I wonder if I am correct that AS as a milder form of PDD

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 8:54 pm

I feel like the difference between PDD-NOS and Asperger Syndrome is arbitrary, if we stop paying attention to speech delay and some form of Intellectual Disability, the symptoms of both Asperger Syndrome and PDD-NOS is the same, no difference, but with arbitrary distinctions, Asperger Syndrome doesn't include speech delay and some form of Intellectual Disability.

The problem is that there are some people that have a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome, but have milder form of speech delay and Intellectual Disability.

My friend said that he has Asperger Syndrome and I told him that it is a milder form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder, but he said that it is different, because it is considered to be a higher-functioning form of Autism. It could be an aspie superiority complex, but having that kind of mindset is not good, because he does understand what it is like to have ASD in general, because he told me that he has hard time having conversation with people and I notice that he has some restricted interests.

That is another reason why arbitrary distinctions of PDDs is not helpful, because the way you function can fluctuate. Heck, I feel like a person with Asperger Syndrome, even though I only had an outdated diagnosis of PDD-NOS, but in modern days, I am just considered to have ASD.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 8:58 pm

I think at some point there's going to be a restructuring of the way the spectrum and adjacent conditions are understood. It will probably involve both lumping and splitting.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 9:01 pm

It's confusing, because it's lumping together into one diagnosis, but in the future, it might be separated again, and or we might have a completely different diagnosis that fits for both Communication Disorders and ASD.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 11:05 pm

PDD-NOS just meant that even though you showed autism symptoms, you just didn't check enough of the boxes to neatly fit into either Aspergers, Kanners (classic autism), or whatever else used to be in the pervasive developmental disorders subcategories. It was like saying, you're autistic, that we agree on, but we're not sure exactly what kind of autistic you are, so we're putting you in this NOS camp. I always found that particular dx to be confusing, vague, and broad, though I understand why I got it.

I think in some cases, it would be more severe than Aspergers, but in other cases less. Really though, I'm not sure and now I want to know. I'm kinda wondering how many other previously dx'd PDD-NOS people are on this site and if they feel they were more or less severe than people dx'd with Aspergers. I feel more severe, that's for sure. I never really have identified much with things I've read about Aspergers. I've always felt more in common with classic autism things I've read up on. Same can be said with people here on this site. There's a lot I simply cannot relate to all that much and I believe the bulk of the people here were previously dx'd Aspergers. But that's just me.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 11:11 pm

That is understandable, it's just my friend with Asperger Syndrome told me that Asperger Syndrome is not a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, but a higher-functioning form of Autism.

That is very confusing and superior, because Autism is in it self a Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

I question if I know what ASD even is after that, even though I have ASD.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 11:25 pm

FranzOren wrote:
I question if I know what ASD even is after that, even though I have ASD.

There's days I'm convinced no one has a clear idea.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 11:26 pm

I'm inclined to agree with you. Aspergers was a subcategory of pervasive developmental disorders, and that would make it one. Aspergers was considered a pervasive developmental disorder. Your friend is incorrect. I'm not sure why he's saying that. Maybe it is a superiority thing? I dunno.

ASD is really just the new way of saying PDD. And now they focus on levels, and got rid of things like Aspergers, Kanners and PDD-NOS. I'm not sure what they did with things like Rett Syndrome, though it's probably irrelevant to the topic at hand. But yeah, agreed. It all is rather confusing.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2022, 11:45 pm

Thank you! It makes sense, I will try my best to correct him, but I am afraid that I will make him upset, I think that he doesn't want to be associated with people who have Profound Intellectual Disability with repetitive behaviors, because he doesn't have Intellectual Disability, let alone a severe one, and that is understandable, but ASD is a better description, because not everyone with ASD has Intellectual Disability.

I hope you know what I mean.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 12:05 am

Right on. Hopefully he doesn't end up getting upset. And I'm inclined to agree again. It really is a spectrum, and we all fall somewhere on there and will have different things going on with us or not going with us.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 9:23 am

It makes sense.

Thank you!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 11:39 pm

You can be severely intellectually disabled, and be diagnosed with PDD-NOS because the severe intellectual disability is not accompanied by full-throttle autism.

Usually, though, those with PDD-NOS had milder symptoms than those diagnosed with full-fledged autism.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2022, 11:58 pm

The definition of PDD-NOS is not stable, because we can argue that PDD-NOS is actually milder than Asperger Syndrome, but it depends on the context.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 1:06 am

The question you're asking is kind of ass-backward.

Aspergers, Kanner-type autism, etc, are all pervasive developmental disorders.

But they are "specified". The doc who labels you is saying "you got something, and we know what it is".

The full name of PDD is "PDD NOS". "Pervasive development disorder not otherwise specified". The doc is saying that you "have something, but we dont what it is". So thats what they lump you under.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 9:00 am

It's very confusing, because in reality I need therapy, sensory and social skills training, and It shouldn't matter what specific PDD I have. That is why ASD is more helpful.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 12:48 pm

FranzOren wrote:
It's very confusing, because in reality I need therapy, sensory and social skills training, and It shouldn't matter what specific PDD I have. That is why ASD is more helpful.

That's one of the main reasons for lumping everything together as ASD.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2022, 12:51 pm

I agree.