Vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy - latest theory

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:16 am

Mother's vitamin D deficiency linked to offspring autism spectrum disorder

Quote:
Maternal vitamin D deficiency during pregnancy was associated with 44% increased risk of ASD in the offspring when compared to mothers who had sufficient levels of vitamin D during pregnancy. The study was conducted in collaboration with researchers from the University of Turku, Finland, and Columbia University, New York.

"The results are significant for public health as vitamin D deficiency is readily preventable," states first author, Professor Andre Sourander from the University of Turku, Finland.

The research group has previously shown that vitamin D deficiency is also associated with an increased risk of ADHD in the offspring.

The study included 1,558 cases of ASD and an equal number of matched controls born in Finland between January 1987 and December 2004, followed up until December 2015. The results were published in the Biological Psychiatry journal.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 9:28 am

I will add "Vitamin D Deficiency During Pregnancy" to the list.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 2:02 pm

Except its not the latest theory rather old news that`s been out for years.

Personally been taking vitamin D, C & Zinc since COVID. There`s a strong link between COVID death & low vitamin D.

C & Zinc are immune system boosters (all these taken & should be taken within Recommended Daily Allowance)

- George Bernie Shaw

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 2:05 pm

So us Northern hemisphere Scots and Scandinavians are snookered.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 7:33 am

I'm autistic but my twin isn't. How does that work?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 8:17 am

renaeden wrote:

Identical or fraternal?

I asked the same question on Reddit where I first saw this posted, well not about me, I'm not a twin, but I have an autistic relative with a non-autistic twin. They are fraternal. The reply I got was the vitamin D deficiency would affect both, but have different outcomes due to their different DNA.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 11:36 am

LOL. I don't think it would cause it, but it might change the severity. I think we all agree a healthy pregnancy is best for any child. My mother lacked (####) and produced a child with Autism (me) who also lacks (####) and produced a child with Autism. Funny thing is that my mom is Autistic also and she and I also produced children without Autism, sooooo --- lacking (####) may be associated with Autism, but does not necessarily cause it (although could manifest it differently).

Crap, my state is #1 (or almost) in the US for Vitamin D deficiency. Teasing: No wonder my child is Autistic!! !! Seriously: could I have "lessened" her Autism characteristics with increased Vitamin D supplements --- hmmm. Could I have been born male, had a supportive home environment, and now be VP (or at least Director) at a software company? Maybe if my mom had taken Vitamin D supplements!!

BTW - Thank you for the article. I am always glad for data points to consider.

ExcelsiorMom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Oct 2021, 1:09 pm

Does autism increase depending on different times of the year?

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 3:33 pm

ExcelsiorMom wrote:
Does autism increase depending on different times of the year?

When i read about vitamin D & autism a few years ago, they claimed spring babies are more likely to be autistic due to lack of vitamin D over the previous 9 months.

I don`t know if this is true or not? or whether more autistic people are born march - may?

Doesnt sound that credible but who knows :?

- George Bernie Shaw

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 9:57 am

Interesting. I don't think that vitamin D deficiency can be the singular cause of Autism but perhaps it is one contributing factor. I wouldn't rule that out. It would be interesting to see how many Autistic babies are born to families that spend most of their days outdoors especially in areas where there is an abundance of sunlight year round.

Wreck It Ralph

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 8:52 pm

hurtloam wrote:
renaeden wrote:

Identical or fraternal?

I asked the same question on Reddit where I first saw this posted, well not about me, I'm not a twin, but I have an autistic relative with a non-autistic twin. They are fraternal. The reply I got was the vitamin D deficiency would affect both, but have different outcomes due to their different DNA.
We're fraternal. So no more alike than regular sisters, I guess. The DNA explanation makes sense, thank you.

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2021, 11:35 pm

Actually it would make sense if this was true about vitamin D. Further to the North populations are more sparse, perhaps more advantageous to be on AS. I've always been drawn to the North.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 5:12 am

the earliest studies I could find on this subject were from 2014. Several countries have now studied this using different techniques and larger numbers trying to learn more, just as actual scientific research should proceed.

It was a huge breakthrough for human health when lack of B vitamins and folic acid was linked to neural/spinal defects and cleft palate.
I am watching with interest to learn if this theory is proven. thanks for the post

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 7:39 am

autisticelders wrote:
the earliest studies I could find on this subject were from 2014. Several countries have now studied this using different techniques and larger numbers trying to learn more, just as actual scientific research should proceed.

It was a huge breakthrough for human health when lack of B vitamins and folic acid was linked to neural/spinal defects and cleft palate.
I am watching with interest to learn if this theory is proven. thanks for the post

There is a more established link between low folinic acid in parents and autism in their kids

(Not to be confused with folic acid which is a different thing)

They have given calcium folinate to these kids then have seen an improvement in symptoms.

There’s lots of legitimate scientific papers on this that can be found on google.

One of the weird things about autism research is they find things that can potentially help a subset of autistic people release a scientific paper on it then it gets left on the shelf

Maybe the heterogeneous nature of autism causes this? They still expect to find a one size fits all drug that works with all of us.

You would think they would have learned their lesson by now :roll:

- George Bernie Shaw

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 1:44 pm

carlos55 wrote:
autisticelders wrote:

There is a more established link between low folinic acid in parents and autism in their kids

(Not to be confused with folic acid which is a different thing)

They have given calcium folinate to these kids then have seen an improvement in symptoms.

There’s lots of legitimate scientific papers on this that can be found on google.

One of the weird things about autism research is they find things that can potentially help a subset of autistic people release a scientific paper on it then it gets left on the shelf

Maybe the heterogeneous nature of autism causes this? They still expect to find a one size fits all drug that works with all of us.

You would think they would have learned their lesson by now :roll:
Yeah, it's so silly to think we can come up with a one sized fits all solution because the causes of Autism can vary so much.

Wreck It Ralph