping me off at home from a self-defense class, which was organised through a confidence building group that I attend. Anyway, she was driving me home and asked me " Have you found your bearings yet? ". I replied " I didn't know I had any with me, some must have fallen out of my pocket ". Then I started to feel around under the seat I was sitting on looking for them. The lady replies " I didn't mean Ball bearings, I ment, do you know where we are,". :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was at primary school, a girl asked me if I wanted to ride the flying fox. I replied " Foxes don't fly, are you stupid,?". :lol:

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 10:59 pm

Oh another one I remembered... this is really strange, and very embarrassing.

After taking a bath, and before I put on any clothes... I felt absolutely compelled to play with my legos. Something in my mind compelled me, that right then and there I had to build something out of legos. I wasn't extremely young either, probably 10 or maybe even 12...

And a family member caught me, I was just there sitting on the floor between the bathroom and my bedroom intently playing legos... all nekked. :oops:

To this day this story is still brought up if someone wants to really embarrass me.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2007, 1:39 am

I see a lot of things about taking things literally as little kids, but nobody has magic powers that enable them to understand expressions they've never heard before... if someone told me pull up my socks (I've never heard that expression before) I would think "how strange... why would they want me to pull up my socks, maybe could it mean something else?" and then ask them what they meant by that, but that is part of development. No kid is going to come out of the womb being able to decipher expressions like that. It's a learned process, and maybe what sets NTs and autistics apart is the time at which they are able to do the mental process I described...

Possibly my most noticable quirk as a kid was not being able to throw away stuff and crying when something of mine was thrown away/lost. I always had hope that people had magic powers that could get me the things back, but that never worked... I believe this is considered "compulsive hoarding", a symptom of OCD. I still have all the school work I did from every grade too as well as a collection of random papers, paper airplanes, dead batteries, and stuffed animals... Random stuff that just takes up space in my room, but I would rather keep it than part with it.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2007, 1:43 am

Pugly wrote:
Oh another one I remembered... this is really strange, and very embarrassing.

After taking a bath, and before I put on any clothes... I felt absolutely compelled to play with my legos. Something in my mind compelled me, that right then and there I had to build something out of legos. I wasn't extremely young either, probably 10 or maybe even 12...

And a family member caught me, I was just there sitting on the floor between the bathroom and my bedroom intently playing legos... all nekked. :oops:

To this day this story is still brought up if someone wants to really embarrass me.

Oh legos and building stuff. (this is off topic, but...) I used to build cool stuff with them as well as other stuff and couldn't take apart the structures because I wanted to keep them forever... and I would cry when something was broken or whatever.... I absolutely HATED dominoes for this reason because once you set them up on the floor all you would do is destroy all the work you did...

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:47 am

psychotic wrote:
I see a lot of things about taking things literally as little kids, but nobody has magic powers that enable them to understand expressions they've never heard before... if someone told me pull up my socks (I've never heard that expression before) I would think "how strange... why would they want me to pull up my socks, maybe could it mean something else?" and then ask them what they meant by that, but that is part of development. No kid is going to come out of the womb being able to decipher expressions like that. It's a learned process, and maybe what sets NTs and autistics apart is the time at which they are able to do the mental process I described...

we all know that... even if someone knows the expression already, the first reflex will always be to take it literally. for aspies, it requires some thinking to realize it, even after hearing that expression before.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2007, 1:54 am

it's just that everyone was implying that taking things literally as little children was an attribute of AS. I think in here, not enough importance is being put on how NT's think so that anyone who doubts if they are aspie or NT sees these kidn of things and is saying "oh I did a few things like that too"... and it's hard to do anything about it because the only way it wouldnt be a problem is if the half the people were aspie and the other half NT, but it isn't so every single trait of everyone starts to look like it is an autistic one.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 2:03 am

Well it's not just about interpreting words that creates these odd situations.

NT's usually can tell exactly what the intent of the other person is by the tone of their voice. So the misunderstandings aren't as common among NT's growing up.

Now I am aware enough to realize an odd expression is not real... but I still have problems understanding exactly the intent and reason why someone would say it.

I am sure most people have some little strange social confusion sometime in their life. But the frequency, and how late into development it occurs is what stands out.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:19 am

Being a child I used to spend a lot of time drawing genealogical trees of my grandparents's cats - they always had several cats in their home. I used to find names for them every time.

I also recalled something what I wrote here once - it's about those grandparents. I remember that once they bought a big number of hens and every evening I had a good fun in a hen house looking at the hens roosting on the perches and segregating them according to the color of their fethers - it looked really cool when the birds having the same color were sat by me on the same perch. It looked really tidy and this way there was no disorder caused by the clash of colors.