Need a good old rant. Anyone else up for it?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 6:28 am

Dear_one wrote:
Rant of the hour: Too many clips on YouTube have robot narrators with totally predictable speech mannerisms and a general inability to pronounce abbreviations correctly. Too many of the others now have synthetic "background" music to trick us into thinking the talk is more interesting than it really is.

Rant of the week: The Experimental Aircraft Association is one of the finest flowers of the American penchant for freedom. It lets people risk their own lives even if there is a remote chance of their accident affecting others. The amateurs have produced some great advances in aviation, doubling many records. What we need now are similar permissions for experimenting with more sustainable transportation and housing. Everything I want to build is mostly illegal to use.

Putting a music bed under speech is an old radio trick. Keeps the energy going while a person gives you a lecture. Thats acceptable "sleight of hand". But agree that that "robot" that amateurs rely on to avoid doing their own announcing is odious. Sounds mechanical. Mispronounces things.

Trouble is real announcers are often illiterate, and mispronounce things. One guy called "the Canary Islands" the "Cannery Islands" (like "Cannery Row"). The little yellow birds are named after the islands they were first discovered on (in case you're in grade school and dont know. lol). Another guy referred to Russian ships captured by a German cruiser in 1915 as "Soviet ships" ( the Czar still ruled Russia at the time. The Soviet Union didnt exist yet). The worst was a young lady hosting a show about "The Mandela Effect" who correctly stated that the effect was named after Nelson Mandela, but then said that she "didnt know who he was, or what he was famous for, but I know he was a South African man".

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:34 am

^^ The background I hear now is not actually music, nor a series of chords intended to manipulate my mood as is often included in propaganda, but a repetitive pattern generated by a computer and scientifically designed to maintain interest and delay one's clicking off.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 12:20 pm

interesting. Maybe you can post an example here.

EdCase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Oct 2021, 7:52 pm

I'm attending an online meeting. The presenter keeps making noises with his mouth, like tutting, keeps saying actually, and he needs a de-esser (whistley noises every time he says a word with an S in it).

It is driving me insane!

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2021, 1:32 pm

EdCase wrote:
I'm attending an online meeting. The presenter keeps making noises with his mouth, like tutting, keeps saying actually, and he needs a de-esser (whistley noises every time he says a word with an S in it).

It is driving me insane!

I still can't decide whether interacting with people virtually or in person is more irritating

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 6:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Not the worst, but it fits the description. The script is pretty bad too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63_KTcR4n4 I'll post another if I hear my teeth grinding.

hariboci
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2021, 9:40 am

Ade C wrote:
Hey, how's it going?

Today I'm standing in front of the cave and carefully looking around :D

How about you?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 9:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Here's another - still not the absolute worst - maybe those have been upgraded.
https://www.wimp.com/how-an-igloo-actua ... -you-warm/

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 9:51 pm

Dear_one wrote:
^^ The background I hear now is not actually music, nor a series of chords intended to manipulate my mood as is often included in propaganda, but a repetitive pattern generated by a computer and scientifically designed to maintain interest and delay one's clicking off.

There is a visual "repetitive pattern generated by a computer and scientifically designed to maintain interest and delay one's clicking off". I find it distracting and unpleasant. It is frequently on news programs and interviews.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 9:07 am

Raining season coming soon and I work as a Lot Attendant, outside. A raincoat only does so much, for 7 hours.

It is easy to get struck by a car at work.

My company attracts the worst of the worst, customers and employees. A large portion of them look scary and suspicious to me. ( But everyone has subconscious biases)

Too many things to trip on on the ground.

Litterbox too loud. Not enough litterboxes. Litterbox often out of order.

Appetite gone haywire. Worried about getting fat. Grocery prices rising faster than minimum wage

Often fail to sleep

Exhausted too much

Shower rod fell off

Annoying customers and coworkers, talk too much and micromanaging

My "friend" takes three weeks to answer the f*****g email and when she does, it is just a couple of lines long. We used to hang out a lot but since her concussion not that much

Zero occupational prospects

Kayla b***h and Rolando penis won't apologize

Too cold in the morning and too hot in the afternoon

Dryer not working

Off leash dogs

Precious lil "people" act like "huh" and "what" are the etiquette equivalent of "excuse me".

Getting ordered around and micromanaged like a slave

Addiction chocolate

Cooking is like (executive processing disorder)

Counseling is like "actions speak louder than words"

38 nothing accomplished

Precious lil "people" make way too much noise pollution and they act so "holier than thou"

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2021, 2:12 pm

hariboci wrote:
Ade C wrote:
Hey, how's it going?

How about you?

Are you looking in or out of the cave?
I'm still alive so guess I have to be grateful for that?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 4:59 pm

Worst background music award: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMkQEPIJng And, there are dozens more just like it.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 7:26 pm

OK, this one is absurd. plinky synthetic "music" under bird calls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6aoKmiWao&t=76s

hariboci
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2022, 8:07 am

Ade C wrote:
hariboci wrote:
Ade C wrote:
Hey, how's it going?

How about you?

Are you looking in or out of the cave?
I'm still alive so guess I have to be grateful for that?

It varies every moment :D But at least at the weekend I felt to go out and sniff around. It was nice.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 2:42 pm

It's the adhesion to pointless rituals and unnecessary expectations that drive me up the wall. You've got to buy them something for Xmas or their birthday even if they don't want it because "it's the thought that counts." You're childish if you still want to play with a children's toy when you're "too old for it." You must dig your garden and wash your car on Sunday. You must wear a suit for a ceremony. Being clean isn't enough, your hair has to be cut and combed just right, shoes polished, no marks on your clothing. You must be au fait with all the current silly memes. You must give eye contact. You must use schmooze. Lies make the world go round. You must go with the flow. Don't for god's sake be different even it it's better to be. You must have a work ethic. You must express hatred for what they hate. Thank the troops for their service. Love your country. Don't question authority. You must go to school. You must want a job and pursue a career path. You can kill yourself with dangerous drugs as long as it's only alcohol, tobacco, and prescription medicines. Live television is to be tolerated at all times. Go to parties. Don't avoid crowds, they are a wonderful experience.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 2:01 am

Everything about the NT world is so binary. Gender has to be binary in the minds of many NTs. Age has to be binary in the minds of many NTs. Aren't you a little old for this? Aren't you a little young for that? But, your favrourte band was recording music before you were born. No son of mine will do this. No daughter of mine will do that. I don't know why you bought that because that's for men. Only women buy stuff like that. Celebrate the differences between men and women. You must live for today, in the present. No thank you! I can't wait until I'm working again. I'll have the money and social class to dress like The Kinks, again and confuse the hell out of every rigid thinker out there in society.