Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 1:33 am

isn't it called "echolalia" or something?

I believe it's seperate from AS but commonly co-morbid... I could be wrong.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2007, 1:45 am

I have completely random flashbacks where all I hear is a few words and it gives me an embarrased feeling and then it's over... The strange thing is that it could be from 1 minute ago, 1 day ago, or 10 years ago. It doesn't matter.

psychotic
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jul 2007, 1:48 am

Izaak wrote:
isn't it called "echolalia" or something?

I believe it's seperate from AS but commonly co-morbid... I could be wrong.

If I understand correctly, echolalia is kind of like a form of stimming where you mentally play words, sounds, or music over and over in your head again... it doesn't seem to be completely what we are talking about here though...

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

26 Jul 2007, 4:12 am

I often do something similar to this...

For example...if I have a conversation with someone and didn't enjoy it. While i'm awake at night, I will re-create the conversation, in my head, the way I would like it to be.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2007, 5:12 am

Yes, I do this too - both replaying and rehearsing. Most of the time I only do it out loud when I am alone though. I hadn't thought of this as an AS thing before - I just assumed everyone did it. Any NTs here to provide their views?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 7:40 am

Kelsi wrote:
Yes, I do this too - both replaying and rehearsing. Most of the time I only do it out loud when I am alone though. I hadn't thought of this as an AS thing before - I just assumed everyone did it. Any NTs here to provide their views?

I don't think it is an AS thing. I think it has to do with social anxiety.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2007, 8:42 am

LostInSpace wrote:
Kelsi wrote:

I think social anxiety is the primary motivation for anyone doing it, and our AS part is the drive to do it as a ritualistic exercise in order to actually learn something. I think that, unlike NTs with social anxiety, we really NEED to do it to an extent, in order for us to learn what to do and not to do in future social situations. NTs probably do it more out of true OCD or emotional insecurity.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 8:56 am

unnamed wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
Kelsi wrote:

I think social anxiety is the primary motivation for anyone doing it, and our AS part is the drive to do it as a ritualistic exercise in order to actually learn something. I think that, unlike NTs with social anxiety, we really NEED to do it to an extent, in order for us to learn what to do and not to do in future social situations. NTs probably do it more out of true OCD or emotional insecurity.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I practice conversations to myself I get a soothing feeling. Kind of like the feeling I imagine that an NT gets from socializing with other people. Except, I rarely get that feeling when I talk to others, it's more of a frustrated anxious feeling. It's kinda like filling in a gap where typical conversation should be, but isn't for me. I don't know if that makes any sense?

Iamscientist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2007, 9:46 am

psychotic wrote:
I have completely random flashbacks where all I hear is a few words and it gives me an embarrased feeling and then it's over... The strange thing is that it could be from 1 minute ago, 1 day ago, or 10 years ago. It doesn't matter.

I do this all the time, I preview converstations, think about different ways to get what I need to say out. And I replay stuff like crazy. Now that I think about it, I haven't done it much in the last few weeks. But normally what happens is I will vividly remember something embarrasing or some mistake I made in dealing with someone else, then the emotion will follow. Usually, I just try to let myself off the hook for what I did. Either I'll tell myself that everyone does that sometimes or just keep telling myself that NTs don't remember all the little details of everyday life that I do, so my litte mistake is probably forgotten by them.

But like a lot of aspie problems, don't get worked up about it, just understand it happens to apies, and get yourself distracted.

Truth is, I'm not a scientist. I'm an analytic philosopher, but we like to think we're scientists.

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2007, 10:33 am

I reply convos in my head to think about what could have said, espicially if the responses were not what I was expecting.
I get random things I have heard stuck in my head too, like the scrips from 'The Crow' and a good deal of 'V for Vendetta'.

Rossi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2007, 5:31 pm

I find it quite interesting that some seem to have negative feelings about it.

I do that whenever I am on my own - at home, in the car ... not only replaying past conversations or previewing future or fictious conversations but I'm also frequently giving presentations about my special interests to a virtual audience.
It's an essential part of my private life, hard to imagine what I would do without it :lol:

Now - as I think about it I guess what makes it so perfectly relaxing is the fact, that I can express myself in pictures in my internal presentations/conversations. Most of my thoughts happen in pictures indeed, and it's very exhausting in "normal" conversations having to translate what is so crystal clear in my own mind. Does that make any sense ?

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2007, 5:58 pm

I often replay and/or plan out conversations in my head. It's strange to find out that not everyone does this.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 9:49 pm

If I didn't rehearse conversations, I wouldn't be able to talk without sounding like a total idiot. Not that I don't already LOL But really, it helps me tremendously. I also use post-conversations as a learning tool (as someone else mentioned). I beat myself up alot doing it, but I learn from that, too.

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2007, 11:23 pm

Rossi wrote:
I find it quite interesting that some seem to have negative feelings about it.

I think people must be having different experiences with it, although we're referring to it the same way. Like for instance, someone mentioned that reliving conversations is soothing for them. For me, it was definitely a part of my social anxiety disorder, and before getting on medication, I tortured myself for hours every day by reliving and cringing at the slightest embarrassment from conversations that had happened weeks or months previously. I just obsessed about the tiniest things from conversations I'd had, even though logically I knew that 1) probably what I was obsessing about was never even noticed by the other person and 2) even if they had noticed, they almost certainly didn't remember it. It was almost like a kind of OCD. Medication for social anxiety has helped tremendously though, as has therapy.

Other times I'll have a more normal experience of reliving conversations, especially arguments, like when you think of things you wish you had said at the time (really clever things you can never think of on the spot). Although that's probably not the best way to spend your time, I think that is just normal, not pathological at all.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2007, 1:14 am

I do this also... I think it's natural for us because we want to figure out what the person actually meant. Ruminating on these phrases has helped me a lot in understanding the finer points of conversation. I also get TV/movie clips stuck in my head all the time, especially from Simpsons.
If it`s bothering you, the best way to get rid of it is to listen to music you enjoy.

sax100
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2007, 4:20 am

I used to do this incessantly while I paced back and forth, sometimes while listening to music, and this would take hours out of my day!

I make hand motions and talk out loud, too, when I really get caught up in it. And I have fantasy conversations with people in my head that I go over and over and edit as I do, even knowing these conversations may probably never take place!

OMG.. i do this all the time - i lose hours a day replaying conversations in my head - and then get quite phased out trying to understand the hidden meanings of what people have said during these converstaions, or what the persons body language meant - it drives me insane sometimes, when i can't switch off from it!! !