Velociraptor

07 Sep 2021, 4:34 am

How do you explain thee anger?

What wouldn’t you do during a meltdown?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 6:59 am

1. Keep it private, if you can, walk away and let loose where you cannot be observed.

If you have to explain it to someone, you can say that anger, frustration, and disappointment are all reactions to a conflict between expectations and reality. This is amplified if the conflict arises suddenly.

The problem for Aspies is that a faster or more sensitive neurology also amplifies things so that what might be more manageable for a neuro-typical can be a cascading avalanche for an Aspie.

The ability to increase the intensity of focus also creates a vulnerability with an ancillary focus of emotional intensity. A classic example is the mental anticipation of a series of actions required to complete a particular task. As each step is accomplished any interruption or unplanned event can cause anxiety to overshoot the bounds of constraint that keeps things in check.

Melt downs are particularly difficult for younger Aspies as one has not had enough time to develop management skills.

Melt down prevention;

1. Contingency planning.
2. The older you get, the more ways you have seen for things to go wrong and can anticipate them.
3. Slow down the process so that room is left to consider the unanticipated when it occurs.
4. Cut back on caffeine.

Melt down management;

1. Get some place private.
2. Recover quickly and apologize.
3. Assure others you are not mad at them.
4. Use humor when possible such as after dropping something say, "I can't understand why I lost that job at the munitions plant".

It can be better to swear than to break something. It can be helpful to swear in another language. However, I once found in New Zealand that swearing in Spanish was not as obscure as I thought.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 7:54 am

Quote:
4. Use humor when possible such as after dropping something say, "I can't understand why I lost that job at the munitions plant".

First of all, that is beautiful. :lol:

I haven't had a meltdown in a long time, but I used to have them somewhat regularly. That was pre diagnosis for me. Once I learned what was happening to me, I was able to practice better self care and they got less frequent. Before my dx, I used to not explain them because I couldn't. The best I had was to say that I just flip out sometimes. Then I would feel like crap about it, pass out for a few hours, tip toe around a bit, and then eventually sheepishly apologize for acting like a lunatic. Once diagnosed, part of my apology included figuring out what went wrong and brainstorming how I could better handle it, should that happen again.

But yeah, I agree, get away from people is a good thing to do. Identify what happens to you during a meltdown and try to put yourself in a place where that's okay to do. Example, I threw stuff. I made myself a place where I could go and throw things that didn't matter if and when they got broken. I made a safe spot, and then I used it. And that spot was away from the people I lived with so if I did end up screaming, it wasn't in the middle of a crowded living room (I had a basement room).

I don't know about what I wouldn't do...my meltdowns tended to play out the same way each time. I'd flip out, scream, yell, break stuff, and sometimes put my head or fist through a wall. I mean, it's not like I had much of a choice on what I did back then. I lacked the ability to shift it to less damaging things. I also lacked to ability to know when one was coming on and prevent it. Back then, it just happened to me and I had to get the metaphorical grrr out, just ride it out and do damage control later.

As time went on I learned how to redirect the grrr and stopped doing things like that. These days preventative measures are my friend. If I feel that coming on, I know physical activity helps me so now I can walk, run, or hit a heavy bag. So now, I wouldn't break stuff, scream, or hurt myself, but that wasn't always the case.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2021, 11:56 am

I'm not sure I've ever had meltdowns but I used to have outbursts before I went on antidepressants, that involved:-

Crying
Whining
Swearing
Arguing with loved ones
Yelling insults at loved ones
Hitting myself in my face or head because I was angry with myself
Slamming and kicking doors

These were usually triggered by the wrong words that might have been said to me, or disappointment, or depression, or even anxiety. These always happened at home and when there are loved ones around (I never had an outburst when on my own, because outbursts were a way of expressing myself when I was too overwhelmed with emotions to just express civilly).

Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:07 am

I replaced meltdowns with shutdowns.
Got me into less trouble, and was also easier to blame on something, like lack of sleep.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:18 am

Dependant on if for me alcohol was involved. These are just anger outbursts but usually arise only when I physically can't successfully mask anymore.

Otherwise it's just a s**t load of general yelling, refusing to talk to anyone, bang n throw stuff and heap of stimming.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:20 am

1986 wrote:
I replaced meltdowns with shutdowns.
Got me into less trouble, and was also easier to blame on something, like lack of sleep.

Hmm this seems like a good idea.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:39 am

I know how to hold it in and let it out later and elsewhere.
I also know how to shutdown instead of explode.

And anger itself seem to be too in character of me to react with, so...
People may take meltdowns for just being upset -- being irritable and moody.
And people knew there can be several reasons why. Let alone shutdowns.

In an emotionally expressive culture...

There are several ways being angry or even being violent can be more forgiving towards.
Of course one also had to acknowledge the limits of that forgiveness or patience.

