What happens to you if you can’t vent?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2021, 1:25 pm

Not just meaning you but if someone can’t vent?

Separately and same how would it effect you if your mind was controlled…like hypnosis/mind control/brain washing?

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2021, 2:09 pm

As not being able to cut the cheese?
I'd think that would be dangerous.
The polite way would be to do it in a restroom though.

/Mats

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2021, 2:16 pm

There are obvious downsides to being unable to express ones frustrations or emotions. One is that it can result in psychological trauma and compound already present conditions (or cause new ones to occur). That is not to say that being able to vent is at all times permissible. Doing so in a healthy and safe way is ok, doing so in a destructive or harmful way is not. This is going to be different for the individual and circumstance. An Autistic "vent" session may look different than an NT one, and both can be expressed as "healthy" in different ways. Unfortunately for Autists, most of what is defined as "healthy" is done so by NT's, so while it might be healthier, it is not always structured with consideration for Autistic barriers or needs in mind.

As for hypnosis or similar, I can not really describe or explain what happens because there is mixed information on what it looks like. Hypnosis is not always considered valid or even real depending on who you ask, while certain areas of psychology accept it's viability and even laud it's usage. The general notion, however, is that hypnosis tends to place you into a calm state that allows work to be done closer to the subconscious. You may not be aware of what is occurring during hypnosis, but most people seem to agree that A) you can't actually make somebody do something they do not want to do, and B) It is not actually the way it is portrayed in film or other media. At most it is closer to a deep meditative state.

But again, I do not in fact have any real information to share on the matter because of the mixed information available.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2021, 4:09 am

I go insane..you?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2021, 4:34 am

It's impossible for me not to vent. Expressing my feelings is as relieving as taking a dump.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2021, 1:14 pm

mohsart wrote:
As not being able to cut the cheese?
I'd think that would be dangerous.
The polite way would be to do it in a restroom though.

/Mats

That's the only thing which has made me laugh for weeks

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 4:11 pm

Ade C wrote:

Happy to oblige.
I was serious though, my knowlege of English is sometimes more limited than what it seems.

/Mats

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 4:22 pm

mohsart wrote:
Ade C wrote:

Happy to oblige.
I was serious though, my knowlege of English is sometimes more limited than what it seems.

/Mats

OP means vent like discuss/express emotionally stressful stuff.

Although vent seems like a good euphemism for farting. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 4:39 pm

Yea I got it after a while.

/Mats

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 5:38 pm

If I can't vent -- verbally, socially or emotionally...

It'll be rerouted elsewhere.
Like in a form of physical force used in destructive violence. :lol:

If physical means isn't allowed...
I would have to figure how to end the stress cycle that comes out of it -- else my body will do it for me.
Otherwise it'll just be rerouted straight into the endless pit of subconscious, nagging me at every chance it gets.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Sep 2021, 9:56 pm

Something Profound wrote:
... That is not to say that being able to vent is at all times permissible. Doing so in a healthy and safe way is ok...

I'm not completely sure I am on the same page about the definition of "venting"?

Technic1 wrote:

And, what do you mean by someone cannot?

I, personally, have (painfully :wall: , over decades :help: ) come to learn that constant "venting"--if defined as similar to "complaining to get something off your chest" to a friend or coworker or loved one--is not healthy.

Maybe some brief, verbal or non-verbal reaction or utterance is perfectly neutral or even somewhat helpful to clue in others (NTs at least) to a strong emotional reaction--as long as it isn't violent, outright rude, or a super common (approaching rude?) habit.

But, I'd like to suggest that "venting" as interpreted as "complaining" is not really healthy at all. See the link to comment about "venting" in the video "21 days without complaining":

8:00 - comment about venting: "Clothes dryers need to vent. People need to process."
https://youtu.be/T5uW1Rrf5Fg?t=480

vs

2:35 - Practicing healthy communication (eg polite feedback, to someone who can reasonably be expected to help the situation) is different from complaining:

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2021, 10:56 pm

Technic1 wrote:

Separately and same how would it effect you if your mind was controlled…like hypnosis/mind control/brain washing?

