What happens to you if you can’t vent?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2021, 10:22 pm

Interesting question. Plenty of people will tell you that it's unhealthy not to vent and that it's like a boiler without an escape valve, building up pressure until it bursts and blows up the entire house, but I've not been able to find any empirical research that supports such theories. Not that I particularly doubt that it's unhealthy not to vent, just that as usual I'd like to see it evidence-based. I suppose the ethics of the necessary research might be a problem, but there are ways - study people who don't vent and compare them to people who do. Nothing unethical about that, so where are the studies?

I don't see how it would be possible to stop somebody from venting in some shape or form, even if it's only writing down their frustrations to express them. I feel - but don't know - that such venting is useful but less useful than talking to the right person at the right time and receiving empathic feedback. I would think that underventing's unhealthy results would include an increase in a person's general anger and frustration and make them miserable and possibly nastier to the life forms and things around them. I also feel - but don't know - that overventing or venting inappropriately can perpetuate the feelings of frustration. There used to be a belief that re-living and sharing traumatic experiences was therapeutic. Apparently it became popular with shrinks during WWI when they noticed traumatised soldiers were spontaneously re-living the horrors they'd been through. It was assumed to be an attempt to get closure, but that view has since been questioned. Similarly I would think there's some doubt about venting theory.

One thing that seems hard to contradict is that somebody who doesn't look at their bad experiences in much detail is unlikely to be able to figure out how to adjust their life. Just as with any problem, it often pays to think about it. And I've noticed that talking about my problems (practical or emotional) to receptive others tends to help clarify my grasp of what those problems are, especially with the right kind of feedback. Sometimes they see ways of viewing my problems that I haven't noticed, and seeing things in different lights can be helpful in understanding things.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 3:11 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Interesting question. Plenty of people will tell you that it's unhealthy not to vent and that it's like a boiler without an escape valve, building up pressure until it bursts and blows up the entire house, but I've not been able to find any empirical research that supports such theories.

Exactly! Many cultures, especially East Asian ones, greatly stress emotional restraint and wouldn't encourage venting, nor have the believe that surpressing emotions would be harmful. I don't think that there is evidence that these cultures have higher rates of physical or mental illness. Compared to the United States, they have much lower rates of most physical illnesses, but for probably other reasons.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 10:07 am

When I do not get to vent (which is rare now), my mind crosses over to the dark side. I become very malicious in my intents, whether I am aware of them or not. It is different than my creative Dr. Frankenstein side, as nothing good can be born from that mindset. My dark side only causes damage/death.

I was in this state almost constantly in junior high school while being bullied by classmates. Due to school administration siding with my bullies, I did not have a voice to express my anger. Getting revenge at any cost was my only goal there. I am surprised that I did not end up killing any of them at the time. My murderous intent was ready to play with them if needed.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 8:30 pm

It can damage your health, potentially even kill you:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3939772/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2021, 8:00 am

Whenever I get angry, I tend to want to get productive, instead.

I don’t always succeed in getting productive….but at least I am distracted enough not to do anything stupid.