Anyways.
My natural reaction to meltdowns are particularly violent.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 1:45 am

I scream and/or cry and try to isolate myself. If I'm having a really bad meltdown I hit things. I've given myself concussions before and I have a messed up wrist from it.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 2:27 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I scream and/or cry and try to isolate myself. If I'm having a really bad meltdown I hit things. I've given myself concussions before and I have a messed up wrist from it.

Self harming during mine are a very valuable tool and greatly stop my outbursts becoming violent.. I usually only rage on myself though, stab myself , burn, break things over my face, slice myself open etc. though slicing is generally reserved for suicide attempts. I've required many stitches over the past few years / hospital visits ect.

Please talk to someone if the above is something you're feeling..
Just because I feel the need to do these things doesn't mean you should.

Dani.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2021, 4:08 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Self harming during mine are a very valuable tool and greatly stop my outbursts becoming violent.. I usually only rage on myself though, stab myself , burn, break things over my face, slice myself open etc. though slicing is generally reserved for suicide attempts. I've required many stitches over the past few years / hospital visits ect.

Please talk to someone if the above is something you're feeling..
Just because I feel the need to do these things doesn't mean you should.

Dani.

I'm sorry that you go through that. :( I don't really intend to hit things, but I guess when I have really bad meltdowns my ape brain doesnt know how else to deal with it besides for hitting things. 8O I haven't broken any objects or hit any people though, just had some injuries from it.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2021, 4:33 pm

I’ve had some pretty bad ones, and usually in conjunction with an argument with a loved one.

After seeking support they don’t happen much anymore or are less severe.

In the past I was known to:

Hit/break things (put holes in the wall as a teenager and smashed a window once)
Yell and swear
Refuse to move or leave the other person alone
Pace
Bang my head, scratch or hit myself as a form of self harm

Now meltdowns look like:
Noticeably raised heart rate
Tension in my body expressed by arm crossing or restlessness
Pacing
Rigid thought patterns
Physical malaise such as stomach aches or headaches

Thinking now, my meltdowns are obviously more internalised and I’m much better at taking space.

Each in the past and present would often lead to absolute exhaustion and sleep.

skrish234
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Nov 2021, 2:58 pm

I haven't had meltdowns since I was a kid, but there are times when I'll have outbursts. Usually, I just cry alone when they happen and then I'll pretend like nothing ever happened.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2021, 6:50 pm

Quote:

I've learnt to control anger since I've been on antidepressants.
But before, I'd have a meltdown (we called them "freak-outs") to get through to people how triggered I was about something. Also my anger was like a shaken bottle - I couldn't do anything until I had verbally exploded. My heart would beat faster, I'd get a throbbing headache, and I'd go all hot and shaky. Yelling and arguing with loved ones was how I let my anger out, which isn't right I know, and was why I decided to go on antidepressants to help control my moods. I still have my moments but not as bad as I used to, and I'm much more easier and pleasant to live with now.

Quote:

I'd never hurt anybody. No matter how angry I was, nobody ever got hurt. I've held a knife to my chest once in an angry rage threatening to kill myself (but I never did, I think I just done it to get others to sympathise with how upset I was feeling), and my family got scared for MY safety but they were never scared for THEIR safety because they knew as well as I did that it just wasn't in my nature to harm anybody. And I never did stab myself, I never even cut myself. Ever. No matter how angry I was.
So I did have some self-control. I think I had trouble controlling the emotion.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2021, 2:28 pm

Technic1 wrote:

meltdown could refer to something that is very scary. People get really aggressive and just have to throw stuff. This is the worst thing about ASD! The worst thing!

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Dec 2021, 2:32 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

I've learnt to control anger since I've been on antidepressants.
But before, I'd have a meltdown (we called them "freak-outs") to get through to people how triggered I was about something. Also my anger was like a shaken bottle - I couldn't do anything until I had verbally exploded. My heart would beat faster, I'd get a throbbing headache, and I'd go all hot and shaky. Yelling and arguing with loved ones was how I let my anger out, which isn't right I know, and was why I decided to go on antidepressants to help control my moods. I still have my moments but not as bad as I used to, and I'm much more easier and pleasant to live with now.

Quote:

I'd never hurt anybody. No matter how angry I was, nobody ever got hurt. I've held a knife to my chest once in an angry rage threatening to kill myself (but I never did, I think I just done it to get others to sympathise with how upset I was feeling), and my family got scared for MY safety but they were never scared for THEIR safety because they knew as well as I did that it just wasn't in my nature to harm anybody. And I never did stab myself, I never even cut myself. Ever. No matter how angry I was.
So I did have some self-control. I think I had trouble controlling the emotion.

I have never heard anyone explain their meltdowns this way. I thought meltdown made people throw stuff.
I was also told that anger expressed made people less depressed. This would make people who had meltdowns less depressed but I guess that only works for some people. I'm not sure meltdowns make a person less depressed. sounds strange to me.