I think it depends on the person. Different people have different needs when it comes to that...some require a lot of it while others not so much. I imagine it would more severely and negatively impact those who need to vent a lot than those who don't. Really though, I think it would ultimately catch up to anyone if they couldn't vent at all. And from there the question becomes what happens to that person when they finally (metaphorically) go boom (internally or externally).

As for the second part, I'm not sure how to respond to that, so yeah, not going to.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2021, 3:18 pm

Depends what you mean, exactly.

'Venting' seems to most often refer to ranting angrily specifically, or emotionally splurging verbally in general.

Ranting has never been my thing. Even though I've done it, I hated it. It only further riled me up, and drained the people around me. The only time it helped was when I kept a private journal. At least there I could be a bit more reflective and constructive in my thoughts. And from that, I learned that reflection and problem solving were so much better mediums than ranting.

As far as emotional splurging goes, well.... as a guy who has mostly been fairly masculine all his life, emotional splurging has almost always been treated like the deathknell of ones manhood, so while growing up I was pretty stunted in that department and still have a lot of reluctance to do it to this day. Not to mention that intrinsic vulnerability of the process and peoples tendency to mishandle things they understand well, such as autism issues.

At this point, I treat emotionally splurging as more of an informative thing to do for other people's benefit, so they can learn more about what's going on in my head and stop doing things that are bad for me.

As far as other sources of 'venting';
1) I used to use exercise a lot as a way to vent. I'd go biking, rollerblading or running as a way to deal with some issues. I'd push my body and teeter on the breaking point to vent my anger and frustration. I particularly favored running since it pushed cardio a lot harder, and pushing the line of when you start to tunnel-vision (an indicator that you'll soon pass out) was very cathartic when I was angry.

2) Aside from the reflection and problem solving I learned from journaling, discussing things or just putting down my thoughts into words helps a lot too.

If I don't reflect, problem solve, discuss or exercise, I get increasingly stressed, frustrated and mentally disorganized...which really sucks cause it just increasingly aggravates my overall health when my mental health is too low to do any of those things.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2021, 7:09 am

mohsart wrote:
Yea I got it after a while.

/Mats

It's become less funny now I know it wasn't sarcasm

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2021, 11:28 pm

CinderashAutomaton wrote:
At this point, I treat emotionally splurging as more of an informative thing to do for other people's benefit, so they can learn more about what's going on in my head and stop doing things that are bad for me.

"emotionally splurging"?

I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. Could you give a hypothetical, real, or fictional example from a movie or TV episode?

CinderashAutomaton wrote:
2) Aside from the reflection and problem solving I learned from journaling, discussing things or just putting down my thoughts into words helps a lot too.

If I don't reflect, problem solve, discuss or exercise, I get increasingly stressed, frustrated and mentally disorganized...which really sucks cause it just increasingly aggravates my overall health when my mental health is too low to do any of those things.

journaling = {two thumbs up}

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2021, 12:20 am

[quote="EEngineer75"][quote="CinderashAutomaton"]
I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. Could you give a hypothetical, real, or fictional example from a movie or TV episode?[quote="CinderashAutomaton"]

Hmm, like just say when you're feeling very agitated by something that someone is doing, especially if it's harming you in some way, big or small, and the emotions get intense enough that you feel compelled to not just say something but to say a lot more than is even necessary to ask them to stop or otherwise change their behavior.

Another instance might be, say, when you're being discriminated against or bullied and due to the circumstance you have no choice but to just keep quiet and suffer, which causes a lot of emotions and dissatisfaction to build up in you. Then later, while talking to a friend, you feel the urge to rant about it.

It's like opening your emotional floodgates and just letting yourself say whatever you feel like saying; following your emotional impulse to speak a lot about what you're feeling.

I'm afraid I don't watch enough TV or movies nowadays to pull out a specific scene. I'd have to watch stuff all over again.